3.2.29 - Collections (i.e. BoxSets) missing

khodges747
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

khodges747

After updating to 3.2.29 most of my 84 Collections were missing. I went from 84 Collections yesterday to 34 today. The files are all there, but not showing up in MBT or any other app. Also noticed a failure of the plugin Config Backup due to a missing method having the name Collections in it.

Reverting to 3.2.28 brought all Collections back instantly.

Here's a log file.

Note: I don't have the Messenger plugin installed.

server-63639499977.txt

You're not the only one.  I don't remember how many I have, but all of mine have disappeared.  I looked around, I didn't see anything about an update to 3.2.29, and I don't use the beta clients...

I was able to get 3.2.28 from Github and roll back to restore them.

khodges747

In my case, no.

They are all Collections using a collection.xml file and usually the movies are in the collection folder (e.g. all the Iron Man movies in a folder called Iron Man Collection, with a file named collection.xml).

In a few cases, the collection items are in different folders, and the <Collection-Item> coding is used in the xml file to reference the true location.

When they disappeared in 3.2.29, it was not all one type or the other that went away. Many were true collections whose folders simply didn't appear any longer, although the actual films were still in the database. And some were the other type.

I don't have any of the old legacy "Windows shortcut" type collections.

khodges747

Type 1

Folder named Iron Man Collection containing files

• Iron Man 1
  • Iron Man 2
  • Iron Man 3
  • collection.xml; this file does NOT contain references to the actual video files;Collection.xml
  • misc artwork

Type 2

Folder named Kevin Costner Collection containing files

• collection.xml; this file contains references to the actual video files, which are located in other folders in the librarycollection.xml
  • misc artwork

But like I said, it doesn't matter because some of BOTH types disappeared.

Both of those are legacy formats and have had limited support for quite a while.  Also, they don't get tested much anymore so they very well may have issues with new releases from time to time.

I would advise converting to the new server-based collections system if at all possible.

Happy2Play

Another format that has worked for years and now removed for no appearant reason.

• Like 2

Another format that has worked for years and now removed for no appearant reason.

This particular format has been phased out for quite a long time and, while I don't believe we did anything to specifically stop supporting it in the limited fashion we already were, it is not tested much so would be more likely to break.

Can you explain "server based collection method"? Do you mean simply creating the collection within EMBY via "add to collection"?

Here's the problem - I have my files sorted into directories & sub-directories manually (the way I want/like them) just and the OP describes above. I would be OK if the server would simply scan the subdirectories for files but it is now simply ignoring them altogether. I don't want to have to re-arrange my entire file system just to accommodate this change. Is it really that difficult to continue to support the folder.xml/collection.xml method?

Happy to hear any suggestions for alternatives that would not require rearranging of my entire file system.

• Like 3

khodges747

I agree with AEJ.

I don't think it's fair that the user has to modify an entire file system and/or organization to comply with updated software that breaks old systems. That's the opposite of user-friendly.

The only thing I see in any of this that is "legacy" is the fact that I use collection.xml files. Can it really be that hard to make sure that Emby Server continues to read collection.xml files now and in the future? You created collection.xml/folder.xml files, not the users. Don't penalize us now because we're using your creation as it was intended.

• Like 2

We do read collection.xml, that's how Emby boxsets work. Can we look at a specific example? thanks.

Happy2Play

As shown above Emby no longer reads legacy boxset.  A collection.xml in Collection folder.

Movies Library

Movies\Aliens Collection\collection.xml

Movies\Aliens Collection\Aliens.mkv

Grouping per library has never worked, but Emby always listed the Collection in Collections.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

By doesn't display you mean to say the collection is not visible? or the contents of the collection?

Happy2Play

When you click Collections in UI it only display Auto Boxset collections.  It use to display legacy Boxsets/nested folder structure also.

For me boxsets/Collections I create with MCM.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

khodges747

@@Luke,

You're making this hard. I had to reinstall 3.2.29 to see exactly how it was working.

A Collection will not show up in the Collections folder of MBT, nor in the Metadata Manager of Server, nor any other app I use, but if I do a search for any title in that collection I can find it, and play it. So, the server sees the files inside a collection, but not the Collection metadata.

example: The app MBT will NOT display my Back to the Future Collection, but I can find and play any of the 3 films in that Collection using the search function.

Here's the Collection.xml file for this that collection.  collection.xml

Again, some of these non-displayed collections are legacy, file-based physical organizations, and others are "virtual" collections made of files in different locations that are referenced in a collection.xml file.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Right now Emby is only displaying collections locatde in \Emby-Server\data\collections.  Where before Emby would honor the collection.xml within the movie library and display it in Collections.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

khodges747

@@Luke,

It now appears that only Collections made using the "Add to Collection" function are displaying. So I was wrong about "both types" not displaying. Only legacy, file system based collections (with video files in sub-folders of a collection, like Happy2Play's example above) are NOT displaying.

Sorry for the confusion. My bad.

• Like 1

Ok so it's not completely absent from your Emby library, it is only missing underneath the special Collections menu, is that correct?

ryanruck

A long time Media Browser and now Emby user here chiming in for the first time since I'm having the exact same issue since upgrading as well.

All of my box sets and collections have disappeared from Emby. Files are all right where they belong on their drives, just can't see them in Emby for browsing/viewing.

I use Media Center Master for managing my collections, metadata, etc. and find what is apparently the legacy format far easier to keep my rather extensive content collection (2,047 movies and 148 TV shows according to MCM) organized than the newer server based collections system.

Personally speaking, I would really appreciate seeing this issue resolved and, even if the older format isn't actively developed, at least ensured that it continues to work with future releases rather than simply orphaned to die off. I've been a happy user of MB/Emby for a very long time and like other posters stated, I am not really interested in having to manually revamp the file structure of my complete library to something that isn't necessarily easier for me to use for full functionality of the program.

• Like 3

ryanruck

A long time Media Browser and now Emby user here chiming in for the first time since I'm having the exact same issue since upgrading as well.

All of my box sets and collections have disappeared from Emby. Files are all right where they belong on their drives, just can't see them in Emby for browsing/viewing.

I use Media Center Master for managing my collections, metadata, etc. and find what is apparently the legacy format far easier to keep my rather extensive content collection (2,047 movies and 148 TV shows according to MCM) organized than the newer server based collections system.

Personally speaking, I would really appreciate seeing this issue resolved and, even if the older format isn't actively developed, at least ensured that it continues to work with future releases rather than simply orphaned to die off. I've been a happy user of MB/Emby for a very long time and like other posters stated, I am not really interested in having to manually revamp the file structure of my complete library to something that isn't necessarily easier for me to use for full functionality of the program.

Just wanted to post a quick follow-up.

I reverted to 3.2.28 as well and did a manual library scan. All of my collections are now back.

• Like 2