Two HDHR Primes in a 1U rack mount enclosure

Guest asrequested

Happy2Play

I want to see pics of all of your new toys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well he put one to work here.

mediacowboy

Well he put one to work here.

Yeah after I posted I saw it. Stupid tapatalk isn't notifying me or showing correct updates to threads I follow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
mediacowboy

Do you think you could run both off one power connector? I am about to switch to a different desk and would love build a enclosure for both and just have one coaxial and power cable going to the unit

Guest asrequested

As long as the transformer is rated high enough to support two it should be no problem. Are you going to add a small switch, too.

Latchmor

Do you think you could run both off one power connector? I am about to switch to a different desk and would love build a enclosure for both and just have one coaxial and power cable going to the unit

Hi, I realise there is a difference in tuners but if it helps I've been powering 2 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Compatible-HDHR4-2DT-UK/dp/B00Y2JYZOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510344593&sr=8-1&keywords=hdhomerun

With one adaptor and one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XHJOGHY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for a couple years now.

mediacowboy

I was thinking something like the pigtail near the bottom of the enclosure and a coaxial spilter. I'll have to draw something up.

mediacowboy

That was what I was going to do, but there are two patch cables, too. So you'll need to consider those, too.

Didnt even things of those but could hot glue two of these inside the enclosure next to the power and coaxial.

RJ45 Cat5e Keystone Jack - Pass Through Panel Mount - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054RS9AC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8NHbAbDGYRJ05

Really wish silicondust would get into high gear on their 6 tuner 1 card prime.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice work, I have been thinking about doing the same for a couple of years and your post gave me the push I needed. Here is what I have so far, I plan on  powering both units via poe using a poe splitter. I also had to add LED's for the tuner since i gave my old primes and the newer models no longer have tuner LEDs.

5a330408d1f25_IMG_0143.jpg

5a33041ddc35d_IMG_0145.jpg

Edited by rog

Guest asrequested

How are you going to make the PoE?

Oh you mean split the power out? Nice! I have a PoE switch. I'll look into that.

Edited by Doofus

mediacowboy

Nice work, I have been thinking about doing the same for a couple of years and your post gave me the push I needed. Here is what I have so far, I plan on powering both units via poe using a poe splitter. I also had to add LED's for the tuner since i gave my old primes and the newer models no longer have tuner LEDs.

5a330408d1f25_IMG_0143.jpg

5a33041ddc35d_IMG_0145.jpg

Please keep us updated. This is a interesting idea I might achieve one day.

Looks like your coaxial splitter is facing to the front?

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

How are you going to make the PoE?

Oh you mean split the power out? Nice! I have a PoE switch. I'll look into that.

Never thought of doing it that way.

I am using this poe splitter, I plan to power it via my Unifi switch. The prime comes with a 3A power adapter but never pulls more than 1.2A so its within the specs of the POE splitter, going this route also allows me to cycle power to the primes remotely

Edited by rog

mediacowboy

I am using this poe splitter, I plan to power it via my Unifi switch. The prime comes with a 3A power adapter but never pulls more than 1.2A so its within the specs of the splitter, going this route also allows me to cycle power to the primes remotely

You going to use two of those?

Please keep us updated. This is a interesting idea I might achieve one day.

Looks like your coaxial splitter is facing to the front?

The splitter location has change since I took those pics. I'll post newer pictures once I receive the second poe adapter.

mediacowboy

Yeah, I took it out the case and plan to stack them using standoffs.

5a330aad54508_IMG_0168.jpg

Nice you plan on putting a lid on it? I guess so if your pulling everything out of the cases.

I'm assuming that the voltage is the same? I've never looked at that.

Yeah it I has selectable voltage.

Nice you plan on putting a lid on it? I guess so if your pulling everything out of the cases.

The rackmount case im currently using is pretty old and missing parts so I ordered a new case that should arrive tomorrow.

Looks like my Poe idea is dead for now. I received my second poe adapter and I am having a ground loop issue with when the coax is connect to both primes. When the 2 adapters are connected, both primes end up pulling power from only 1 poe splitter. I have a fews ideas how to solve this problem so ill let you guys know once I figured it out.