Status on official LG app

jhs

rbjtech

.. font, font size and colour are all configurable simply by editing the .ASS header.  I think a few replies after my post, the OP had edited the default V4+ Style (global) and then run with normal settings in Events.

Colour 808080 turns the font dark grey on my LG C8 - perfect for dark room cinema and exactly what this part of the thread was about.

I agree the configuration options in ffmpeg are very limited - and ideally Emby should give us these options but as this appears to be the ONLY way to get colours working via the LG App then a quick script is all that is needed to convert the existing internal or external SRT subtitles to .ass and simply set them as default using the .forced. in the HDR only filename.

Edited by rbjtech

macnb

.. font, font size and colour are all configurable simply by editing the .ASS header.  I think a few replies after my post, the OP had edited the default V4+ Style (global) and then run with normal settings in Events.

Colour 808080 turns the font dark grey on my LG C8 - perfect for dark room cinema and exactly what this part of the thread was about.

I agree the configuration options in ffmpeg are very limited - and ideally Emby should give us these options but as this appears to be the ONLY way to get colours working via the LG App then a quick script is all that is needed to convert the existing internal or external SRT subtitles to .ass and simply set them as default using the .forced. in the HDR only filename.

Finding and converting every .SRT to .ASS is not the problem - that's a relatively simple script.

The problem is that it's not practical to edit every single resulting .ASS file to change the font size and colour.

dnanielsen

@@macnb

There is a software called 'Subtitle Edit' that let's you batch convert .SRT files (just open the top level folder in that convert screen and it will include all sub folders) and style them with font, fontsize, color, font outline/shadow, text placement etc.

macnb

@@macnb

There is a software called 'Subtitle Edit' that let's you batch convert .SRT files (just open the top level folder in that convert screen and it will include all sub folders) and style them with font, fontsize, color, font outline/shadow, text placement etc.

Thanks. But Subtitle Edit is only for Windows which I do not use so not much good to me.

I just wrote a quick and simple Linux script that runs on my server.

It takes Media-folder root as the input and scans for every .SRT file and converts them to .ASS files.

Then it edits the .ASS files to changes the Font Size and Colour.

So it provides a temporary workaround until Emby App is updated.

Attached if anyone is interested.

srt2ass.sh.zip

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Previous versions (1 month ago) it was possible to change subtitle size via Emby app. Now this has been disabled and suggested to edit subtitles size via external ASS (header) :)

For me disabling subtitle size setting makes Emby almost non-usable. I have resort to use Emby only as DNLA server and use integrated LG TV movie player which plays subtitles at least twice bigger.

Previous versions (1 month ago) it was possible to change subtitle size via Emby app. Now this has been disabled and suggested to edit subtitles size via external ASS (header) :)

For me disabling subtitle size setting makes Emby almost non-usable. I have resort to use Emby only as DNLA server and use integrated LG TV movie player which plays subtitles at least twice bigger.

Hi, we have not yet added the subtitle size setting to the app. It's never been possible using the UI in the app.

Hi, we have not yet added the subtitle size setting to the app. It's never been possible using the UI in the app.

Feature was same as it is in your web client (http://tv.emby.media/).

You could change subtitles size, color and style (drop shadow / outline / ets) in LG Emby app on TV.

It was 100% possible in version where you couldn't change home layout back from horizontal without web client.

This feature was REMOVED from app. Why? I don't know.

Edited by fds

We had to hide the settings menu for now to get through LG review. They were rejecting the app too many times because they didn't understand something, or thought it didn't work. That's what caused the delay in getting an update out. We'll look add it back in a future update. Thanks.

CrappyUserName

Tested and works! :-D Wohooo!!

Couldn’t tell if bold style made a difference but I believe that to be the least important of styles. I also believe LG is only partially supporting SSA, because when I converted an SRT file in Subtitle Editor I just got ”no compatible streams available”. But your code is a good working example!

Let me know about your scripting progress, I’m wondering if I can get some free advice there? :-)

I had the same problem with incompatible streams using Subtitle Editor. By default it doesn't seem to add the PlayResX and PlayResY fields into the [script Info] section of the file. These seem to be required by the LG app. There is a solution -

Open the ASS (he he) file in Subtitle Edit.

Go to the File menu and select "Advanced Sub Station Alpha Properties"

You can enter the resolution manually or click the 3 dots button and select the video file associated with the subtitles, this will automatically add the resolution.

Although it did some weird stuff when the resolution was set to 1920x816. The subs were unbelievably small. 384 x 288 seemed more appropriate.Change it to suit I guess.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
jenda__

I was possible 4 months ago.

Is there any other way to change subtitle size then? Subtitles are tiny and basically unreadable on my TV since March when these settings disappeared.

We plan to add subtitle size settings in a future update to the app. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Emby for LG 1.0.16 has been released. Stay tuned to our blog for the announcement. Thanks.

• Like 2

BradJMelb

Hi Luke,

Has version 1.0.16 dropped support for Emby server version 3.x? My parents have an older QNAP NAS that is stuck using Stephane’s 3.3.0.0 qmono release as QNAP have EOL the NAS and not released a 64bit version of the QNAP OS for it. It’s been chugging along for a long time without issue but after they updated their 2017 OLED (WebOS 3.6) client last week it will no longer connect. They’ve had similar problems in iOS but it hasn’t bothered them as the TV is the main client that they use. I’ll do another post in the QNAP thread about options but just wanted to know if there was anyway of getting this new client to connect to Server 3.3.0.0?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi Luke,

Has version 1.0.16 dropped support for Emby server version 3.x? My parents have an older QNAP NAS that is stuck using Stephane’s 3.3.0.0 qmono release as QNAP have EOL the NAS and not released a 64bit version of the QNAP OS for it. It’s been chugging along for a long time without issue but after they updated their 2017 OLED (WebOS 3.6) client last week it will no longer connect. They’ve had similar problems in iOS but it hasn’t bothered them as the TV is the main client that they use. I’ll do another post in the QNAP thread about options but just wanted to know if there was anyway of getting this new client to connect to Server 3.3.0.0?

Thanks

What Qnap model do they have?

BradJMelb

What Qnap model do they have?

It’s a 439 Pro II+ running 4.2.6 x86.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
CrappyUserName

Feature request - Any chance of having the video title scroll to the left on repeat when a title is highlighted? I have a lot of music videos saved that just have a screenshot for the cover art and the title just has enough room for the artist name a lot of the time. The only way to tell which concert the video is from is to select it and if its the wrong one, go back to the browse screen.

Just putting this here as it may help others -

I have an LG OLED B6 (2016). Very rarely in Emby (probably happened 5 times in 2 years), the screen will go black when attempting to play a video. I initially thought this was some intermittent bug in Emby caused by a bad video file.

When this occurred you had to turn the TV off and on again to get Emby to go back to the main screen but if you tried to play any video file it would just go black. The only solution (I thought at the time) was to remove the Emby app and re-install. I also re-encoded the video I thought caused the issue. This got me going again.

It happened a couple of weeks ago and I did everything above but it didn't fix it. I even turned off the quick startup, no dice. Any video I played just went to a black screen. In the end I turned the TV off at the power point and waited until the standby light went out (Takes a couple of minutes) and then turned it back on. This got me going again.

So it happened again yesterday. This time I didn't do anything except turn the TV off at the powerpoint, waited for the light to go out and turned it back on. I went straight back the initial video I tried to play and it worked.

So I don't think it's a bug with Emby at all, I think it's an LG problem.

On list view in Movies it used to show the Movie rating, it isn't any longer. Is that by design or should it be there?

Hi, what rating are you referring to?

shrouski

Hi, what rating are you referring to?

Hi, it was probably the IMDB rating.I used to sort by IMDB rating descending and you could see the rating, but you can't any more. I notice you can't on the Web UI either, but I don't know if you could before or not, just that it definitely showed on the LG app.

It used to be displayed against Titles in the Horizontal view as well which I can't see how to select any more (I didn't use it, just went to check if the rating still showed there)

Hi, it was probably the IMDB rating.I used to sort by IMDB rating descending and you could see the rating, but you can't any more. I notice you can't on the Web UI either, but I don't know if you could before or not, just that it definitely showed on the LG app.

It used to be displayed against Titles in the Horizontal view as well which I can't see how to select any more (I didn't use it, just went to check if the rating still showed there)

Do you still see them on the video detail screen?