Set Server to ONLY manual update, but installed latest version nevertheless

One2Go

One2Go

I unticked in the server settings the box to automatically update. The server was not used fort one month, started up the HTPC and version 3.2.24.0 loaded. Updated the Anti Virus software which required a restart. Now server version 3.2.27.0 loaded. I like to leave my present running version a bit longer until no further complications have been reported. How can I change the settings that this will not happen again.

I thought I did everything correct so as to control the updates, what is needed in addition.

O2G

Edited by One2Go

Under advanced just uncheck the box for automatic updates. Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

bfir3

I unticked in the server settings the box to automatically update. 

I thought I did everything correct so as to control the updates, what is needed in addition.

Based on Luke's post, it sounds like you've done everything correctly but are experiencing unexpected results.

390x99xdsa

This is a long standing issue.  Every time I install a new version of Emby I have to go and uncheck automatic updates. Seems like the updater/installer resets that to automatically update.  Considering all the hate that Roku is getting for their auto-update policy, perhaps it's time to rethink that policy where the updater/installer resets the autoupdate setting to true.

This is a long standing issue.  Every time I install a new version of Emby I have to go and uncheck automatic updates. Seems like the updater/installer resets that to automatically update.  Considering all the hate that Roku is getting for their auto-update policy, perhaps it's time to rethink that policy where the updater/installer resets the autoupdate setting to true.

It only occurs if you click the update now button in the server dashboard. It doesn't happen on it's own.

Happy2Play

Basically if you want to manually update you can never use any of the update options built into Emby as they activate auto updating.

So you manually update from zip file.

One2Go

What I was aiming at was to disable the automatic update feature and then when a new version is available and after reading the release notes as well as the forum on the new version to then use in the server dashboard the update function.

From the comments here as well as my own personal experience since my first version of EMBY it has always updated after a few computer restarts even though the automatic update was unticked. Since I am using the EMC client and there is not much development for it and the server works just fine, my fears are that with a server update and its associated plugins something will get broke.

Totally agree that when the box for automatic update is unticked respect that setting until the user decides otherwise.

That's what it does. It fully respects the setting in terms of automated updates. However, there is an open issue, if you click the Update Now button then it will change your setting back. The workaround is to just update manually from the website by running the installer.

mellomade

if you click the Update Now button then it will change your setting back.

I think this is the problem.  The button you get in the dashboard when there is a new version says 'Update Now' - not 'Turn on Automatic Updates and Update Now'.

I would expect any updates that are run to respect my user settings and not change them.

Correct it is just a defect because the update now button kicks off the scheduled task and the scheduled task needs the config setting in order to execute. Until it is resolved the workaround is to update using the installer from the website.