Status on official LG app

jhs

monkeycoder

Hi,

When you say "shield is no where near the picture quality of the built in player on my OLED", can you elaborate further, I've found the picture quality to generally quite good when playing 4K HDR material, what are you playing is it 1080p/720p?

Thanks

andyblac644

Hi,

When you say "shield is no where near the picture quality of the built in player on my OLED", can you elaborate further, I've found the picture quality to generally quite good when playing 4K HDR material, what are you playing is it 1080p/720p?

Thanks

have you tried Xplay for plex (it uses the built in internal lg payer) or attach a usb stick and play the media from that ?, there is no comparison to playing from the shield it blows it away. at any resolution

Edited by andyblac644

monkeycoder

Hi Brudertac,

I'm sure you are right, I'm sure it will improve, but 2 things bothered me

1. I wanted a workable solution now, not 6 months down the line, and given the LG verification process, IMHO this is what we are looking at, at a minimum.

2. Even with enhancements, as a software developer my gut was telling me emby running on LG wouldn't achieve the performance I was looking for from a media server. I could be wrong but this was just my gut feeling.

monkeycoder

Thanks for the feedback andyblac644, I'll do another comparison tonight, you've got me curious now, what material are you playing? (If the shield has to upscale it's well know that the built in upscaler is no where near the quality of the one in the TV.)

andyblac644

When I open the app I can hear my Synology box hdds hard working to load all the images and data the app will show on TV. I think there is a lot room to optimize the server side of emby. I do not know if there are differences between the OS systems but on Synology it look like there is no cache used. That could speed up the loading time a lot.

But, give the devs some time, the LG app is brand new and i am sure this will get better.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

that can't be the issue, I have RS3617XS it has Xeon quad core cpu and 32Gb of ram, and the lg app is really slow, so I am afraid the issue is not on the server side.

monkeycoder

I suspect his app isn't HTML5 and browser based, but then he doesn't have to target a dozen different platforms, so it's easier for him to write a native app for LG.

andyblac644

I suspect his app isn't HTML5 and browser based, but then he doesn't have to target a dozen different platforms, so it's easier for him to write a native app for LG.

imo this is what is required, trying to do a shared app this main issue imo.

The way I see it, it's the loading of images that is taxing to the TV. Mine is probably first gen WebOS 3 TV, so the Emby app is really slow on mine.

I have a suggestion, to make things fast how about we have a 'no image' options? It won't be as pretty as now, but it should be more snappy right?

Especially in the 'browse all' section, a list view should be an option (or is it already there? need to check, away from my TV now). It's unbearably slow to load all the posters on mine, often it crashes because it eats too many memory.

muppets4

Live tv seems to work fine. But what I was really hoping is not working yet. The control buttons on the remote are not working. Except for back, direction and enter. They allready worked on the first edition.

Edited by muppets4

More keys (play/pause/ff/rw) should be in the next release.  Hopefully it gets through a little quicker

Brudertac

I have created a RAM Disk on my Synology and setup Emby to use it as Cache Folder.

This gives really a huge Speed improvement. Loading times are much faster. :)

This brings me back to "Cache" on Emby Server. I am sure there is potential on it.

andyblac644

I have created a RAM Disk on my Synology and setup Emby to use it as Cache Folder.

This gives really a huge Speed improvement. Loading times are much faster. :)

This brings me back to "Cache" on Emby Server. I am sure there is potential on it.

again disagree, as I said I run a RS3617XS with quad core xeon 32GB ram, 106Tb storage with 240Gb SSD cache drive, and still the app is dog slow, as I have said the slowness is not to do with server only, the app need optimising a lot.

5a35303577daf_ScreenShot20171216at143732

Edited by andyblac644

mastrmind11

installed on my 2.0 and uninstalled 5 mins later.  unusable for an adult, impossible for a kid.  i'm unsure what the problem is, but perhaps the Emby team can take some pointers from the Screenplay dev.  I'll stay tuned for future reviews.

installed on my 2.0 and uninstalled 5 mins later.  unusable for an adult, impossible for a kid.  i'm unsure what the problem is, but perhaps the Emby team can take some pointers from the Screenplay dev.  I'll stay tuned for future reviews.

Can you describe what the problem is? thanks.

mastrmind11

Can you describe what the problem is? thanks.

Really, really sluggish and button presses don't seem to register, though sometimes they'll lag and register at some point in the future and then they all catch up at once.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Brudertac

Thanks for the feedback.

How does the release of future updates work? Will LG approve every single update before release or can emby push updates faster in future because the app is already released?

They have to approve new updates. We could switch to the cloud hosted app model if we want, which would allow us to bypass the LG review process, but then the app will unfortunately require an active internet connection in order to be used.

I'm reading mixed information (I think).

Is the performance problem something for WebOS 2 only or is it also present in WebOS 3+ ?

I'm stalling the upgrade on my TV for this now... Having a WebOS 3+ LG

Brudertac

They have to approve new updates. We could switch to the cloud hosted app model if we want, which would allow us to bypass the LG review process, but then the app will unfortunately require an active internet connection in order to be used.

Thanks. Hm, for me an internet connection is no problem but other may not like this. Let's hope LG can speed up the approve process ;-)

mastrmind11

I'm reading mixed information (I think).

Is the performance problem something for WebOS 2 only or is it also present in WebOS 3+ ?

I'm stalling the upgrade on my TV for this now... Having a WebOS 3+ LG

seemd to be 2.0 only.

• Like 1