Status on official LG app

jhs

Subtitles are really small on my TV since last update. And there are missing settings to change their size, font etc. I can see only preferred language, mode and burn in settings under the subtitles settings menu.

We'll get these settings added, thanks.

anonymous22334455

luke, subtitle rendering bug still exist. i watch aquaman 4k hdr with bitrate over 20mb/s, no subtitle shown at all doesn’t matter if its srt, ass, vob, or pgs. please fix it.

i really dont know why emby had this problem when another player like kodi, infuse (ios), iina (macos), doesn’t have this problem whatsoever. its weird. might be something wrong with how emby handle subtitle.

Edited by anonymous22334455

SamES

luke, subtitle rendering bug still exist. i watch aquaman 4k hdr with bitrate over 20mb/s, no subtitle shown at all doesn’t matter if its srt, ass, vob, or pgs. please fix it.

i really dont know why emby had this problem when another player like kodi, infuse (ios), iina (macos), doesn’t have this problem whatsoever. its weird. might be something wrong with how emby handle subtitle.

I'm a bit confused.  On the other thread you posted this last week.

New Update solve this problem!!! Thank you Luke!!! no more rendering problem with srt subtitle, even with high bitrate 4k hdr the subtiltle show up right away.

So has the problem come back, or is it just Aquaman that now has the problem.  Are other titles OK?

anonymous22334455

I'm a bit confused.  On the other thread you posted this last week.

So has the problem come back, or is it just Aquaman that now has the problem.  Are other titles OK?

Yea, i thought the new update fix it too. Not just Aquaman, i watch interstellar and Wonder Woman too and they both have the same problem Maybe its got something to do with higher bitrate. When i try with Spiderverse 4k hdr, the same format (4k hdr x265 10bit) with Aquaman but just lower bitrate (around 14mb/s). the subtitle is working. So the higher bitrate causing this rendering problem, For 1080p movies i got no problem at all, because the bitrate for my 1080p movies usually around 3-5mb/s.

The weird thing is, i watch it with kodi or any other player over wifi or ethernet and i got no problem with subtitle rendering. Because subtitle that i use as default always srt, which is very light unlike pgs or vob. so problem like this should not happen in the first place. this is why i think, there's might be something wrong with the way emby handle subtitle.

rbjtech

I don't appear to have any issues - LG C8-65

Added a fake .SRT on The Matrix - 40 Mbit HDR x265 - subs display just fine on the HDR image - no transcoding as expected as it's an external SRT

Also tried on The Martian - 48 Mbit Non-HDR x265 - again, SRT subs show perfectly fine with no transcoding.

Note - other substreams were stripped out - I just use external SRT's now.  Not sure if that is the same setup as yours ?

One other thing to note - On this TV (not sure if it applies to all LG's), if you planned to use Ethernet (hard wired..) you need to DISABLE Wifi on the TV - it does not (as you think it would) default to the wired connection.  I fell into this trap as streaming @ 60/70+ Mbit was a bit unreliable and I couldn't figure out why - but then released despite me having a wired connection - the TV was streaming using the wireless connection ..  :wacko:   Disabling wi-fi  fixed the issue. (I had it on there as a back-up connection only, so no big deal).  So maybe worth disabling wi-fi - to see if it makes any difference ?

Edited by rbjtech

mabbas007

Since the latest update subtitles shows for a breif second then it disappears.

All my subtitles are loaded from an external srt file.

This was never an issue before.

Also any option to edit the subtitle font and style is removed

Since the latest update subtitles shows for a breif second then it disappears.

All my subtitles are loaded from an external srt file.

This was never an issue before.

Also any option to edit the subtitle font and style is removed

What version of webos?

anonymous22334455

I don't appear to have any issues - LG C8-65

Added a fake .SRT on The Matrix - 40 Mbit HDR x265 - subs display just fine on the HDR image - no transcoding as expected as it's an external SRT

Also tried on The Martian - 48 Mbit Non-HDR x265 - again, SRT subs show perfectly fine with no transcoding.

Note - other substreams were stripped out - I just use external SRT's now.  Not sure if that is the same setup as yours ?

One other thing to note - On this TV (not sure if it applies to all LG's), if you planned to use Ethernet (hard wired..) you need to DISABLE Wifi on the TV - it does not (as you think it would) default to the wired connection.  I fell into this trap as streaming @ 60/70+ Mbit was a bit unreliable and I couldn't figure out why - but then released despite me having a wired connection - the TV was streaming using the wireless connection ..  :wacko:   Disabling wi-fi  fixed the issue. (I had it on there as a back-up connection only, so no big deal).  So maybe worth disabling wi-fi - to see if it makes any difference ?

I don't use wifi for tv, wifi just unreliable for my tv. i'm using usb 3.0 hub with gigabit ethernet so i can get faster ethernet connection to my router because my 4k tv just like most LG tv don't have gigabit ethernet only megabit so i use usb hub 3.0 to get faster connection and it did. i always remux my movies with *.srt files into mkv container with mkvtoolnix, i try to add *.srt, *.ass, and *.ssa inside the same folder and its still the same problem, no subtitle on those high bitrate movies. i don't know how you don't have this problem.

can you tell me what kind of server are you running? i'm using qnap nas with intel celeron, its not the greatest nas but its good enough for my need since i don't use it for transcoding anything. are you using the latest webos? the latest emby server and client? i'm using the latest beta for emby server and the latest emby client. wait..there's no way emby server beta causing this, is it?

Edited by anonymous22334455

mabbas007

What version of webos?

Software Version

TV information

webOS TV LF6300

Edited by mabbas007

rbjtech

I don't use wifi for tv, wifi just unreliable for my tv. i'm using usb 3.0 hub with gigabit ethernet so i can get faster ethernet connection to my router because my 4k tv just like most LG tv don't have gigabit ethernet only megabit so i use usb hub 3.0 to get faster connection and it did. i always remux my movies with *.srt files into mkv container with mkvtoolnix, i try to add *.srt, *.ass, and *.ssa inside the same folder and its still the same problem, no subtitle on those high bitrate movies. i don't know how you don't have this problem.

can you tell me what kind of server are you running? i'm using qnap nas with intel celeron, its not the greatest nas but its good enough for my need since i don't use it for transcoding anything. are you using the latest webos? the latest emby server and client? i'm using the latest beta for emby server and the latest emby client. wait..there's no way emby server beta causing this, is it?

On my particular TV, it only has USB 2.0 - ie ~40 Mbit/sec max which might be your problem.  

When trying the > 30Mbit files, do you get a transcode log ? 

Although very short sighted by LG, 100Mbit/sec on the Ethernet is more than capable of handling all but the most extreme 4K video and you also need to remember that this is peak bitrate, not nominal, so the internal buffers 'should' smooth out any peaks. 

You've got my interest now - so I'm going to download the 4K test files 80-120 Mbit/sec to see how my TV handles them as I've 'only' got max 65Mbit files (and they play fine - no hiccups at all).

http://jell.yfish.us/

ps - My 'Server' is just a Windows 10 files share but as long as you are able to copy ~10Mbytes a second (should be easy, my share is able to copy ~120Mbyes a second), then streaming @ 100Mbit should not be a problem at all.

Latest WebOS, Latest Emby Beta Server, Latest LG Client.

I'll report back with the high bitrate tests which should hit the Ethernet ceiling (~85-90 Mbit should start struggling on 100Mbit Ethernet)  ..  :)

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech

So as predicted, the Ethernet 100Mbit interface reaches it's capacity as follows (test run 3 times and consistent results) :-

jellyfish-80-mbps-hd-hevc - plays fine - no issues

jellyfish-90-mbps-hd-hevc - one stutter on first part, 2nd part of Video ok

jellyfish-100-mbps-hd-hevc - 3 stutters on first part, 2nd part of Video ok

jellyfish-110-mbps-hd-hevc - transcode kicks in (*) - but plays ok

jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit - transcode starts but my CPU cannot keep up so unwatchable 

jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit - transcode fails and does not start

(*) My 'Home Network Quality' in the Emby App / Settings is 4K - 100Mbit

I also tried Wifi - and set Emby to 120Mbit (the max) and it also played fine - 140Mbit  transcoded but that is an Emby limit, the TV would have probably played it fine.

I'm keeping it on Ethernet as I don't need 90 Mbit+ files (yet)..

SamES

Software Version

TV information

webOS TV LF6300

webOS 2.0

medolino2009

Hi guys, thank you for update... i must say i am having exactly same problems as before with version 1.0.8 , with speed of Emby on my LG TV  49UB850V-ZD (webos 1.4.0-2334), Emby interface is still very slow... not usable... takes up to 30 seconds to load home "Movies page" , and after clicking on one movie takes another 15 seconds to load Movie info page, after pressing play it takes another 15 seconds before it is played...after stopping playback it takes again up to 15 seconds before Movie info page is loaded again....

Could be my TV is older (2015), but i don't think this should be reason as Plex is working just fine... At this point i am using Emby on my mobile devices, but on my TV i am using Plex... hope this will be fixed some time so i could use Emby on all my devices

Best regards

Miki

pastorn

Dear development team,

I really like Emby, but the latest update has unfortunately wrecked my perfectly working solution. :-(   My TV is LG Oled B6 running latest firmware. The problems are the following:

1) Truehd 7.1 not working anymore. Was working perfect on previous version of the app. Now the app seems to choose the last soundtrack instead of the chosen one, if the chosen one is Truehd 7.1.

2) SRT subtitles not usable in HDR mode anymore since the color can not be changed. I have all my SRT subtitles for HDR movies edited to 50% lightness (128/128/128 on RGB scale); this is not recognized anymore and the subtitles are now full white and so bright they are useless.

Does anyone know of a way to revert to a previous version of the app?

The previous version will not be different. The app never had subtitle color settings.

pastorn

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your quick answer. The previous version worked with the following edit to the SRT files:

<font color=#808080>Line</font>

This was done to every single line of the subtitle. A bit akward perhaps but not really a hazzle using a subtitle editor (mark all lines, choose color). You can take my word for it; it was working and it was the only thing making subtitles usable for a HDR movie. It made me choose Emby in the first place...

What about TrueHD 7.1, any idea why that support has disappeared? I don't suppose there is any possibility to edit profiles on specific codec level using Emby-server->Emby-app? Those profiles are just for DLNA, right? Some movies I used to watch can't be played any longer; those where the only available english track is Atmos/TrueHD7.1. This was working perfect previously but it required un-marking the permission boxes for transcoding for that user (users/profiles), thus forcing direct play as the only allowable play method. Perhaps that could be a clue to why it's not working anymore (?).

Again: Thank you for continuously developing the app; I hate to sound ungrateful. I'm just a bit frustrated, that's all, since I had a perfect setup and not it's gone.. I wish there was a way to revert to the old one, meanwhile...(?).

Best regards

/Martin

SamES

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your quick answer. The previous version worked with the following edit to the SRT files:

<font color=#808080>Line</font>

This was done to every single line of the subtitle. A bit akward perhaps but not really a hazzle using a subtitle editor (mark all lines, choose color). You can take my word for it; it was working and it was the only thing making subtitles usable for a HDR movie. It made me choose Emby in the first place...

What about TrueHD 7.1, any idea why that support has disappeared? I don't suppose there is any possibility to edit profiles on specific codec level using Emby-server->Emby-app? Those profiles are just for DLNA, right? Some movies I used to watch can't be played any longer; those where the only available english track is Atmos/TrueHD7.1. This was working perfect previously but it required un-marking the permission boxes for transcoding for that user (users/profiles), thus forcing direct play as the only allowable play method. Perhaps that could be a clue to why it's not working anymore (?).

Again: Thank you for continuously developing the app; I hate to sound ungrateful. I'm just a bit frustrated, that's all, since I had a perfect setup and not it's gone.. I wish there was a way to revert to the old one, meanwhile...(?).

Best regards

/Martin

Just be aware that even if you select this option to prevent transcoding, it is quite probable that the TV was automatically skipping the TrueHD track and playing the next available track.  It does this in a way that Emby app is not aware of it and so it will still report that the TrueHD track is playing but it is not.  Are you sure the TrueHD track was actually playing? 

That is why movies with only a TrueHD track will fail as there is no other track for the TV to fall back to.  This would have been the case with previous versions as well.  

Probably best to leave the transcoding option on and just let the server convert the audio to AC3.  In reality you won't get any benefit from playing the TrueHD/Atmos track.  You won't notice the difference on the TV speakers, and you cannot pass TrueHD audio via HDMI/ARC so there is no way to enjoy it anyway.

Search to TrueHD and ATMOS in the LG Smart TV forum and you'll find quite  a bit of discussion and user testing on this. 

• Like 1

pastorn

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I'm sure that TrueHD track was playing since movies that played the english track before no longer does so (movies with only Atmos/TrueHD). I decode the sound to 2.0 in the TV and it goes out optically (PCM) to a very high fidelity stereo sound system so in my case the difference between TrueHD and compressed formats like for example Dolby Digital is definitely audible, but the main problem is compatibility since a format that was previously supported no longer is. :-/  Which means movies that used to play no longer does...

With the new app, what happens is that I choose the TrueHD track, but Emby seems to revert to the last track on the list instead, which can be anything from portuguese language to a director's commentary track.

Best regards

Martin

SamES

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I'm sure that TrueHD track was playing since movies that played the english track before no longer does so (movies with only Atmos/TrueHD). I decode the sound to 2.0 in the TV and it goes out optically (PCM) to a very high fidelity stereo sound system so in my case the difference between TrueHD and compressed formats like for example Dolby Digital is definitely audible, but the main problem is compatibility since a format that was previously supported no longer is. :-/  Which means movies that used to play no longer does...

If you turn off the the transcoding option on the user profile then this should behave exactly like the previous version.  I will check it but I don't think anything has changed here.

With the new app, what happens is that I choose the TrueHD track, but Emby seems to revert to the last track on the list instead, which can be anything from portuguese language to a director's commentary track.

I'm more interested in this comment, it doesn't sound correct.  Could you please confirm the steps to reproduce (what audio tracks does the file have, is user playback of transcoded content allowed, which track do you select from the details screen, etc)?

When you say you select the TrueHD track, is that from the details screen or is it during playback?  Are you selecting Resume, Play or are you commencing playback from a specific scene selection?  

Thanks

pastorn

Hello Sam! Thanks for your interest in these issues!

I will try and make some more experiments today. Just to make it clear: you mean that if I un-check all transcoding boxes (both audio and video) the two versions of the app should behave the same? Because that is exactly what I first tried; I didn't change any settings (had all transcode options disabled already). But I will try it again!

Regarding TrueHD: I suppose when choosing optical out - as I do - it is the same situation for the app as choosing internal speakers (audio decoded in the TV)? I saw some discussion on the forum about someone wanting to have TrueHD enabled only for selected models which actually support it vs having it disabled for all since it doesn't work with ARC (?). Has anything changed there recently, either on the server side or app side?

I will also try and verify what track it reverts to when it skips the TrueHD track, and if there's any difference in the behaviour depending on where I select the audio track. Is there any debugging mode available in the Emby app, to see what audio format and what stream is actually playing? Or on the server side, perhaps?

For me, TrueHD support is mostly a compatibility issue; I want all movies to play with the default audio track and I don't want unneccesary audio compression. If there was anyway to get the server to transcode TrueHD to 2.0 PCM that would work just fine for me since I have only stereo anyway. But there's no way to choose what it transcodes to, is there? Then it's important that it doesn't break compatibility with HDR and SRT subtitles, as has been deal-breaker in the past. I can try it again but I never got Emby to transcode only the audio; it converted the video as well to low-quality h.264 SDR.

Thanks!

Best regards

Martin

SamES

I'll try to cover this off.

Yes, uncheck 3 boxes, two for transcoding and one for re-encoding.  That should force DirectPlay with no conversion.  This should work the same as the previous version.

You won't get TrueHD with optical out, it's just not possible.  When there are models that support eARC we may need to enable TrueHD for those models, but this would need to be reviewed at the time.

The only way to check what stream is being played is via stats for nerds.  Just be aware that LG TV's do appear to switch from TrueHD to the next track without the Emby App being aware of it so this would be falsely reported.  The only way I've been able to test this is with 2nd and 3rd tracks which have different audio content so that I can distinguish the actual streams.  If it is DirectStreaming or Transcoding then there will be an ffmpeg log on the server which will give some information.

For me, TrueHD support is mostly a compatibility issue; I want all movies to play with the default audio track and I don't want unneccesary audio compression. If there was anyway to get the server to transcode TrueHD to 2.0 PCM that would work just fine for me since I have only stereo anyway. But there's no way to choose what it transcodes to, is there? Then it's important that it doesn't break compatibility with HDR and SRT subtitles, as has been deal-breaker in the past. I can try it again but I never got Emby to transcode only the audio; it converted the video as well to low-quality h.264 SDR.

This is where I'm getting confused.  This is exactly what the server does.  On first playback it will always try to play the default track.  If it is TrueHD (or another incompatible format) it will convert just the audio and leave the video untouched and DirectStream, generally in AC3 format.  This shouldn't impact HDR or SRT subs.  I'm not sure why you would want to select 2 channel PCM instead of AC3.  After the first playback, it will then try and use the last selected track.  So if during playback you switch to audio track3, then on the next playback of that itemit will again use track 3 as the initial audio track.

I would suggest leaving all user transcoding/re-encoding options enabled and try playing back with the default track selected.  If you have a specific example that is converting video instead of just audio, then send me a copy of the ffmpeg log from the server it we can work through the specific case.  It is possible that there is another reason if it is converting not just the audio.

pastorn

Hi,

Have now tested more. Used Schindler's list with three audio tracks (english TrueHD, spanish DD, french DD). The behaviour is same as other movies so not file related. Server logs are uploaded and links provided. Hope you can download them...

Case 1. Schindler's list, all boxed ticked. Stats for nerds says "transcoding because audio codec not supported". Video is transcoded as well (SDR, poor quality). See FFmpeg log 1.

Case 2. Schindler's list, video transcode disabled (other boxes ticked). No playback, "no compatible streams available".
See Ffmpeg log 2a, 2b and 2c

Case 3. Schindler's list, video transcode & video conversion disabled (other boxes ticked). No playback and nog FFmpeg log. App says "no compatible streams available".

Case 4. Schindler's list, all transcode and conversion disabled. App direct plays (video HDR and looks fine) but chooses last audio track on the list, not the second one (!). No FFmpeg log. Stats for nerds unavailable (!).

server       https://file.io/QQ4RMH

1               https://file.io/y8ZHeT

2a             https://file.io/uhi2Ll

2b             https://file.io/Vjxn4u

2c             https://file.io/7GafCR

Hitsville

On first playback it will always try to play the default track.  If it is TrueHD (or another incompatible format) it will convert just the audio and leave the video untouched and DirectStream, generally in AC3 format.  This shouldn't impact HDR or SRT subs. 

I can confirm that this is exactly what's happening in my case without exception.

I have over 250 HDR remuxes. As you say only the audio converts. In the odd case I'm getting an occasional freeze with a combination of True-HD and external .srt, however all the remuxes I own all seem to have a secondary AC3 track so a moot point for me.

Anyway I only came here to say what an absolute joy the LG app is in Emby.(Even more incredible as the Plex variant really sucks.)

Although mainly intended as a secondary client for catching up on my latest episode of the Blacklist etc.. (I also own a Shield and an HTPC) I'm just finding myself using this app exclusively, even at the cost of losing Atmos when watching my HDR remuxes.

I guess my ears are gong faster than my eyes. I'm hooked on HDR, but not being blown away by Atmos.

So, thanks for such an amazing app, which just keeps surprising me. I actually, after several weeks of usage, just accidentally hit the scroll button on my remote whilst it was coincidentally positioned over the navigation bar. Seeing a timeline and chapter thumbs suddenly appear was a very nice surprise and the final piece in the "Plex or Emby" puzzle.

My old primary reason for Emby was speed of Emby Server compared to PMS. 

My new primary reason is...well this is simply the best, most usable client I have used in the last 6 or 7 years with either server on any device.

Edited by Hitsville
  • Like 1