Emby App - Data Rate

dboyer

How is the Emby Roku app determine how much data should be streaming when the bit rate is set to auto.

We notice that when set to auto, the pictures and lower quality.  Pretty grainy...

I have manually set the bitrate to 2 MB and the picture looks much better.

When we are set to auto, the streaming bitrate that we are receiving looks to be considerably less than 2 MB. 

Is there anyway in the Emby app to determine what the minimum bit rate actually is?

Outside

Server connected to fiber with 25 MB Upload / 25 MB Download Capabilities

Roku connected to fiber with 50 MB Upload /50 MB Download Capabilities

Ok so on Auto outside of network it will perform a series of tests to try and determine the ideal bitrate. For most this will produce a good value, but it's not guaranteed. If it's not producing a good result for you the you may just want to configure the in-app bitrate setting.

Nisten

@@dboyer do you have an out of network bitrate limit set?

Based on me testing it (in-network), Auto caps out near the bitrate of the bitrate of the video profile/codec of the media being streamed (probably works in tandem with the bitrate of the audio profile/codec)

For example. I streamed a dvd (in mkv container) with video profile/codec bitrate of 8.2 mbps (when I checked the dashboard, it capped at 8.6 mbps because it didn't need to request a higher bitrate)

For my blu-ray files with crazy bitrates (40-60 mbps for just the video profile/codec), it was best to set a maximum bitrate and let transcoding do the rest. 

Luke, in the earlier Emby app and in the Blue Neon Night app, we normally have the bitrate set for 3 MB. 

Even though we can stream from our "out of network" server at several MB/S faster, we find that the viewing quality for the transcoded video is very good at the 3 MB/S rate.

Don't know your process of selecting the download bit rate using the Auto selection - but I would suspect that the bit rate that it is automatically selecting is around 1 MB.