Multiple subtitle issues

Clark

Hi all, sorry I've been away for a while, I've still been testing a lot though with the Roku beta app.

I recently added a new library for files with srt subtitles. And then I ran into two major issues.

• Issue 1 - I'd like the subtitles to play by default for all files in the library (Edit: by all files in the library I mean all files in the new media folder that was set up, not across all the media folders) even though all videos are english audio and english subs. I've tried setting the subtitle config as default in the metadata file, doesn't make a difference. Then I tried forcing it, which doesnt work either...at first. If I play the video file, and enable subtitles while playing, then on all subsequent plays of that file, the subtitles automatically play. The metadata file does not change, it just 'remembers' that subtitles were enabled the first time. This survives server and client reboots.

• Issue 2 -Every time I enable subtitles during a video, it will reload and play with subtitles like it should. However, I then get the no compatible streams error if I try to play a different video afterwards. This is easily fixed by restarting the app, but clearly is not what is supposed to happen.

All the subtitle files are srt format.  Is there a correct way to always force subtitles to play for a particular video? Or better yet for all videos in a library? Issue two mentioned above only happens with external subtitles. From past experience, embedded subtitles work fine.

Edited by Clark

• Issue 2 -Every time I enable subtitles during a video, it will reload and play with subtitles like it should. However, I then get the no compatible streams error if I try to play a different video afterwards. This is easily fixed by restarting the app, but clearly is not what is supposed to happen.

Can you please follow the instructions to reproduce this and send a log from the app?  Then also attach the server log here.  Thanks.

Instead of "Default" it sounds like you want to select the option "Always play subtitles".

When I had first set up Emby, the default settings played subtitles for every file that had it, and I had to manually turn off subtitles every time a new video loaded. I cannot recall what I had changed in user preferences, but currently the setting for subtitle mode is 'Smart'. 'Always play subtitles' would work of course, but then the only files I'd like to play with subtitles are the ones in that library.

Based on your first post it sounds like you want the Always Play Subtitles option.

Ah...I may have been misunderstood. I edited the first post to put it across better. I added a new media folder in addition to what I already have, for example, TV, Movies, and now a new one Subtitled Videos. I only want subtitles to play when I select files in Subtitled Videos, not when watching a TV episode or a movie from the other media folders.

Ok, we don't have that setting available per library, so you will just want to configure the setting based on what you use the most. That will be your default behavior, and then from there you can adjust at the time of playback. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.