What is Instant mix?

bigeyez
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

bigeyez

Hi

​Can someone explain me how the instant mix works? It is a bit weird that instant mix does not show up in the menu and I have to dial down to an album to instant mix but then it grabs other albums artists etc. So I really want to understand how the instant mix and shuffle works in this respect.

​I wish there was a global button that can let me mix and shuffle without going to albums or songs. Like a global item that randomizes based on the current pane view.

• Solution

Shuffle: Take all the items contained within the item I just requested to shuffle, randomly sort them and play them.

Instant Mix: Take the characteristics of the item I selected and then search my entire library for items with the same characteristics, randomly sort them and play them.

Think of Instant Mix like a Pandora station that only uses your content.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

On the otherhand how do I shuffle my whole library and play the shuffled list?

Right click on your Library on the Home Screen and select Shuffle.

bigeyez

@@Happy2Play thanks for the reply.

I kind of tried that before too and I tried it now as well. There is no shuffle in the menu. There are things like add to collection, playlist, mark as played etc. There is not even a "play selected" kind of thing.

Edited by bigeyez

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play thanks for the reply.

I kind of tried that before too and I tried it now as well. There is no shuffle in the menu. There are things like add to collection, playlist, mark as played etc. There is not even a "play selected" kind of thing.

Here is what I get when I right click on my Music Library.

59a390676cfa4_music.jpg

• Like 1

bigeyez

@@Happy2Play
I do not get a special "right click" menu. What I get is a selection mode where I can make selection and there  is a triple dot on the right top conrner that has some menu items. I am using Chrome on Linux.

​I can get a menu similar to yours with long click (which gives a tipple dot click item), and has pretty much the same menu except that I do not have shuffle but I have "share, sync" additionally. No instant mix either there.

59a393b606f03_Selection_002.png

Edited by bigeyez

Happy2Play

I have those options disabled.  Not sure why shuffle doesn't appear for you though.

@@Luke

Any thoughts on why shuffle would not appear?

bigeyez

I have shuffle listed only when I select an album, which is almost useless, I mean shuffling the very same album does not do much good ;)

I have shuffle listed only when I select an album, which is almost useless, I mean shuffling the very same album does not do much good ;)

Not sure why you think that is useless?

That is a way to play all the songs from that album in a random order so it will be different each time...

bigeyez

​Well sure, kind of useful but I like to shufle multiple albums/artists and I cant seem to find a way to do that in Emby atm :(

i agree we need a way to shuffle and instant mix the entire library. it's something we can look at for a future update. thanks !

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
heciruam

Well when I click on instant click in my music library, I will also get a lot of audiobooks tracks from my audiobook library.

My question is if I can tell Emby to only use the music library when I use "instant mix".

Edited by heciruam

Books covers both ebooks and audio books.

To answer the question - yes instant mix should probably be limited to the library you started in, but for an immediate workaround you could use the books content type.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

​It looks like there is a  nice shuffle and play buttons at the top of my album view in the beta. I am guessing you guyz implemented this recently?

i agree we need a way to shuffle and instant mix the entire library. it's something we can look at for a future update. thanks !

Awesome addition. Thanks for implementing it.

Quick question, is the shuffle operating on the whole of the current library or on the currently open album page? I have a rather large library so hard to understand exactly how it pull it together.

Edited by bigeyez

Happy2Play

Awesome addition. Thanks for implementing it.

Quick question, is the shuffle operating on the whole of the current library or on the currently open album page? I have a rather large library so hard to understand exactly how it pull it together.

I believe it depends on what level you are selecting shuffle.