Status on official LG app

jhs

Deihmos

Hi Brudertac,

I'm sure you are right, I'm sure it will improve, but 2 things bothered me

1. I wanted a workable solution now, not 6 months down the line, and given the LG verification process, IMHO this is what we are looking at, at a minimum.

2. Even with enhancements, as a software developer my gut was telling me emby running on LG wouldn't achieve the performance I was looking for from a media server. I could be wrong but this was just my gut feeling.

I purchased a 1st gen webos tv and in the software front it has been a complete let down. If only it was easy to get rid of it. Edited by Deihmos

mastrmind11

Late model LG tvs just don't have the juice to make Emby work well.  I replaced the whole "smart" part of the tv w/ a MiBox.  Only thing missing is Prime Video, which can be fixed if you get a Shield instead.  

CBers

I have to admit, the LG app is good, but is lacking updates to bring it up to the level of the Emby ATV app.

Waiting for LG (and Samsung for that matter) to approve releases causes users to use other clients, or products.

I also have a Samsung TV with the Samsung app installed, but it's not a patch on the ATV app.

Thankfully I have a Shield connected to each of the TV's, so all good here.

I have to admit, the LG app is good, but is lacking updates to bring it up to the level of the Emby ATV app.

Glad to have your stamp of approval :)

Yotengrit

Sorry for the double post from "Cannot find Emby app" topic, but I would like to know If we get 720p UI support in the next release or If not, when does we get it?

Thank you!

Dewey80

Yes please voice your opinion about this with LG by opening a support ticket with them. Thanks !

Submitted a ticket with them... let's see if it helps :P

CBers

Glad to have your stamp of approval :)

I wouldn't go that far :)

All of the ET based apps need work, as they are not consistent across the board.

I know WebOS, Tizen, Orsay etc. all have different capabilities, but they need to have at least the same basic functionality.  

Where TV OS's have different capabilities allowing for better functionality, this needs to be explained in the app, or here on the forums.

I know Emby has no control over the release mechanism, but the procedure takes forever.

I'm still waiting for the LG app to be updated following my observations, and other's - the last update was the middle of December 2017.

The Samsung Orsay app also took too long to be updated and now needs further improvements, so who knows when that will be available.

Perhaps there is another way for Emby to put out releases quicker?

The Android TV (ATV) app is available within an hour or so after @@ebr releases it, as the Google procedure is less complex.

As such, and I'm sorry to keep comparing, the Android TV (ATV) app is a more polished product and is my goto client every day.

Just my thoughts :)

Ceten

I wouldn't go that far :)

All of the ET based apps need work, as they are not consistent across the board.

I know WebOS, Tizen, Orsay etc. all have different capabilities, but they need to have at least the same basic functionality.  

Where TV OS's have different capabilities allowing for better functionality, this needs to be explained in the app, or here on the forums.

I know Emby has no control over the release mechanism, but the procedure takes forever.

I'm still waiting for the LG app to be updated following my observations, and other's - the last update was the middle of December 2017.

The Samsung Orsay app also took too long to be updated and now needs further improvements, so who knows when that will be available.

Perhaps there is another way for Emby to put out releases quicker?

The Android TV (ATV) app is available within an hour or so after @@ebr releases it, as the Google procedure is less complex.

As such, and I'm sorry to keep comparing, the Android TV (ATV) app is a more polished product and is my goto client every day.

Just my thoughts :)

I do believe this can be a great app but as there has been no update in over 2 months I've stopped testing the app as there is no use in testing if some problems might already have been fixed in the upcoming update.

I understand Emby has no control over the LG approval process but if updates take months people just look for other solutions.

I'm leaning more and more towards buying a new HTPC or Nvidia Shield although I'd prefer using the LG app for simplicity and WAF.

CBers

I'm leaning more and more towards buying a new HTPC or Nvidia Shield although I'd prefer using the LG app for simplicity and WAF.

I have 3 Nvidia Shield TV's in the house and thoroughly recommend them.

The ATV app is far more advanced than the ET TV app and releases are much quicker, especially on the beta channel.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Get a shield, hands down.  Your wife won't even know the difference, and will likely prefer the ATV app to the LG app.  

• Like 1

Get a shield, hands down.  Your wife won't even know the difference, and will likely prefer the ATV app to the LG app.  

Yeah I agree, if you can afford it, buy the shield. I only have a MiBox and the ATV Emby app is miles better than the LG app.

With that said, I'm still rooting for a better Emby WebOS LG app, it's quite expensive to equip even MiBox to every TV in the house, so a native LG solution will still be a viable option for most. I have a lower end LG TV so the experience of the current version is very sluggish, even browsing is a pain. Hopefully this will be remedied on the much-anticipated updated version.

vangeliis

I have 3 Nvidia Shield TV's in the house and thoroughly recommend them.

Hi @@CBers and other Shield TV owners (sorry to hijack the thread)

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Shield TV and would like to ask your opinion on the following set-up:

Shield TV (HDMI out, audio passthrough, h265 decoding) --> Onkyo 7.2 receiver (for atmos and dts hd ma) HDMI out --> TV

Use either DLNA or Emby client app for Android. Do you see any "issues" with the above set-up? Would audio/video quality be affected?

Many thanks,

vangeliis

• Like 1

mastrmind11

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Shield TV and would like to ask your opinion on the following set-up:

Shield TV (HDMI out, audio passthrough, h265 decoding) --> Onkyo 7.2 receiver (for atmos and dts hd ma) HDMI out --> TV

Use either DLNA or Emby client app for Android. Do you see any "issues" with the above set-up? Would audio/video quality be affected?

Many thanks,

vangeliis

That's the only way to set it up assuming you want to use all of the components you listed...

• Like 2

vangeliis

That's the only way to set it up assuming you want to use all of the components you listed...

Many thanks,

vangeliis

And if I wanted to hook up the Shield TV to a 4K monitor (>32inch), what are the options?

mastrmind11

And if I wanted to hook up the Shield TV to a 4K monitor (>32inch), what are the options?

Just a monitor? Would depend on the monitor's inputs. But then there'd be no sound [emoji6]

It comes down to whether the monitor has HDMI inputs. But even if it's display port, there's an adapter for that I believe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vangeliis

Just a monitor? Would depend on the monitor's inputs. But then there'd be no sound [emoji6]

It comes down to whether the monitor has HDMI inputs. But even if it's display port, there's an adapter for that I believe.

I meant to say:

Shield TV --> A/V receiver --> 4K Monitor

mastrmind11

I meant to say:

Shield TV --> A/V receiver --> 4K Monitor

So my post above applies.

So my post above applies.

With the caveat that the receiver and cables need to support 4k...

mastrmind11

With the caveat that the receiver and cables need to support 4k...

Yes. Implied, but yes.

tux88gem
I have an LG TV : 55LH6000-SB

Web OS version: 3.3.3-4401 (dreadlocks-dharug)

Software version : 05.30.01

I don't see the emby application in the app panel !

Is my TV compatible with Emby ?

Thanks for your help

mattykellyuk

I have sent LG an email about the update delay. Its getting ridiculous!

I'll let you know if they reply anything interesting

mattykellyuk

They're not being very helpful and say I should contact you guys.

"Good Afternoon Matt, 

Thank you for email regarding your OLED55C6V TV. 

I am sorry for misunderstanding your query. 

I have spoken to my senior technician about this questions and he has confirmed this will down to the application developer. 

Matt we only supply the platform for this application we do not operate the application. All the application developer needs to do is send out a new update to your TV and this will then be available to the customer. 

At the moment we are not aware of this update so I suggest contacting Emby to look into this."