WD red or AV ?

cTurtle98

cTurtle98

hello,

I have decided to upgrade the hard drive in my emby server from running off the internal 120gb drive to a deadicated drive for my media library.

I found this sale on wd drives

https://computers.woot.com/offers/wd-1tb-surveillance-internal-hard-drives-1?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_11_1

I am going to get one of the purple drives for my zoneminder but im wondering

is WD Red or WD av better for emby, I cant find any comparasons online

Happy2Play

Guest asrequested

Personally I would never buy a "Used" drive though.

I was just pointing to the drive, not recommending a used one.

dcrdev

Yep definitely don't go wd red for a single disk, they only make sense in an array.

The HGST drives are mean't to be some of the best - good recommendation, I believe in a study done by Google and few other companies, the HGST drives had the lowest failure rate of all the 'prosumer' drives. 

CBers

It seems daft that the HGST drives have a lower failure rate than the WD ones, seeing as WD own HGST :)

Guest asrequested

It seems daft that the HGST drives have a lower failure rate than the WD ones, seeing as WD own HGST :)

WD are just the parent company. HGST (hitachi) is a separate company with its own technologies.

CBers

WD are just the parent company. HGST (hitachi) is a separate company with its own technologies.

HGST is a wholly owned subsidiary of WD, but you'd think they would utilise technology that they have within the group.

PenkethBoy

IIRC HGST has to stay separte for 2 years as part of the deal

Once that expires then all bets are off - hopefully WD uses HGST processes - time will tell

naeonline

Get the HGST Helium drives if you can as they are the best and have the lowest failure rates, or WD Red PRO because the WD Red PRO warranty is 5 yrs and not 2/3.

CBers

IIRC HGST has to stay separte for 2 years as part of the deal

Once that expires then all bets are off - hopefully WD uses HGST processes - time will tell

According to Wikipedia (!!), that agreement expires Oct this year.

PenkethBoy

ok then - HGST drives may or may not get worse after that

but hopefully WD get better

Guest asrequested

It would be foolish if they change a winning product. But such idiocies have happened before. Time to buy a bunch of HGST drives :D

Check the Warranty on anything you buy.  The Reds come with a good Warranty and balanced performance.  It all comes down to capacity and warranty with pricing.   

Happy2Play

I'd rather them not fail :D

Just a matter if time.

PenkethBoy

Check the Warranty on anything you buy.  The Reds come with a good Warranty and balanced performance.  It all comes down to capacity and warranty with pricing.   

and speed :)

cTurtle98

is there any difference between the apple branded hitachi drives and the regular hitachi drives you all are linking me to becausde i have a bunch of hitachi apple branded drives from macs and they all are sooooo shitty with R/W

PenkethBoy

depends on the model numbers and spec

the HGST drives i have are NAS spec drives HDN724040AL - 4TB ~170MB/s with large files and the disk empty