Lock profile settings

revengineer

revengineer

I am pretty sure there once used to be a setting that allowed locking the profile settings for certain users. We have a standard user account for viewing and I do not want folks to mess with the profile settings. Anybody knows where to find this?

darkassassin07

This option used to be under the profile settings of a user (server-side) but i don't see it now :/

Id like to know what happened to it as well...

The problem is that user preferences have been gradually getting blended into the UI as well as those settings screens. Given that this is the case, at what point are these settings, and at what point are these just toggles and filters that get remembered the next time you come back. Taking those questions into account, the option is simply no longer feasible for us. It is just not going to be realistic to have to update every part of the UI of every app to respect a security setting like this. We would just never get anything done if that's the case.

What is realistic is the ability to lock the profile image and password, so that is something that could come back. Another type of thing that might be realistic would be to start new sessions with a blank set of saved data, which then would let them toggle whatever they want and it wouldn't be persisted.

darkassassin07

That's fair.

Just now looking through the list of user settings, there's only a couple things i would want to limit at all:

- not allowing users to have no password at all (especially for wan accessible servers)

- play next, to prevent idle clients continuing to stream

- camera upload. I don't want users uploading anything to my server, and there currently seems to be no way to prevent this.

- and possibly the profile image as it is visible to all clients if you display your users on the login screen

revengineer

I thought that it might be possible to simply not expose the "Settings" for select users. So the menu when clicking the user picture in top right has only one option, which is "sign out". All the others can be set by the administrator through the admin gui. If you say this is too hard, i take your word for it.

I did notice that for non-admin user, the password change option under Settings ->  Profile is not available. Also, the image seems to be unchangeable. These are good behaviors.

I thought that it might be possible to simply not expose the "Settings" for select users. So the menu when clicking the user picture in top right has only one option, which is "sign out". All the others can be set by the administrator through the admin gui. If you say this is too hard, i take your word for it.

If the settings only existed in that one area, then that would be easy. But now we are making an effort to blend them into the regular interface in order to make them easier to find. So that's the tricky part.

revengineer

If the settings only existed in that one area, then that would be easy. But now we are making an effort to blend them into the regular interface in order to make them easier to find. So that's the tricky part.

I think I understand. But one things has me puzzled. The profile settings do look different when viewed as (admin gui -> users -> Edit this user's profile, image and personal preferences -> Profile) from those shows for non-admin users access as (user gui -> user image (top right) -> Profile). Are you saying that making these paths show different settings pages is difficult?

No, let me give an example. Notice how those settings screens have playback related settings. We also want to get those settings embedded directly into the video player where people can find them more easily. So now in order to accommodate a setting to hide all those options, this not only affects the settings screens, but then it also affects the video player UI of every app.

darkassassin07

Can i ask why you want to lock/hide all a users personal settings?

The vast majority of them are solely personal preference like what order your home screen is in or how subtitles are displayed for you.

Restricting access to these just makes a user experience extremely frustrating. Personally I change my subtitle setting quite regularly (casting requires you to force them on to be displayed at all, but normal playback i dont want them on)

Happy2Play

The vast majority of them are solely personal preference like what order your home screen is in or how subtitles are displayed for you.

Restricting access to these just makes a user experience extremely frustrating. Personally I change my subtitle setting quite regularly (casting requires you to force them on to be displayed at all, but normal playback i dont want them on)

I think it is more toward the environment the server is being used in.

Happy2Play

If it is just the web browsers then you can use css to hide the icon.

/*Hide User Icon*/
.headerUserButtonRound {display:none; }

revengineer

No, let me give an example. Notice how those settings screens have playback related settings. We also want to get those settings embedded directly into the video player where people can find them more easily. So now in order to accommodate a setting to hide all those options, this not only affects the settings screens, but then it also affects the video player UI of every app.

Ah, now I get it. My primary thought was to lock down the "Home Screen" settings, i.e., ordering of section. Such lock down then seems feasible and does not interfere with options in the video player.

revengineer

I mainly want to prevent folks (kids) from changing the home screen layout. After reading Luke's comment i thought it would be easier to lock all settings down. I did misunderstand him though, so maybe just the "Home Screen" settings can be locked down just like the "Profile" settings.