Emby Server keeps my PC (Server) awake

heula

Hi,

I do not use the emby mobile app at all.

Whenever I look into my server's dashboard, it says he has seen me some time ago. The thing is: Most times, that is not true. I haven't used emby in most of the cases.

59ba7c910fe13_201709EmbyError.png

Regards, Thorsten

Hi,

I do not use the emby mobile app at all.

Whenever I look into my server's dashboard, it says he has seen me some time ago. The thing is: Most times, that is not true. I haven't used emby in most of the cases.

59ba7c910fe13_201709EmbyError.png

Regards, Thorsten

That is the session with which you are viewing the dashboard right then.

Thanks to heula (post #23) I got my problem solved.

With no unwanted side effects - because I'm using WMC, I guess.

But I would still like to see some support on the topic.

I don't know if it is Windows/Emby/Android App - but something has changed.

And it is potentially quite a number of PC/servers burning unneeded power and hardware because they stay awake.

Thanks to heula (post #23) I got my problem solved.

With no unwanted side effects - because I'm using WMC, I guess.

But I would still like to see some support on the topic.

I don't know if it is Windows/Emby/Android App - but something has changed.

And it is potentially quite a number of PC/servers burning unneeded power and hardware because they stay awake.

I have actually, in post #19 and #21, and am looking forward to responses so that I can investigate further. Thanks !

Thanks for getting back!

Things are circling, I'm afraid.

In post #22 I asked which kind of evidence you need to investigate further - and added some info.

And heula adds information in #23.

So, when these responses are not useful - what do you need ?

And heula adds information in #23.

@@pju, the more information the better. When a problem is difficult to track down, one report from one user is often not enough. That is why I've asked you to provide the same kind of detail that heula has.

Also please try Emby Server 3.2.31. Thanks !

@@pju, the more information the better. When a problem is difficult to track down, one report from one user is often not enough. That is why I've asked you to provide the same kind of detail that heula has.

Also please try Emby Server 3.2.31. Thanks !

Fair enough - I'll keep it in mind.

I have installed 3.2.31 and will start checking.

Is it btw possible somehow to list connected devices (like in GUI) from command line?

I have a cmd-script run by Windows scheduler, listing powercfg status every hour. It could be so very nice also to be able to see Emby status.

Seems to be same problem. I did as follows:

• Woke up my Win7 - no GUI applications active.
    ​A "powercfg -requests" showed no entries
  • Checked active devices in Dashboard
    ​Only the one belonging to the browser.
  • Started Emby App on my Android phone and surfed around in my movie library, looking up movies and actors info.
  • The phone was shown as Active in Dashboard.
  • After some minutes "powercfg -requests" showed Mediabrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    ​(why not at once ?)
  • I backgrounded Emby App on the phone, locked the phone and left it connected to the LAN.
  • A couple of hours later Win7 was still awake (looking at the disk LED on the front).
  • I rebooted the phone.
  • Win7 fell asleep.

So, I did not use Win7 for anything but a browser Dashboard session and a CMD to run powercfg.

To me it looks like Emby Server tells Windows not fall asleep - as seen in powercfg -requests.

Which is logic/needed behavior when viewing medias via Emby Server.

But, for those of us not doing that, it is an unwanted behavior.

And we would like to be able to disable it, keeping Mediabrowser.ServerApplication.exe from showing in powercfg -requests

darkassassin07

I think emby just needs better handling for when it considers itself to be active (ie when it keeps the server awake). Becoming inactive if no user is currently streaming media, as well as briefly becoming active when users load pages.

If a user is connected, but sitting in the library browser for hours on end they obviously arent active. Those users should be disconnected with the message 'you have been logged out due to inactivity'

@@pju how are you waking your server with wol (if you are)? Do you use a separate app to send a magic packet, or have magic packets disabled?

Im struggling with this very problem, id like users to wake the server just by connecting, but magic packets disabled means random network traffic wake it :/

Edited by darkassassin07

@darkassassin07 I use a separate app called mc-wol.exe.

But, the again, my setup is user-free in the sense that it is just a home setup. So for most purposes the wake-up for viewing something comes from the mouse.

​I only use mc-wol out of laziness when I want to connect from another computer on my net.

Edited by pju

darkassassin07

Ah ok, im looking for a solution that will allow the server to wake when users attempt to connect to emby or ftp without requiring sending a wol packet first via another app, while sleeping otherwise.

I think I may be able to achieve this with a reverse proxy, but im not too sure :/

You'll need something in the middle to handle that, so yes possibly reverse proxy.

2 different needs [emoji4]

What about the possibility of Emby letting Windows sleep?

Sent from my Galaxy with Tapatalk

It does. I think there's an issue in the Android app causing this. It's something we'll look at for a future update to the app. Thanks.

Silvercloak

I too am having a problem with Emby keeping my computer awake.  I've gotten so frustrated as to turn off the Emby server when I'm not home.  It's really inconvenient but I'm fed up with seeing my computer being left on all day and night to no purpose.  I'm not sure what happened, a week or two ago it was just fine and going to sleep as it should.

I too am having a problem with Emby keeping my computer awake. I've gotten so frustrated as to turn off the Emby server when I'm not home. It's really inconvenient but I'm fed up with seeing my computer being left on all day and night to no purpose. I'm not sure what happened, a week or two ago it was just fine and going to sleep as it should.

Are you using Android app?

The hint in post #23 saved my day, btw - just had to give the full path to the executable. But no problem since then.

Silvercloak

My family members are using the android version - yes.  I didn't quite understand the post in #23.  I ran that command once.  Do I have to run that every time I start up emby?  I'll try it again tonight with a full path, maybe that'll make a difference.  But so far, it's still not sleeping unless it's forced manually.

No, just run it once - it is a Windows OS setting.

You can find it in the registry under:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerRequestOverride\Process]

• I opened a CMD with "Run as Administrator"
  • Ran POWERCFG -REQUESTS
    From the output I got the path to the executable, ie:
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    and used that:
  • POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE the_path_above Display System

It seemed not to work until a boot - but I'm not sure.

Also it seems to be machine dependent whether the full path is needed or not. 

• Like 1

Silvercloak

I ended up building a new computer (not because of this, I just got a windfall and after 9 years, it was about frigging time) and it looks like the sleep issue is no longer a problem...  I'll keep an eye on it, but I don't know if it's the new PC or an update Emby did... but it seems to be all good now.

Thanks for the tips though!!  I'm keeping my finger on it in case it pops up again.

Silvercloak

Silvercloak

So I attempted to do it the way you suggested with full file path.  This did not work for me.  After some searching around I did it this way...  Hopefully this is correct.  I had to add PROCESS into it before it finally accepted it instead of giving me "Invalid parameters" 

POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS "path"\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe DISPLAY SYSTEM

So I attempted to do it the way you suggested with full file path. This did not work for me. After some searching around I did it this way... Hopefully this is correct. I had to add PROCESS into it before it finally accepted it instead of giving me "Invalid parameters"

POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS "path"\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe DISPLAY SYSTEM

Sorry, my fault[emoji55]

Not sure how I managed to miss PROCESS in my cut'n'paste.

Glad you found out. And hope your problem is gone.

darkassassin07

The problem with that is you are solving the symptom, not the problem. By disabling that power request, your server can now go to sleep while in the middle of streaming to a client, the server machine no longer knows its active and sleeps.

The problem with that is you are solving the symptom, not the problem. By disabling that power request, your server can now go to sleep while in the middle of streaming to a client, the server machine no longer knows its active and sleeps.

Agreed, it is symptom fixing. But as long as we're waiting for the Android app fix a workaround is needed.

I have no external clients connected so I do not have the problem with the server sleeping in the middle of a film.

All playback is done by WMC which keeps the server awake.

PrincessClevage

I think emby just needs better handling for when it considers itself to be active (ie when it keeps the server awake). Becoming inactive if no user is currently streaming media, as well as briefly becoming active when users load pages.

If a user is connected, but sitting in the library browser for hours on end they obviously arent active. Those users should be disconnected with the message 'you have been logged out due to inactivity'

@@pju how are you waking your server with wol (if you are)? Do you use a separate app to send a magic packet, or have magic packets disabled?

Im struggling with this very problem, id like users to wake the server just by connecting, but magic packets disabled means random network traffic wake it :/

Most network cards support magic packets ( wol packet + nics MAC address) as opposed to just a wol packet broadcast so only the the Nic with the included mac gets woken ( supplied by arp table in your router)

I also thought that wol (hopefully magic packets) was being introduced into every emby client sometime ago which would send wol upon startup ? @@Luke

Edited by PrincessClevage