Status on official LG app

jhs

andyblac644

bah!!!!!!, version 1.0.4 has been pushed to store, but still no WebOS2 support @@Luke Did it fail again ?

EDIT:

haha, guess I was just too quick, app site says it now supported, brb go test :D

Edited by andyblac644

andyblac644

@@Luke sorry to say, but it is hardly useable it way to slow, takes up to 20 seconds to open a movie page, general navigation is just slow each button press take 2-3 seconds to action, also 4K movies do not play, and DTS is also not direct playing.

EDIT:

I can get DTS to direct play by disabling allow Transcoding of audio, so I guess it just a profile issue, I guess this could be fixed ?

Edited by andyblac644

We submitted this build immediately after the initial release, but as you're well aware that was 6 weeks ago. During that time we've made performance improvements in the app and I'll look at getting another submission together for release.

And yes we can look at DTS passthrough.

andyblac644

We submitted this build immediately after the initial release, but as you're well aware that was 6 weeks ago. During that time we've made performance improvements in the app and I'll look at getting another submission together for release.

And yes we can look at DTS passthrough.

thats cool, what about 4k HEVC ? my tv direct plays them np in XPlay for plex.

mattykellyuk

@@Luke really pleased with the update thanks. Only problem i have is playing video's with vobsub subtitles. They make the server transcode whereas everything else is direct played. Is this a known issue?

andyblac644

@@Luke could it be the profile ?

<MaxStreamingBitrate>40000000</MaxStreamingBitrate>
  <MaxStaticBitrate>40000000</MaxStaticBitrate>

<DirectPlayProfiles>
    <DirectPlayProfile container="ts,mpegts,avi,mkv" audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3,mp3,dca,dts" videoCodec="h264" type="Video" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="mp4,m4v" audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3,mp3,dca,dts" videoCodec="h264,mpeg4" type="Video" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="mp3" type="Audio" />
    <DirectPlayProfile container="jpeg" type="Photo" />
  </DirectPlayProfiles>

<CodecProfile type="Video" codec="h264">
      <Conditions>
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Width" value="1920" isRequired="true" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="Height" value="1080" isRequired="true" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="VideoFramerate" value="30" isRequired="true" />
        <ProfileCondition condition="LessThanEqual" property="VideoLevel" value="41" isRequired="true" />
      </Conditions>

HEVC is not mentioned ? and 40mbits is really low I have played 140mbits with no issues in Xplay for plex. Edited by andyblac644

andyblac644

@@Luke really pleased with the update thanks. Only problem i have is playing video's with vobsub subtitles. They make the server transcode whereas everything else is direct played. Is this a known issue?

lg does not support VOB subtitles only text base subs, so either you'll have to convert them, and remux them back in to mkv, or let server transcode it.

• Like 1

I will await the dts fix which is sounds like is whats breaking mkv support ( i am not trying to play 4K) so will keep waiting till i can do everything from the tv and leave the wmc emby app alone.... i notice subs were not synced but will save that for after i get the update to the app

mattykellyuk

lg does not support VOB subtitles only text base subs, so either you'll have to convert them, and remux them back in to mkv, or let server transcode it.

Cheers

Brudertac

Hey there,

the new Version doesn´t show the Codec Details from a Movie anymore. (eg. HEVC, 4K, HDR etc) Any way to bring this back?

And, if i compare the WebOS 2 Version with the WebOS 3.5 Version i found that the 2 Version is much faster to handle... (on an older TV :) )

Thanks! I think it is time to buy Premiere.... :)

Hey there,

the new Version doesn´t show the Codec Details from a Movie anymore. (eg. HEVC, 4K, HDR etc) Any way to bring this back?

And, if i compare the WebOS 2 Version with the WebOS 3.5 Version i found that the 2 Version is much faster to handle... (on an older TV :) )

Thanks! I think it is time to buy Premiere.... :)

hi @@Brudertac, thanks for the feedback. What version of emby server are you running?

lateparty

...if i compare the WebOS 2 Version with the WebOS 3.5 Version i found that the 2 Version is much faster to handle... (on an older TV)...

Wait what, it’s out for OS 2?? I can’t wait to get home now. I’ve been pretty successfully using cast while controlling from my phone but looking forward to the app.

Edit: it is there!!! Look at that date though. Bloody LG!

Thanks Luke.

Edited by lateparty

andyblac644

Wait what, it’s out for OS 2?? I can’t wait to get home now. I’ve been pretty successfully using cast while controlling from my phone but looking forward to the app.

Edit: it is there!!! Look at that date though. Bloody LG!

Thanks Luke.

don't get your hopes up, it's really slow and crashes a lot, ie it take 10-20 seconds just to open the episode/movie info page, if it opens at all.

lateparty

It’s not perfect, but it’s 1.0 and it played two movies tonight just fine WITHOUT subtitles on by default, this made me very happy.

Now that I mention it, not sure how I would turn subtitles on if I wanted them during playback but I’m not particularly stressed.

andyblac644

It’s not perfect, but it’s 1.0 and it played two movies tonight just fine WITHOUT subtitles on by default, this made me very happy.

Now that I mention it, not sure how I would turn subtitles on if I wanted them during playback but I’m not particularly stressed.

just curious, it the GUI slow for you as well, I have a 55EF950V as it's slow as hell.

lateparty

just curious, it the GUI slow for you as well, I have a 55EF950V as it's slow as hell.

Comparing it to Plex, yeah it’s slow (noticiable delay in both building the next screen and then populating it) to transition into different sections/down the tree through media (all shows->show->season) but like Plex and other apps sometimes the TV just won’t register a command from the remote which doesn’t help the issue with the app itself.

Overall, there’s plenty of room to improve but at least there’s a working copy out now, and with the community feedback, Luke and the team can work to address the concerns.

Based on my experience with devs professionally and in other communities, the more accurate you can describe an issue, the easier it is to address and a rip for everyone accuracy != lots and lots of detail.

andyblac644

Comparing it to Plex, yeah it’s slow (noticiable delay in both building the next screen and then populating it) to transition into different sections/down the tree through media (all shows->show->season) but like Plex and other apps sometimes the TV just won’t register a command from the remote which doesn’t help the issue with the app itself.

Overall, there’s plenty of room to improve but at least there’s a working copy out now, and with the community feedback, Luke and the team can work to address the concerns.

Based on my experience with devs professionally and in other communities, the more accurate you can describe an issue, the easier it is to address and a rip for everyone accuracy != lots and lots of detail.

thanks, just a shame we can't get debug info from the app for Luke, I tried playing a tvshows episode last night, it would not even open the episode info page, just got stuck on the grey bank page, left it for 5 mins, then gave up, went back to xplay, I really want to make the switch fully to Emby, but until the LG app is usable, there is no way I can :(.

monkeycoder

Hi,

Just to share my experience for other, I also found it very slow too, coming from a fast Kodi system it wasn’t the user experience I was use to or indeed wanted, sorry.  I could be wrong but had my suspicions that emby may be using the inbuilt WebOs browser, which I have notices is also often slow, especially when scrolling.

Given the above assumption I wasn’t convinced that the emby team could even get the performance to a level that I would be happy with, as such, instead of purchasing the lifetime subscription, I have invested that towards an Nvidia Shield box (running Kodi) which absolutely flys and 4K, HDR, DTS, Subtitles all work flawlessly.  There are issue with the Sheild box granted, namely resolution switching, but this isn’t really much of a problem for me as my main concern is playing 4K, Kodi upscales anything not 4K, and the upscaler quality is good enough for me.

Hope the info helps someone.

Edited by monkeycoder

andyblac644

Hi,

Just to share my experience for other, I also found it very slow too, coming from a fast Kodi system it wasn’t the user experience I was use to or indeed wanted, sorry.  I could be wrong but had my suspicions that emby may be using the inbuilt WebOs browser, which I have notices is also often slow, especially when scrolling.

Given the above assumption I wasn’t convinced that the emby team could even get the performance to a level that I would be happy with, as such, instead of purchasing the lifetime subscription, I have invested that towards an Nvidia Shield box (running Kodi) which absolutely flys and 4K, HDR, DTS, Subtitles all work flawlessly.  There are issue with the Sheild box granted, namely resolution switching, but this isn’t really much of a problem for me as my main concern is playing 4K, Kodi upscales anything not 4K, and the upscaler quality is good enough for me.

Hope the info helps someone.

I have a shield as well, but for me it is a no go for my main viewing, as the shield is no where near the picture quality of the built in player on my OLED. I can see a vast difference, be it the Emby app or Kodi app on the shield.

If you correct I'm screwed, and will have be force to stay with XPlay, that not what I wanted, as plex is really getting worse with every build.

Brudertac

When I open the app I can hear my Synology box hdds hard working to load all the images and data the app will show on TV. I think there is a lot room to optimize the server side of emby. I do not know if there are differences between the OS systems but on Synology it look like there is no cache used. That could speed up the loading time a lot.

But, give the devs some time, the LG app is brand new and i am sure this will get better.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 1