Two HDHR Primes in a 1U rack mount enclosure

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

I have 2 HDHomerun Prime units. I wanted to buy their rack mount unit, but it is too expensive. So the plan is to take them apart and put them in an inexpensive 1U enclosure. I was able to find one on eBay, pretty easily. The bonus with the unit is that it come disassembled and you screw it together. This is good, because I intend to modify it to accommodate the Primes, more suitably. Here's a picture of the start of the project. I will update as I progress.

59a1cbd3ede37_IMAG00251.jpg

The first thing to note is that the very small screws that hold the HDHR together, are Torx not Phillips. Fortunately, I have a set of Torx 'tweaker' screwdrivers.

The size you'll need is a T6

59a1cebc7c3e9_IMAG00271.jpg

59a1cee810e6e_IMAG00291.jpg

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

mwongjay

I have 2 HDHomerun Prime units. I wanted to buy their rack mount unit, but it is too expensive. So the plan is to take them apart and put them in an inexpensive 1U enclosure. I was able to find one on eBay, pretty easily. The bonus with the unit is that it come disassembled and you screw it together. This good, because I intend to modify it to accommodate the Primes, more suitably. Here's a picture of the start of the project. I will update as I progress.

59a1cbd3ede37_IMAG00251.jpg

The first thing to note is that the very small screws that hold the HDHR together, are Torx not Phillips. Fortunately, I have a set of Torx 'tweakers' screwdrivers.

The size you'll need is a T6

59a1cebc7c3e9_IMAG00271.jpg

59a1cee810e6e_IMAG00291.jpg

Just curious why you decided to put these in a 1u enclosure vs using velcro and attaching them to a chassis? This voids the warranty, but I suppose if you're outside of warranty it wouldn't matter as much.

Guest asrequested

Just curious why you decided to put these in a 1u enclosure vs using velcro and attaching them to a chassis? This voids the warranty, but I suppose if you're outside of warranty it wouldn't matter as much.

One is more that a year old and the other I bought used. But I'd do this, anyway. They're pretty cheap. The main reason I'm doing this is, well, because I want to lol. I presently have them stacked on top of my rack. I want them to be visible, as I monitor the LEDs for activity and/or errors. Oddly enough, I still won't be able to mount this, as I have no more room on the rack :D So it'll sit very neatly on top, and blend in. Or at least that's the intent.

mwongjay

One is more that a year old and the other I bought used. But I'd do this, anyway. They're pretty cheap. The main reason I'm doing this is, well, because I want to lol. I presently have them stacked on top of my rack. I want them to be visible, as I monitor the LEDs for activity and/or errors. Oddly enough, I still won't be able to mount this, as I have no more room on the rack :D So it'll sit very neatly on top, and blend in. Or at least that's the intent.

Cool. Look forward to seeing the final implementation. Are you drilling holes and mounting led's to the front panel to show the activity?

Guest asrequested

Cool. Look forward to seeing the final implementation. Are you drilling holes and mounting led's to the front panel to show the activity?

The internal units are all soldered together. So what I'm planning to do is mount them at the front, with the LEDs in holes I will drill. I'm looking at that, right now. I'll have more pics in a bit.

Guest asrequested

Once you take the screws out, the unit easily slides apart.

59a1e1151363d_IMAG00311.jpg

I found some threaded aluminum posts to use as mounts.

59a1e0729bcca_IMAG00351.jpg

The enclosure has a frame that you bolt together.

59a1e196257e2_IMAG00321.jpg

59a1e1fa75b64_IMAG00331.jpg

As the enclosure assembles, I can mark and drill the holes from the outside, then flip the plate. The fame is a U shaped channel, so drilling inside that would have been a pain. 

59a1e2c525a36_IMAG00361.jpg

maegibbons

Interesting Project.  I'm Think of 3 Connects in a 1u Enclosure.

More pics when you can!

Krs

Mark

Guest asrequested

Holes drilled in frame for the LEDs. It looks awful, but all of that will be behind the face plate. Now I have to drill the face plate. I know I'm gonna eff it up lol

59a1f0031745a_IMAG00381.jpg

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

How many primes you think will fit in that enclosure?

If you don't care about the LEDs, three. Technically, 4, but that would leave very little room for cabling. I'm only putting in two, because I want the LEDs.

mediacowboy

I would want the LEDs. I wonder if stacking them in a 2u would work? Anyways love the details you have posted and like the idea.

Will you be cutting it in half to keep the card and coaxial out the back?

Guest asrequested

I would want the LEDs. I wonder if stacking them in a 2u would work? Anyways love the details you have posted and like the idea.

Will you be cutting it in half to keep the card and coaxial out the back?

I actually thought about a 2U. I think that would work, really well. But 6 tuners is more than enough for my needs.

I may just leave the back part of the frame, off. Then the whole back end will be open. To cut this well, I need to take it to a machinist or a fabricator. I was intending to do that, but now that I'm messing with it, I think leaving the back open will be ok.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I can already tell that the LEDs won't be flush with the front. The face plate is 3mm thick, and the LEDs are in the frame, behind it. Maybe I can find fiber optic plugs to put in the face plate and bring the light forward?

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I'm getting there. Without having a drill press and proper work bench, the holes, sadly aren't perfect. But there's always a chance for some finesse, later. One unit in!

59a2072978ac1_IMAG00391.jpg

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

And we are live! A couple of pics before I put the lid on. The brightness of the freshly drilled aluminum is helping with the LEDs. Not bad for a little afternoon project. I'm going to leave the back of the frame off, for now. I may do something more with it in the future.

59a20cc8bc988_IMAG00411.jpg

59a20cf3e0aba_IMAG00421.jpg

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

And the final picture, with the lid on and my Unifi AP in the background.

59a20f22286d5_IMAG00431.jpg

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

mwongjay

I'm getting there. Without having a drill press and proper work bench, the holes, sadly aren't perfect. But there's always a chance for some finesse, later. One unit in!

59a2072978ac1_IMAG00391.jpg

Next time you can get a scrap piece of material and create a jig so you know your holes are on point then use a clamp to hold it when you drill. Also, if you decide to go the extra mile you might consider desoldering the led's and grab some replacements that you can position further forward. Do you think a black permanent marker would darken the raw metal from drilling? Never tried using it on metal. Good job though!

Edited by mwongjay
  • Like 1

mediacowboy

I think if he uses a marker to darken the holes the LEDs won't be as bright.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Next time you can get a scrap piece of material and create a jig so you know your holes are on point then use a clamp to hold it when you drill. Also, if you decide to go the extra mile you might consider desoldering the led's and grab some replacements that you can position further forward. Do you think a black permanent marker would darken the raw metal from drilling? Never tried using it on metal. Good job though!

The clean metal is actually making it glow. The thing is about making the jig, I would have to drill that in the same way I drilled the enclosure. I have a bunch of tools, but no bench or workplace for metal-working. And I'll be honest, this was just a kinda 'can I even make this work' deal :) As for the LEDs, I may re-mount the primes at the back, and get some fiber opt to run to the front. But as of right now, it's working quite nicely.

59a22f09417dd_IMAG00441.jpg

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

A little update. I was finally able to mount this in my rack. Rather than cut the enclosure in half, I figured if I left the top off, I could put it at the top of the rack. It's an open frame, which allows me all the access I want, and has great ventilation. I have made a steel plate that sits on top the rack, for me to put things like my modem, on. This also provides structural shelter for the TV tuners. Here are some pics.

59bd87a732d63_IMAG00661.jpg

59bd87d644017_IMAG00671.jpg

Edited by Doofus