Update AppleTV design/layout

centrius

centrius

Hi. We are testing Emby now for our stuff. Seems to be solid and works well. But I just wanted to ask about some layout decisions:

- the header banner is taking a whole lot of space. Any way to get rid of it?

- icons generally on the page are not very pretty to look at. Any way to fix this?

- Is There a way to make a theme for Emby that will work on Apple TV or are we stuck with the basic stuff?

I’m basing much of my questions on how Plex has it (so not function wise), its way more clean, more eye candy. Made the move to Emby from plex.

Hi, we have some improvements in the beta version of the app. Can you offer more specific suggestions of what you'd like to see? Thanks !

centrius

Hi Luke!

Well, its rather what not to see :) Here is a img from how the Plex design looks. Its pretty much the same as Emby but cleaner, and i think cleaner should be the guiding star here.

But the basic stuff to fix are as follows:

• Remove header img
  • Use icons instead of images on link boxes and find a color range for these that will suits Emby, and look over the sizes of these.

These two fixes will go a long way. Im working as a digital/ux designer so if you want me to sketch something up, hit me up in a PM.

599aea3ebf0c0_ScreenShot20151102at71115P

• Like 1

mellomade

I have to concur with @@centrius here - the main landing page should really just look like the front page of the web interface.  The graphic that is currently there doesn't really fit with the Emby theme you all have worked so hard to craft (and craft well!).

The beta of the TV app actually already has that in that same place.

He just wants the large banner removed from the home screen (and I guess an option for small, text-based buttons for the library).

• Like 1

mellomade

He just wants the large banner removed from the home screen (and I guess an option for small, text-based buttons for the library).

I know...broken record on this right?   :)

centrius

So basically you want this? This is Emby Theater with the Apple TV theme enabled.

599b45de3207f_Untitled.png

Yes Luce, pretty much. It might be boring in your eyes but I think most ppl will like it. I like it :)

Yes Luce, pretty much. It might be boring in your eyes but I think most ppl will like it. I like it :)

This presentation already exists in the beta version of the app.  If you would like to participate in the beta, please PM me your Apple ID.  Thanks.

• Like 3

mellomade

This presentation already exists in the beta version of the app.  If you would like to participate in the beta, please PM me your Apple ID.  Thanks.

Really?  I am running v1.1.xx (sorry the text is so small on my 720p screen I cannot read it) and I see same design as the public app.  I restarted the app and the ATV just to be sure it was pulling the latest rev.

akafester

Any ETA on when this is ready? 

Really looking forward for some proper competition for Plex. 

The Emby server is rock solid it's just the apps that's lacking here and there. Been waiting for a better AppleTV experience so really looking forward for the update :)

Been waiting for a better AppleTV experience so really looking forward for the update :)

Better how?

• 3 weeks later...
Allan Cameron

I agree about the film strip header, takes up a lot of room before you see any content.

I also think the posters are to small. Would like to see less posters per row and smaller space between them to allow poster size increase.

Looking forward to a new look. I would also love to test the apple tv beta app if possible?

Edited by Allan Cameron

I agree about the film strip header, takes up a lot of room before you see any content.

I also think the posters are to small. Would like to see less posters per row and smaller space between them to allow poster size increase.

Looking forward to a new look. I would also love to test the apple tv beta app if possible?

Changing the poster size / making it a setting is a great idea! We'll keep it in mind for a future update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
bryananderson

While I know the impossible feeling of trying to make everyone happy with a UI, I do think there is some room for improvement.  My main issue is the lack of customization on the Home screen.  Basically you can pick the theme and 1 other option (forget at the moment) and that's it.  Whereas in the Web UI, you can customize the which sections appear, the order they appear in, the library order, which libraries are part of the "latest media" section.  Also, I would be interested in a beta version if it won't be going public soon.  I have an active Apple Dev ID can can side-load an app if needed.

Thanks so much for all your hard work!!

...  the library order, which libraries are part of the "latest media" section.

These settings are respected in the Apple TV app as well.

bryananderson

These settings are respected in the Apple TV app as well.

The Library order, or all of it?  Just want to make sure I'm understanding right.

Thx

The Library order, or all of it?  Just want to make sure I'm understanding right.

Thx

From my understanding you set the library order on the server itself. Whatever is set will be displayed correctly on the Apple TV.