cannot use clients without updated server

Guest tjazhu@gmail.com

Guest tjazhu@gmail.com

Hello,

I have new NAS Asustor 3102T and I installed Emby. I like it more than Plex, but I cannot run mobile/TV apps (android, windows) unless the server is updated.

Or is there any trick to use clients without latest server version?

Problem with server update is, that Emby is 3rd party app for Asustor Co., so they do not maintain it.

And maintainer (William Lin) does not reply to emails with update request.

Thanks for help,

Tom

geoff511

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the headache all us Asustor Emby users have.

If the clowns that write the updates for the Asustor version of Emby realised they don't have to 're-invent the wheel' but just write a simple batch command to  - stop Emby - copy the Emby.Mono.zip version over the installed files - then restart the Emby Server and update the version number on the dat. file, we would ALL HAVE THE LATEST VERSION running as soon as it is released, but that seems far too logical and easy.

So ... the only thing you can do is to follow these instructions - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46629-how-to-update-to-the-latest-version-on-an-asustor/

.. to get to the latest Emby.Mono version goto - https://github.com/M...releases/latest

NB - make a b/up copy of the section on your NAS BEFORE you copy the mono.linux files over it, just in case.  Cause you can just copy them back and all will be fine if it doesn't work. And don't be in to much of a hurry to restart Emby, wait a couple of minutes first.

If you are using Kodi as your front end (like I do), stop it first before shutting down Emby. And check the Emby-Kodi and Kodi-Emby Plugins if there are updates requ. or any other Emby Plugins' updates soon after the restart, because you need to manually shut Emby down fully and restart for the Plugin Updates to work.

Whenever I d/load a new version, I keep a copy of the previous just in case the new one doesn't take, I can just copy the previous version back over it.

It's not hard but please read the warning I wrote on the updating instruction page first.

Have fun,

Geoff

Edited by geoff511

Thanks guys, we are looking into our own official Asustor package, so hopefully this will all be over with soon.

geoff511

Hi @@Luke,

It would be good if is was ... but thing is - How Will We Tell  :unsure:

All of us who now update manually, don't look at the 'official' Asustor releases because we don't (well can't) use them any more.

Especially since Emby is up to 3.2.28 and Asustor App. Central says it's latest, a few days ago, is 3.2.25. :wacko:

(and we all know the mess the Asustor official updates creates by wiping the library, then tries to reconstruct it again for the next 27 odd hours).

So unless it is in Gold Leaf Embossed Writing with a Certified Letter stating YOU will cover all my medical bills from the Asylum after trying an 'Official Asustor release from App. Central' which is suppose to be a safe release only to find it wipes it all again - I'll just keep doing it manually.   :D 

That said, it will be good if the mess was rectified and we could update Emby like ALL other apps in App Central., it would make it much more user-friendly for the average user. 

Thanks for all your hard work. ;) 

Geoff.

What we will be doing is putting the packages up for download on our website, and then we will also submit them to Asustor in hopes of getting them added to the store more quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(Sept 24th 2017) -  CARE - the version Emby themselves just released will wipe all your metadata and NFO files when you install it .. just like an App. Central update.

Please refer to https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-398-emby-server-new-and-improved-for-asustor-nas/  and my comments 1st.

Should a 'good' Asustor version ever be released I will let you know.