Jeee

Is it possible to get some clarification on the openess of the code and continuation?

First of all: I was not able to find some kind of trial for the premium version. I suppose it is possible to set up some kind of 2/3 day trial so one can test the DVR features etc over a weekend. I prefer that then to get one of the hacked versions.... (and I never paid for a trial).

I read quite some confusion on the openness of the code. Is it possible that Emby specifies which parts are open (and to which version) and which are closed? (in accordance with GITHUB's policies etc).

Personally I would love to have something open even if I pay for it initially to get into the community. Maybe you can make it 'community open source'.

I saw concerns about the restrains of the lifetime license; if it was community sourced that issue would disappear. Emby could also promise that once a new version comes available for where an upgrade of the license is required that the existing code will be available for the lifetime users. (this would of course limit the active involvement of the community during the normal lifetime).

In both situations you could specify that all code that was proposed by users can be used in the next version without the version being open (of course the code itself would be usable in the initial product where the code would be available for existing users). I think that would benefit both Emby as the user community.

One of Emby's advantages is that it is/was at least partly open and I think that there is quite a group of people that prefer to pay for/support that instead of a totally closed source variant.

The restriction of the number of devices can also be an issue for personal use. If you have a family of 5 and when each has a phone, tablet and pc you are already at the max and cannot have the general TV etc connected. Maybe an idea to make it unlimited for personal usage or at least extend the number of devices for personal usage?

Hi, welcome. We are doing our best to keep the software as open source as we possibly can. The issue that we're seeing is that as the software continues to improve, the number of people looking to profit from our hard work continues to grow, as well as the number of people looking to distribute unlocked versions. This isn't a hobby project for us, this is our jobs and careers, so we've been forced to adjust. We work hard on Emby almost seven days a week. The core server is still open source but the individual Emby apps are closed source.

• Like 7

Hmm unfortunately you did not respond to the different items and only responded with a general remark. How can you expect honest people to support you if information is not even supplied openly and correctly? I am even willing to pay more if the code is open for paying users and can be improved upon even after the company stops supporting it.

BAlGaInTl

Hmm unfortunately you did not respond to the different items and only responded with a general remark. How can you expect honest people to support you if information is not even supplied openly and correctly? I am even willing to pay more if the code is open for paying users and can be improved upon even after the company stops supporting it.

What additional information do  you want?

The Server is open (whether you pay or not).

The Apps are not.

They want to keep the server open, but some are making that difficult.

Luke did not cover the 2/3 day trial, but If you want to try out the DVR (premium feature), and are considering purchasing, why not get a 1 month membership and try it out?

As for the 15 device limit... they are working to make that more transparent.  There are options now to buy access for additional devices.  I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) it is unlimited usage for the web app.  It's only devices that use one of the closed source apps that are affected by the limit.  So in your example... if you had people use the web app on their PCs instead of Emby Theater, your family of 5 would only use 10 of the 15 instances.

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

@@Luke

Now I'm thinking.... and feel free to shoot me down...  :)

Would it make sense to allow restricted DVR support on a non-premium install?  That is, maybe limit the recording to 5 minutes or something so that people could at least test the scheduling/recording function? 

Or on second thought, would that just help out those that are already looking to release unlocked versions?

As far as the trial goes, it has always been our intention to have a trial for Emby Premiere, but the UI for that has never been fully fleshed out. It is something we need to look at. Thanks.

• Like 1