How to restore admin account in Dashboard?

thewallace

thewallace

I just did a fresh install of Win7 64 and added the newest Emby Server and Emby for WMC. I had a working version on the old PC.

Now when I open Emby server dashboard it looks like I'm only setup as a regular user. I can view and search for titles...but there is no admin button or way to configure the program. How to I change my account status to be an Admin?

CBers

If you find the correct user in Emby-Server\config\users, you can amend the policy.xml file.

Look for:

<IsAdministrator>false</IsAdministrator>
Change it to true.

You'll need to restart Emby server for it to take affect.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
GrimReaper

As of this morning, I've been un-admined from own server.

policy.xml for own User still lists Administrator=true.

Tried changing 

<IsAdministrator>

tag on another user from 'false' to 'true', same result, no admin sidebar in Settings. 

Restarted both server and server machine. Tried from several browsers, Theatre Store and Android client app. 

Out of ideas. 

Edit: And just like that, everything reverted to normal, literally with no other intervention as I was busy for an hour, upon re-login everything shows as usual. Hopefully it won't reoccur. 

Edited by GrimReaper
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
  • Like 2

GrimReaper

Well, this has happened again - and it's becoming worrisome. I don't wanna depend on it being "sorted by itself" nor, funny enough, do I want to be locked out of own server at no point

VERY open to suggestions. 

Screenshot 2021-10-02 163734.png

policy.xml

Most likely someone changed it. If you can find the server log from when it changed that would help narrow it down.

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, Luke said:

Most likely someone changed it. If you can find the server log from when it changed that would help narrow it down.

Noone changed it as noone has access to server folder but me, and I'm offline, on LAN only. And in policy.xml is Admin=true. Same as 2 days ago, when it just reverted at some point. And I'm the only admin. Or, I WAS the only admin, as currently I don't appear to be. 

Edit: policy.xml modified date is 09/30, the other day when this issue manifested for the first time and I was trying to get access back, as reported on Thursday. Since then, until an hour ago, all was normal. Now it ain't. Without any change anywhere. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Noone changed it as noone has access to server folder but me, and I'm offline, on LAN only. And in policy.xml is Admin=true. Same as 2 days ago, when it just reverted at some point. And I'm the only admin. Or, I WAS the only admin, as currently I don't appear to be. 

Edit: policy.xml modified date is 09/30, the other day when this issue manifested for the first time and I was trying to get access back, as reported on Thursday. Since then, until an hour ago, all was normal. Now it ain't. Without any change anywhere. 

By chance are you running out of free space, or maybe transcode folder filling up?  Will have to look but believe something like this happened with a free space issue.

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

By chance are you running out of free space, or maybe transcode folder filling up?  Will have to look but believe something like this happened with a free space issue.

I ain't running of space, but transcode-temp folder has 700,000+ files, explorer's having trouble even opening it, it's listing and listing. Once that is done, as it's not responsive atm, will try to delete those and see what gives. 

GrimReaper

And yes, once transcode-temp is finally emptied and server restarted - there's the admin sidebar. Thanks, @Happy2Play

Of course, two questions arise here:

1) Why were there slightly under million (yes, 1,000,000) files in that single folder 

and, more importantly, 

2) What possible connection could that have with removing admin privileges? 

I mean, really?

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Happy2Play
Just now, GrimReaper said:

And yes, once transcode-temp is finally emptied and server restarted - there's the admin sidebar. Thanks, @Happy2Play

Of course, two questions arise here:

1) Why were there slightly under million (yes, 1,000,000) files in transcode-temp folder 

and, more importantly, 

2) What possible connection could that have with removing admin privileges? 

I mean, really?

Well the other topics had issues do to free space killing admin account (primarily the transcode-temp folder).  So if you had plenty of space then I would not think your issue would be the same. 

Probably to late now but how old were the files in the temp folder.

But there are several topics showing there needs to be a server restart task to clear this folder or a task deleting content older then say 24hrs.  But I would guess you have a client that is leaving these rouge transcode sessions behind.

GrimReaper
25 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So if you had plenty of space then I would not think your issue would be the same. 

Nah, space wasn't an issue, I'm more keen on actual access giving trouble, with so much files in a single folder, it would likely break any OS. Edit: And it was likely the reason the other day it sorted by itself after some time passed - it simply needed time to read/access that folder, I suppose. 

Probably to late now but how old were the files in the temp folder.

Yep, too late, didn't even think to check that out, just wanted to get rid of them. 

But there are several topics showing there needs to be a server restart task to clear this folder or a task deleting content older then say 24hrs.

Yeah, I reckon that should be - or even automatic deletion of content older than UI-settable x days. Nevertheless, now that I know where the problem lies, I'll make a script and run it on schedule. 

But I would guess you have a client that is leaving these rouge transcode sessions behind.

If that would be visible on Dashboard - I don't. But if it would be hidden, only logged - then it might be. 

Anyway, thanks again, now I'm aware what to look for so I'm ok. Still, there really has to be other solution for this issue (and free-space related one), I'd rather sever not starting at all or giving some sort of pop-up, as this current one does not suffice. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

Right now these are just general answers of things that might cause this, which may or may not be your issue. If we can go over more specifics based on the information requested earlier, then we'll be able to dive deeper. Thanks.

GrimReaper
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Right now these are just general answers of things that might cause this, which may or may not be your issue. If we can go over more specifics based on the information requested earlier, then we'll be able to dive deeper. Thanks.

If you're referring to tracing the change - that wouldn't be possible as nothing was changed at any point. However, here's log from when admin sideboard wasn't showing, i.e. last server run before transcode-temp emptied and reverted to normal. Throwing large number of exceptions, even "the server is still loading" after hour and a half. 

Edit: To note, server didn't want to shutdown either through the Dashboard or tray, process was still running as CPU and Disk usage was elevated, so I just killed it at that point, log-end. 

embyserver-63768798419.txt

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

Happy2Play

@LukeI don't know what then magic number is but I script added 1 million empty strm files into the transcode-temp folder and Admin was lost during the process.  Or should say Dashboard was available but without options as shown above.

I terminated the script and it created 300,000+ files and had limited dashboard.  Explorer crashed multiple times trying to view and delete the files.  End up just nuking the folder.

So there is definitely a issue with mass files and Dashboard at least on Windows in the transcode-temp folder.

My test was on 4.7.0.13.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Happy2Play
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

Were you out of free space?

Nope as these were zero bit files, but had 100Gb of free space. 

GrimReaper

Just to follow-up on this, been running scheduled task with ForFiles command for few days, emptying transcode-temp folder, no re-occurences, server's purring like a kitten.