Update AppleTV design/layout

centrius

From my understanding you set the library order on the server itself. Whatever is set will be displayed correctly on the Apple TV. 

This is correct.

mellomade

From my understanding you set the library order on the server itself. Whatever is set will be displayed correctly on the Apple TV. 

While it is correct that you can set the library order that appears as 'My Media' - the ATV app does not respect your web view settings such as which sections appear and their order.

While it is correct that you can set the library order that appears as 'My Media' - the ATV app does not respect your web view settings such as which sections appear and their order.

I was referring to the two items I specifically quoted - library order and what appears in latest.

grossertiger

overall i like the ui of the apple tv app very much - good work!

one suggestion from the awsome front

the infuse app has the second "row" (on the movie page) also with the "same" background image (a little bit more blured) - i think you must split the original background image, one part for the first row - and the second part for the second row. this gives the impression of one big background image on the movie page which looks gorgeous :-)

the infuse app has the second "row" (on the movie page) also with the "same" background image (a little bit more blured) - i think you must split the original background image, one part for the first row - and the second part for the second row. this gives the impression of one big background image on the movie page which looks gorgeous :-)

Do you have a picture, because I cannot visualize what you are saying :).

How is it different from this?

57016caa49efb_SeriesDetail.png

AdrianW

Re: EBR's screenshot above - is there a way to NOT hide the later episode thumbnails? i.e. show the actual episode thumbs instead of the series thumbnail.

Re: EBR's screenshot above - is there a way to NOT hide the later episode thumbnails? i.e. show the actual episode thumbs instead of the series thumbnail.

Not at this time.  That is a spoiler-prevention feature that could potentially be optional  in the future.

See the attachment :-)

Honestly, I like our display better.  They had to blur out the whole thing to make the text readable and our display (which is actually the standard for the device) has better delineation of the related content.

59e8d10d7f134_DetailIronMan.png

@@corey are there new settings in the detail template or is the other app just not tvml?

I took a quick look at the docs and don't see any way to do this in TVML.

AdrianW

Not at this time.  That is a spoiler-prevention feature that could potentially be optional  in the future.

It's pretty annoying actually. If it has to stay then it needs to be optional. If I go to the season vertical view I can still see all the thumbnails though - so that's a work around. But, IMO, the screenshot above looks terrible with just the same series thumbnail repeated over and over. I think I've seen the same thing in another ATV app.

It's pretty annoying actually. If it has to stay then it needs to be optional. If I go to the season vertical view I can still see all the thumbnails though - so that's a work around. But, IMO, the screenshot above looks terrible with just the same series thumbnail repeated over and over. I think I've seen the same thing in another ATV app.

I have to agree that its not a good thing to have the same thumbnail on all episodes. From a usability point of view humans rely on visual cues to make quick choices. It is fast to identify you've already watched an episode by looking at a unique thumbnail you've seen before than having to read every single episode title.

I have to agree that its not a good thing to have the same thumbnail on all episodes. From a usability point of view humans rely on visual cues to make quick choices. It is fast to identify you've already watched an episode by looking at a unique thumbnail you've seen before than having to read every single episode title.

This display is only for subsequent episodes shown  on a given episode's detail screen.  So it isn't like this is where you would normally be looking for a particular episode...

Still, we hope to get this feature moved to a server-side option.

• 4 weeks later...
ginsengbomb

I have a feeling it's some function of TvOS design language but is there any way to look at a more "traditional" Live TV guide in a future client release? The Channels app does a decent job of this. The Web version of Emby's live TV guide is perfect. 

raven-au

This display is only for subsequent episodes shown  on a given episode's detail screen.  So it isn't like this is where you would normally be looking for a particular episode...

Still, we hope to get this feature moved to a server-side option.

Yeah, but it is the place I find myself very often.

Fact is I thought this was a bug and that's what brought me to this thread.

Personally, I don't see it as a useful feature, I'd much rather have episode thumbs there.

Ian