Questions about Kodi with emby

Spector80

Spector80

Hi,

I have used Kodi(with MySQL) for many years but are not to happy about how it handles data so now Im checking out Plex and emby.

The Emby Theater is far to simple for my use(more or less same as Plex Windows 10 app) so Im trying to setup kodi with the emby addon. So far I have manage to install and setup the repository and the addon but have some problems and some questions :

1. I can see movies and series but it does not sync watched data at all? I have tried to resync without any luck.

2. How does Trakt, emby and kodi work together? I have installed Trakt on the emby server, do I need to install it in Kodi as well? And how about the feature in Kodi that lets me set grade right after a movie/episode?

3. How is the meta data stored in emby, If I need to reinstall, what will I have to backup and restore?

4. I have to setup the direct URL to the movie shares in emby server for kodi addon to work but it still seems like the default setting is to stream over http and not SMB?

Angelblue05

1. Is your content marked as watched in Emby? Let me know

2. You only need it on the server.

3. It's store in the emby database on your server. If you want to create a "backup", you'll have to enable the settings for your libraries in your server dashboard > library > select a library > manage folders > Make sure save metadata and artwork to folder is ticked. Repeat for other libraries.

4. In the emby for kodi add-on settings > video playback > make sure play from http is not enabled.

Spector80

Thanks!

1. Yes, when visiting the web player it is set as watched just as in trakt.

2. ok, good to know, will only the server communicate with trak

3. Okay, so if i set this, then I do not need to backup anything

4. Okay, so why not http

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Sorry, I had to step away for a moment

1. Which Kodi version are you running? It should import your watch status to Kodi if they are set in Emby. I'd suggest you backup your kodi userdata folder. Then, launch the emby addon, reset local database. That will wipe your kodi database clean, and import your Emby content.

2. Yes

3. No, you won't have to. The server will automatically create nfos and save your artwork within your media folders. In the event you need to reinstall Emby, it will just take what's already there.

4. Up to you, HTTP is the only way we can guarantee playback working out of the box for everyone, even people that do not setup network paths for their libraries. It will simply direct play over an HTTP stream provided by your server, without any modification to your content. It is the next best thing after direct playing directly from the source.

Edited by Angelblue05

Spector80

Dont be sorry, im impressed with the response I have got here so far compare to other.

I am running Kodi in portable mode to not effect the current main setup. I hope this is not a problem. I will try to reset, maybe even reinstall kodi and try again.

So you say that all metadata is stored with the media? Even watched markers? But If I want to keep settings in the emby server when reinstalling the server, what do I need to keep?

Angelblue05

Portable is not an issue.

It will not back up the watched markers, I believe. It's best to use trakt. So from Kodi, you back up your watched status to trakt. Then in Emby, once your libraries are created, you setup trakt and import your watched status. Then, anytime you watch something on any device connected to emby, it will automatically sync to your trakt.

Spector80

But If I dont want to use trakt to store information about my library, how will it be kept in Emby? How do I backup it up when reinstalling?

Do the company of emby collect any data about my personal library?

Spector80

Thanks!

I now see that Emby is not updated with watched state from Trakt? I have executed both Import playstates from Trakt.tv and Sync library to trakt.tv. But the Emby web interface still shows nothing watched? I can see in Trakt that it is set to watched.

Can´t see that tere is any errors now when trakt is online again.

Angelblue05

Is your content properly identified? Trakt assigns the watched status based on the item tvdb id or imdb id (or themoviedb id).

You can check by opening the 3dots menu on something you know should be watched in the webclient > edit info. See if there's any id assigned.

Edited by Angelblue05