Problem with DVD copies

Lonald

Hi all,

Emby Theater stopped playing DVD copies on Windows 10, Apple TV and X Box One S.  On Windows 10 it hangs on the splash screen with a spinning circle and the other two give an error message.  This is a new problem for my system, but I can't say it is related to the most recent server upgrade.

Logfile attached.

Thanks!

Lon

server-63638784000.txt

Both give the same:  a black & white screen the the name of the movie and a spinning circle lasting 30-60 seconds followed by a screen that states "An error occurred loading this content".

Thanks!

Lon

Keep in mind that for Apple TV and Xbox One, dvd folder rip playback is only experimental. The reason for this is because transcoding is required, and our transcoding of folder rips is only experimental due to ffmpeg not having native support.

Emby Theater desktop edition however does have native support. Which edition are you using on Windows 10? The store app or the desktop downloaded app?

Thanks for the feedback!

I am now not getting Blu-Rays to load on the AppleTV and the XBox One S either, so this is more than just the DVD issue.  I loaded ET from the desktop download site onto my laptop and both DVD and BD movies do not load.  The only working ET is the one on the desktop that houses the Emby Server, and it is just playing BD movies - I cannot recall if the original download was the store app or the desktop download, but I think is was the latter.

Current log is attached.

Thanks!

Lon

server-63638834759.txt

Blurays same thing. Any kind of folder rip is only experimental if transcoding is required.

I can see you are running the desktop app and Emby Theater is transcoding when it should be direct playing. I would verify that it can access the path directly:

\\DISKSTATION\DVD Movies\Run

When it does not have access to this path for direct play, that's when it has to transcode through the server, and that is only expiremental.

I am only partly understanding the reply, I apologize for that.

In looking through the settings, I don't see a direct playing option.  What would it require for me to activate direct play?  Previously I used an external player, but that option doesn't seem available.

What's interesting is that Emby was working fine for all movies a week ago or so.

Increasingly confused...

Lon

There's no option because it's automatic. What happens is the app does a check to see if it can access that folder directly. If yes, then it direct plays. If no then it transcodes through the server, and that's the part that is experimental.

The net of that is you need to be sure that path above is accessible from the machine running Emby Theater.

I have resolved the transcoding error for the next release although for Emby Theater I would strongly suggest not relying on that and instead getting direct play working.

As far as I can tell, the path is accessible to any application on the machine.  Similar to the Blu-ray folder, which is working.  I deleted and added the movie folders to the server as well.

The folders are set up in the server library as network locations (\\Diskstation\Blu-Ray Movies  and   \\Diskstation\DVD Movies).  I also have them set up as mapped network drives on the PC.

Is there a location in the settings for Emby Theater where the path(s) are to be delineated?  I will try an experiment by adding a folder on the PC to the library and place a DVD movie in it to see if it will play.  Will send a log on this.

Thanks again!

Lon

What do you mean by 

where the path(s) are to be delineated

All the app does is use a windows command to check if the directory exists or not. The result of that will determine direct play vs. transcoding. It's possible that it exists but the other machine doesn't have access to it, which could cause that as well.

Hmmmm....

In a desperate move, I uninstalled Emby Theater so as to install a clean copy, only to receive an error message.  The log is below.  I am sinking deeper...

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
 Windows    : 10.0.15063.0 (Win32NT)
 Common Language Runtime  : 4.0.30319.42000
 System.Deployment.dll   : 4.7.2046.0 built by: NET47REL1
 clr.dll    : 4.7.2102.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
 dfdll.dll    : 4.7.2046.0 built by: NET47REL1
 dfshim.dll    : 10.0.15063.0 (WinBuild.160101.0800)
IDENTITIES
 Deployment Identity  : Emby.Theater.Installer.application, Version=3.0.1.36, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0526f36dafbe11ea, processorArchitecture=msil
 Application Identity  : Emby.Theater.Installer.exe, Version=3.0.1.36, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0526f36dafbe11ea, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32
APPLICATION SUMMARY
 * Online only application.
ERROR SUMMARY
 Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
 * Activation of http://embydata.com/downloads/theater/release4/Emby.Theater.Installer.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
  + Value does not fall within the expected range.
COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
 No transaction error was detected.
WARNINGS
 There were no warnings during this operation.
OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
 * [8/21/2017 7:34:20 PM] : Activation of http://embydata.com/downloads/theater/release4/Emby.Theater.Installer.application has started.
 * [8/21/2017 7:34:20 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
 * [8/21/2017 7:34:20 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
 * [8/21/2017 7:34:20 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
 * [8/21/2017 7:34:21 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 4.0.30319.
 * [8/21/2017 7:34:21 PM] : Request of trust and detection of platform is complete.
ERROR DETAILS
 Following errors were detected during this operation.
 * [8/21/2017 7:34:21 PM] System.ArgumentException
  - Value does not fall within the expected range.
  - Source: System.Deployment
  - Stack trace:
   at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IStore.LockApplicationPath(UInt32 Flags, IDefinitionAppId ApId, IntPtr& Cookie)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ComponentStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
   at System.Deployment.Application.SubscriptionStore.LockApplicationPath(DefinitionAppId definitionAppId)
   at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.PatchFiles(SubscriptionState subState)
   at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState, X509Certificate2 clientCertificate)
   at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadDependencies(SubscriptionState subState, AssemblyManifest deployManifest, AssemblyManifest appManifest, Uri sourceUriBase, String targetDirectory, String group, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl, Uri& deploymentUri)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivationWithRetry(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
 No transaction information is available.

Try following this procedure to clear your ClickOnce cache.

1.       Go to start windows à Run menu.
  2.       Run the following command rundll32 dfshim CleanOnlineAppCache

The fact that you did all of this tells me you didn't trust my advice in post #13. It's OK, I won't take it personally :)

Actually, I tried reloading the application after looking at the access to the folders in File Explorer one more time on both the PC with the server and the laptop.   :)  The Emby Theater app is reinstalled, thanks!

Here is a recap:

1.  Two weeks ago Emby theater across multiple devices (Desktop (Win 10), MinixPC (Win 10), Xbox, iPad, Android phone, and AppleTV) was working for DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.

2.  This weekend, all of the devices stopped loading DVD movies.

3.  The Win10 based installations still play Blu-Ray movies.  All of the others no longer play either type.

4.  All of the Win 10 devices have access to the Synology folders both as mapped drives and under Network (checked in File Explorer)

4.  The movies are stored on a Synology NAS, one folder for DVDs and another for Blu-Rays.  Both are in the same Volume.

5.  The server is on a Desktop with the movie folders as mapped network drives.

6.  I tried using both the network address and the mapped drive address as locations for the libraries with the same result:  Blu-ray=yes play, DVD=no play.

7.  A Leawo player can play both the Blu-Ray and the DVD movies on the Win 10 applications.

Over the past two weeks both Win 10 and Emby installed updates.  Synology updated DSM a couple of times in July.  I am just now doing the latest update today for DSM.

There is a change to how the Win 10 installations handles DVDs, possibly related to either the Win 10 updates or the Emby updates.  There is also a change in how the non-Win 10 devices handle all movie types, probably related to access to the Diskstation folders - I am unsure how to direct those to access the folders.

I am focused on the Win 10 systems, as the advice is make sure the systems have direct access to the Diskstation folders and I think that those do have the access - unless there ae additional settings that I should be adjusting.

Thanks!

Lon

One additional test - looking at whether the NAS access was the issue.

I placed a DVD movie on a drive in the desktop that houses the Emby Server and added the folder as a movie library.  Still did not play/load from Emby Theater installed on the same desktop.  

Thanks,

Lon

Right and I already said this in post #11:

I have resolved the transcoding error for the next release although...

• 4 months later...
Mopar_Mudder

You are not alone, I can not play DVD Folder rips either, but Windows Media Player will play them just fine. I went as far as thinking it was my HTPC so I built a new one this weekend so everythiing is fresh and new. I also went from Windows 7 to 10 in the process. Still can not play a DVD file, just get an endless spinning circle and can't close the window. This is the Theater downloaded desk top app tha is on the same machine server is running on. I can access the files fine from file explorer, they are stored on an UnRaid server. So permission should be no problem and it should not be transcoding aything.

Guest asrequested

You are not alone, I can not play DVD Folder rips either, but Windows Media Player will play them just fine. I went as far as thinking it was my HTPC so I built a new one this weekend so everythiing is fresh and new. I also went from Windows 7 to 10 in the process. Still can not play a DVD file, just get an endless spinning circle and can't close the window. This is the Theater downloaded desk top app tha is on the same machine server is running on. I can access the files fine from file explorer, they are stored on an UnRaid server. So permission should be no problem and it should not be transcoding aything.

I can play a DVD rip with no issues. Couple of questions. Are you using the shared network folder? And what is your folder structure? 

Mopar_Mudder

I can play a DVD rip with no issues. Couple of questions. Are you using the shared network folder? And what is your folder structure? 

5a52cf6f281da_FolderStructure.jpg

i wonder if mpv gets confused by the contents due to the backups and trailers folders, and then as a result doesn't know how to play it.

Guest asrequested

i wonder if mpv gets confused by the contents due to the backups and trailers folders, and then as a result doesn't know how to play it.

By default it tries to detect and play the longest file in the folder tree.

@@Mopar_Mudder

Can you temporarily remove the trailers folder, scan the library, and try playing?

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I just tried creating a trailers folder and put a music video in it. When trying to play, it played the music video, first, but no audio. Looking at the audio track selection, it still was presenting the options for the movie. At the of the music video, the movie played, but still no audio. Stats show no audio output.