Plex Privacy Issues and The Plan at Emby

Frank Logan

Frank Logan

Considering the recent news from Plex, and their plan to make opting out of data collection not possible, what are the plans at Emby? If I plan to switch and give you a try, will I run into the same issue 6 months down the road?

Edited by Frank Logan

We cannot tell the future but we do allow you to opt out of our statistics collection.

It is also worth noting that our statistics are very different from theirs.  All we are doing is trying to see how many people are using which apps so that we can properly gauge their respective audiences and apply our resources accordingly.

The other guys collect a bunch of stuff about the media you are playing (not actually which media but metadata about it like its format, bitrate, etc.).  We have never tracked or collected that and have no plans to.

orion44

Similar to Frank, I will be making the switch Emby soon.  Thank you for explaining which statistics you do and don't collect.

BAlGaInTl

I was wondering if a topic would start about this.

Seems that Plex, issued some more explanation after the outrage, and it makes things a bit more clear.

I understand why users are putt off by the changes, but also understand the position at Plex and wanting to integrate more 3rd party services.

It will be curious to see what kind of increase in Emby usage this drives.  I'd be interested for purely academic reasons.

The nice thing about Emby, at least the server, is that the open source roots would allow the project to be forked if there were ever a severe issue.  I'm not sure that applies to all of the apps, but at least it's something.  I don't think you can say the same of Plex.