Web Sockets and Reverse Proxy

runtimesandbox

runtimesandbox

Hi @@Angelblue05

I've just seen in the release notes for the latest stable plugin:

• Update the websocket url for reverse proxy. wss://{server}/embywebsocket?api..

What does this entail? Will a config change be needed in the reverse proxy for this?

Cheers!

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Probably. If I remember correctly, the issue was that the url for the websocket didn't have anything after the server address which caused some issue when trying to setup a reverse proxy, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tur0k

I don't know about NGINX or squid reverse proxy setups but in HAPROXY configured as a reverse proxy you can create a new ACL based on a URI match for "/embywebsocket" as the match. Alternatively you could have it automatically detect websocket access. Once the traffic is identified you could send it to whichever back end server you need.

Edited by Tur0k
  • Like 1

pir8radio

Hi @@Angelblue05

I've just seen in the release notes for the latest stable plugin:

• Update the websocket url for reverse proxy. wss://{server}/embywebsocket?api..

What does this entail? Will a config change be needed in the reverse proxy for this?

Cheers!

Nope, not if its already working. 

Probably. If I remember correctly, the issue was that the url for the websocket didn't have anything after the server address which caused some issue when trying to setup a reverse proxy, right?

I believe this change was related to this post: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49139-not-auto-syncing-cloud-emby-home-kodi/?p=469256

Which a user was having websocket issues due to the proxy configuration.   We later found that the webgui requests websockets using /embywebsockets?  It was changed to match the standard.   

The original poster was using a sub directory in his reverse proxy setup  domain.com/emby    with his particular setup, it was breaking the websockets for kodi because the websocket requests from kodi were going to domain.com?api_key=xxxxxxxx&deviceid=xxxxxx  when the reverse proxy was expecting to see domain.com/emby/something     the only way to fix is if kodi was making requests with a subdirectory, so domain.com/embywebsockets?api_key=blahblah was added...  Now the users that use sub directories that don't strip them prior to send them to the backend can now add another location  /embywebsocket  or /emby(wildcard)  to direct that traffic to the backend.      If you use a subdomain like emby.domain.com this change wont mean anything to you.    If that made sense.....  :)

@@KarmaPolice

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 2