Two HDHR Primes in a 1U rack mount enclosure

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

You've got your coax splitter mounted in the enclosure. That probably has something to do with it. I won't be doing that. I use a booster that sits on the floor. Also, I intend to mount the PoE splitters in their cases, so they should be insulated. I have plenty of room for them.

You've got your coax splitter mounted in the enclosure. That probably has something to do with it. I won't be doing that. I use a booster that sits on the floor. Also, I intend to mount the PoE splitters in their cases, so they should be insulated. I have plenty of room for them

I believe the issue is that all coax in a house share the the same ground so this screws with the galvanic isolation of the poe switch. Even if you kept the PoE splitter in the case and the booster on the floor the shielding in the coaxial will connect the grounds of both primes together causing the switch to think its one device. 

Edited by rog

Guest asrequested

I believe the issue is that all coax in a house share the the same ground so this screws with the galvanic isolation of the poe switch. Even if you kept the PoE splitter in the case and the booster on the floor the shielding in the coaxial will connect the grounds of both primes together causing the switch to think its one device. 

That only applies if the coax is grounded. I used to install satellite TV. Many coax systems are not grounded, and are separate systems. Having said that, if the F connectors are touching something that is grounded, all bets are off. Any grounding would be carried through the braid. I make all my own cables, I wonder if I could insulate the braid, in some way? Or maybe split the insulation, cut out the braid and then compress the fitting on? That might be an interesting experiment.

Since i don't have control of how the coax is terminated on Comcast end I don't think ill be able to avoid this issue without an isolated DC/DC converter between the prime and the poe splitter . Here is a very similar situation on the ubnt forum, i'm surprised my primes are still alive since I burnt out an old cable modem with the same POE splitter.

Edited by rog

Guest asrequested

Since i don't have control of how the coax is terminated on Comcast end I don't think ill be able to avoid this issue without an isolated DC/DC converter between the prime and the poe splitter . Here is a very similar situation on the ubnt forum, i'm surprised my primes are still alive since I burnt out an old cable modem with the same POE splitter.

Interesting. 

This splitter would seem to be safe to use. But a bit too expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Tycon-Systems-POE-SPLT-4812G-Gigabit-Splitter/dp/B00BNI099A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513473354&sr=8-1&keywords=POE-SPLT-4812G

Yeah, that splitter cost more than I was planning to spend on this project so I just put the box together with the parts I had on hand. Here are the final results.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg
Edited by rog

Guest asrequested

Yeah, it did seem like a bit too much work and money. Part of the reason I've left for lid off mine, is to give access to the cable cards. Initially, I was going to modify the enclosure to have them sticking out of the back. I may look for one that is small enough that I don't have to cut it in half. And is the right depth for the cards.

Yeah, it did seem like a bit too much work and money. Part of the reason I've left for lid off mine, is to give access to the cable cards. Initially, I was going to modify the enclosure to have them sticking out of the back. I may look for one that is small enough that I don't have to cut it in half. And is the right depth for the cards.

I agree, it was definitely a waste of time/$. I don’t know what it is about rackmount equipment that makes me lose my mind.

Edited by rog

Guest asrequested

I agree, it was definitely a waste of time/$. I don’t know what it is about rackmount equipment that makes me lose my mind.

Ha! Yeah, I try not to let my "Oh! I could do..." exuberance, override the "It just isn't worth doing it" sobriety. But it does get the better of me, sometimes :D

mediacowboy

Yes I’m using the factory power adapter via panel mount barrel plugs.

Thanks. If I ever get to buy a rack I would definitely want to duplicate this with one barrel plug and a splitter internally Edited by mediacowboy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
dVIAN1313
On 12/18/2017 at 11:12 AM, Guest rog said:

Yeah, that splitter cost more than I was planning to spend on this project so I just put the box together with the parts I had on hand. Here are the final results.

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg

fantastic build!! did you ever create a bill of materials that were used? I'd love to get a jump start not having to figure out all of the different pieces you had. :) thanks!