Status on official LG app

jhs

unisoft

Great news of a release.

The guide looks odd. Although the original bug of screen corruption at the bottom has been fixed, I'm finding on my 32" HD LED LG TV that there is wasted space where another 4 channels could be listed. The guide looks too small.

Also the logos for shows logo.png still look too small on the now playing window where media controls get displayed. In the other apps they are better sized. I reported this a few years ago now and disappointing it's not fixed. I also didn't see the logos when you are at the season level.

Also in horizontal view suddenly got 24 tiles on homescreen under TV for Continue Watching. A bit excessive as 9 to 12 is plenty. Perhaps a config file setting would be nice here.

Scrolling seems faster which is great!

Edited by unisoft

unisoft
On 14/12/2021 at 18:43, ebr said:

Exactly.  That is the current modern interface for pretty much every media platform out there.  What you are requesting was always specific to Microsoft and even they have abandoned it everywhere except the Xbox.

If I export the normal android app to a Sony for example to get the horizontal view, then that code already exists. Can't see why you drag your feet as porting shouldn't be difficult to the native Android TV app.

It also makes that app uniform with the others that have it. I wish you wouldn't disregard that view as it actually looks good and you should champion both as two themes for customer choice. Even the web app can do horizontal as well as Theatre and LG and Samsung apps.

Edited by unisoft

KevinSartori
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.31 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Hi @Luke,

Congrats and thanks for the effort here!  I've been playing with the new update on my B7 and it looks great!  I like some of the additional features I'm seeing!  I think we finally have parity with the Web interface.

I've found two issues.  In Movies, if you have Community Rating checked under Show Fields, then there is a weird navigation issue.  Clicking left or right on the remote also moves you up one row.  I've isolated Community Rating as the culprit.  Having any or all of the other options under Show Fields (Title, Year, Critic Rating, Parental Rating) enabled or disabled does not affect the issue.  Having Community Rating checked is what does it.  I even checked changing the View to see if that corrected the issue, but no luck.

For the second issue, some quick background.  I use Ember Media Manager for my images and metadata.  I manually add the Rotten Tomatoes rating for TV Shows and it adds it to the tvshow.nfo file.  The format it uses looks like this:

<rating name="tomatometerallcritics" max="100" default="false">
      <value>89</value>
    </rating>

When I'm inside a specific show, I can see the Rotten Tomatoes rating that I've added listed there, so I know it works and Emby is able to pull it from the tvshow.nfo file.  With the new update, I was excited to see that I could now enable "Critic Rating" under Show Fields.  This works for the main Movies screen and I can see the Rotten Tomatoes ratings for each movie there, but they don't show up in the main TV Shows screen.  It's probably worth pointing out that this behavior is identical to the Web app, which also doesn't show the Rotten Tomatoes scores in the main TV Shows view, so this could be a bug/oversight that affects Emby on all platforms.

Thanks again for all the effort and resubmissions you've gone through with LG.  Much appreciated!

Edited by KevinSartori
Misspelling

11 hours ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

Adding a 4K device to my 4K LG TV isn't gonna work because my AVR is 1080p and I use ARC...yada...yada...yada..

My AVR is also to old and only 4K 30Hz, so not enough bandwidth for HDR etc...

I got a HDMI splitter similar to this - https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-avedio-links-HDMI2-0b-3840x2160/dp/B07XCZC6SP/

I run my Nvidia Shield into that, audio is split off into the AVR while full stream is into the TV. Then it is just a situation of having TV HDMI input to Shield, and AVR input to the splitter. Universal remote handles those commands.

On my sign in attempt after downloading, I did the https://emby.media/pin.html method, it showed my servers in duplicate, and none of them could be selected.

Ultimately I signed in manually by entering server IP address etc...

Slower to use than the Nvidia Shield, but that is 100% expected. I will continue to use the Shield, but this is helpful for many, and worth me having a look.

The mix of vertical and horizontal scrolling is baffling. Movies and Music are vertical, TV and Collections is horizontal. 

The lack of Clear Filter option is even more annoying using a remote than a mouse and keyboard, an option I hope gets added across the board, Plex has this as the top Filter option once you apply any filter and it's super helpful.

Edited by KRULL

The mix of vertical and horizontal scrolling is baffling. Movies and Music are vertical, TV and Collections is horizontal.

Perhaps you've enabled the horizontal home screen option. If you set it back to vertical, then pretty much everything is vertical.

quietday
On 12/15/2021 at 4:07 PM, Ronstang said:

Then PLEASE put a sticky in the GENERAL server forum telling people about this and to avoid LG TVs if they care about emby.  I only bought these pieces of junk because I have an LG I really like that is running emby perfectly so I made the false assumption these TVs would also.  If LG is that difficult to deal with then everyone needs to know to avoid their products.

I choose my TVs based on the features and services I use, so I also assumed that because there's no disclaimer of the limitations of the lines or challenges of working with LG approvals that there would be feature and performance parity between the LG WebOS TV and all other versions.

It took dropping Emby, switching to Plex for a year, then testing all three on an iPad to discover that Emby was actually a pretty great service and that I should buy Premiere.

Displaying the compatibility and features of current builds for various devices in a feature grid with an overall letter-grade rating would be a big help. Because the LG TVs have poor subtitle rendering, low performance, minimal features, and no consistent release cycle, I'd say that they're only technically supported and deserve a "D+: do not buy exclusively for Emby use". If I'd been advised beforehand, I'd have bought a "dumb TV" and put the $200+ I'd saved into an Nvidia Shield instead of hoping and expecting the experience to improve.

Edited by quietday

Ronstang

Wow! I complain and and 12 hours later the app is released.....I am not really happy with this TV for a couple reasons and I want to take it back and upgrade but now I find the feature most important to me is the 24p judder handling and I need it to work in all 4 cases and I was going to bite the bullet and buy a C1 OLED instead....only to find out about image burn in which means I can never own an Oled as I watch too many stations with logos or static screen content.  Now I have to find a better TV than this LG but not an OLED....it never ends

Edited by Ronstang

Malmgren

I'm so happy things are finally starting to move! I hope this means development on the LG app will now accelerate until the point where the LG app has catched up with the other apps? The function I have been waiting for many years for is the subtitle compensation settings, I really hope to be seeing them soon.

We're thinking of buying a bedroom tv and I had totally given up the hope on LG and was planning to buy a Samsung, but now I might reconsider 🙂

Ronstang

@Malmgren

I thought I wanted an LG, but after reading lots on this issue it is getting harder to decide.  The competing models for Samsung and LG are confusing and hard to compare.  They each have their pros and cons.  Samsungs have better contrast ration but LGs have better viewing angle and response time.  What is making this a really hard task now is doing more research makes it even harder as I now have discovered 24p judder.....which is something I have noticed and thought it was my content but it turns out it is the TV itself.  

It is harder to find a Samsung TV that actually scores a 10 on 24p judder which means the TV corrects for it in all four cases....Judder free in 24p, via 60p, via 60i, and via native apps.  The if you use a Firestick or other streaming device this becomes important for 60p, if you use cable or satellite it is important for 60i.  LG is much better about having lower end TVs that are judder free in all four....but they don't have as good of picture quality due to the lack of contrast ratio......

The only saving grace for me is I want a 50 inch TV for the officer here and in that case the LG50UP8000 actually uses a VA instead of the IPS panel so it should perform closer to the Samsung in picture quality due to higher contrast ratio with a better processor that controls things like judder.

I think I will buy one tomorrow and try it out.  The magic remote is almost enough reason for the LG.

David Patt
1 minute ago, Ronstang said:

@Malmgren

I thought I wanted an LG, but after reading lots on this issue it is getting harder to decide.  The competing models for Samsung and LG are confusing and hard to compare.  They each have their pros and cons.  Samsungs have better contrast ration but LGs have better viewing angle and response time.  What is making this a really hard task now is doing more research makes it even harder as I now have discovered 24p judder.....which is something I have noticed and thought it was my content but it turns out it is the TV itself.  

It is harder to find a Samsung TV that actually scores a 10 on 24p judder which means the TV corrects for it in all four cases....Judder free in 24p, via 60p, via 60i, and via native apps.  The if you use a Firestick or other streaming device this becomes important for 60p, if you use cable or satellite it is important for 60i.  LG is much better about having lower end TVs that are judder free in all four....but they don't have as good of picture quality due to the lack of contrast ratio......

The only saving grace for me is I want a 50 inch TV for the officer here and in that case the LG50UP8000 actually uses a VA instead of the IPS panel so it should perform closer to the Samsung in picture quality due to higher contrast ratio with a better processor that controls things like judder.

I think I will buy one tomorrow and try it out.  The magic remote is almost enough reason for the LG.

Have similar problem. Now I have Sony Bravia and i am satisfied. Just suggestion.

Ronstang
1 minute ago, David Patt said:

Have similar problem. Now I have Sony Bravia and i am satisfied. Just suggestion.

Which Sony Bravia?  That is my problem too.  I have two older Bravias, both 4k that are almost 8 years old.....but their picture quality is still hard to beat.  The Sony 1080P TV that just died in my office also had a fantastic picture and I am having a hard time replacing it with a 4K TV because there is so much variance.  I am not a fan of Samsungs for the most part because to me they always look oversaturated and too bright.  I would like to not break the bank because I am spending so much on Xmas but I would rather spend more on something I plan to keep till it dies.  I'm hoping the fact that the UP8000 has a VA panel will make it a better choice at a decent price point.  I don't need this TV to be home theater quality but would like it to be as nice as possible....but I'm not spending a grand or more to get it.

David Patt
5 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

Which Sony Bravia?  That is my problem too.  I have two older Bravias, both 4k that are almost 8 years old.....but their picture quality is still hard to beat.  The Sony 1080P TV that just died in my office also had a fantastic picture and I am having a hard time replacing it with a 4K TV because there is so much variance.  I am not a fan of Samsungs for the most part because to me they always look oversaturated and too bright.  I would like to not break the bank because I am spending so much on Xmas but I would rather spend more on something I plan to keep till it dies.  I'm hoping the fact that the UP8000 has a VA panel will make it a better choice at a decent price point.  I don't need this TV to be home theater quality but would like it to be as nice as possible....but I'm not spending a grand or more to get it.

XF9005 (x900f in some regions) , yes it is older model but great picture , hdr is excellent , upsampling from sub hd resolution is superb. Bad thing is you cant buy it anymore i guess.

Ronstang

Wow....the XF9005 is a fantastic TV according to the ratings.  I would actually pony up for that kind of quality but it is no longer available.  But it has been replaced by a newer model.  I will look into those.  Thanks.....I may spend a grand on a SONY....LOL

Ronstang

The SONY X90J is also a fantastic TV...but it has an Apple OS....does this TV have an emby app available?  

Malmgren
50 minutes ago, David Patt said:

Well, I actually practically only use my tv for Emby and I don't want to fiddle with any external stuff, so a tv with Emby support is crucial. So it's down to LG or Samsung. And up to yesterday I thought LG was not going to get any more apps, but maybe the tide is turning. Assuming the app really IS being developed further than the version that was released now which feels like it's years beyond other Emby apps. So I guess I'll be holding my breath for now...

rbjtech

If you need to keep the keep emby internal - then I would look at Sony and Panasonic - both have now moved to AndroidTV/OS.  

For a 'main' TV, personally, the decision to buy a TV should not be based on what software it can run - but on the build quality/Panel/technology, picture processing CPU, black levels, Connectivity etc and what real AV features it has (scaling etc).  If a TV lasts lets say 10 years, do you really think that the current TV's are going to complete with a $50 HDMI stick with all the latest Codec's etc.  Taking AV1 as an example, when (if?) it becomes the standard, then it's going to mean the majority of TV's made before 2020 cannot play it because the internal hardware is not available ...    

As an example, I have and still daily use a 12 year old Panasonic TH-46PZ81B Plasma - It's 'apps' (at the time) are long gone, infact it just about had Ethernet, but with an HDMI stick, 1080p content still looks STUNNING - on par with LG OLED for sure in terms of PQ.  The build quality and 'Core' features of the set have made it last - in those 12 years, I've probably gone through 3 or 4  Samsung LED TV's because the panels/screens failed ...

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, Ronstang said:

The SONY X90J is also a fantastic TV...but it has an Apple OS

I seriously doubt any Sony has Apple OS, likely it has Google TV (Android TV) with AirPlay as an additional feature.

• Agree 2

Malmgren
25 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

If you need to keep the keep emby internal - then I would look at Sony and Panasonic - both have now moved to AndroidTV/OS.  

Oh! I thought Samsung and LG were the only smart tvs supported, I had completely missed the Android TV option. I feel kinda stupid now, but an entire world just opened. Thanks a lot!

unisoft
6 hours ago, Ronstang said:

Wow! I complain and and 12 hours later the app is released.....I am not really happy with this TV for a couple reasons and I want to take it back and upgrade but now I find the feature most important to me is the 24p judder handling and I need it to work in all 4 cases and I was going to bite the bullet and buy a C1 OLED instead....only to find out about image burn in which means I can never own an Oled as I watch too many stations with logos or static screen content.  Now I have to find a better TV than this LG but not an OLED....it never ends

With the OLEDs since 2018, image burn is less of an issue if you dont have stupidly high contrast/brightness and you ahve enabled the screen saver and the additional option to move the screen a by a few pixels every so often on static images.

I have a C6V which is a 2016 designed model sold in 2017 (UK) and this was the most likely to suffer from screen burn. Its now 2021 as my main television, and it doesn;t have a trace of burin-in from logos or any patterning on a grey screen test. Having said that, I wouldnt have any channel where the logo was very bright white or coloured (including news channels) for more than 6 hours at a time.

Newer models released post my model are much better than mine.

unisoft
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

For a 'main' TV, personally, the decision to buy a TV should not be based on what software it can run - but on the build quality/Panel/technology, picture processing CPU, black levels, Connectivity etc and what real AV features it has (scaling etc).  If a TV lasts lets say 10 years, do you really think that the current TV's are going to complete with a $50 HDMI stick with all the latest Codec's etc.  Taking AV1 as an example, when (if?) it becomes the standard, then it's going to mean the majority of TV's made before 2020 cannot play it because the internal hardware is not available ...    

As an example, I have and still daily use a 12 year old Panasonic TH-46PZ81B Plasma - It's 'apps' (at the time) are long gone, infact it just about had Ethernet, but with an HDMI stick, 1080p content still looks STUNNING - on par with LG OLED for sure in terms of PQ.  The build quality and 'Core' features of the set have made it last - in those 12 years, I've probably gone through 3 or 4  Samsung LED TV's because the panels/screens failed ...

And boy would I LOVE to move to Sony. But EBR is insistant on not porting the code from standard android Emby to Android TV Emby for the horizontal view. For this reason all the LG televisions in our family (parents included) are unable to transition away from LG at this point. We all prefer horizontal theme but prefer vertical on mobiles and tablets. In short, the devs should just support those 2 views/themes for customer choice seeing as they dont support a number of themes anyway....There are a number of reasons why Horizontal theme works best for us, as there are many niggles in vertical we dont like when using a TV as the viewing device, its simply cleaner UI in horizontal view without menu headings that are irrelevant because Emby changed the way they display that stuff is shown...too much to get into on thos one in this message...

Edited by unisoft
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, unisoft said:

Can't see why you drag your feet as porting shouldn't be difficult to the native Android TV app.

Because your analysis is incorrect :).  It would take significant effort for very little benefit (most people do not want this type of interface at this point).  But, again, we've already told you how to get basically the exact same interface you have in the LG app on an Android TV device - just use the standard Android app.  So that makes it make even less sense to spend time with this in the other app.

Ronstang
5 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

I seriously doubt any Sony has Apple OS, likely it has Google TV (Android TV) with AirPlay as an additional feature.

You are correct, I made a mistake of reading too fast.  By last night I had looked at so many TV online for info and have been shopping in store to see what is available and all I saw was two crApple features at the top of the list so I inferred incorrectly.

5 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I don't need to keep it internal, I have 5 Firestick 4Ks and am very happy with them.  Common interface so the kids and woman don't get confused and they play all my content natively so no transcoding.  The problem lies with 24p judder and if the TV can remove it or not.  I recently found out all my recorded TV movies are not interlaced....but telecined and 2:3 pulldown is different than regular interlacing and if you simply de-interlace with ffmpeg you get a file that appears and reports to be progressive but it is still 29.97 fps so there are extra frames that are repeated so you can end up with a jerky playing video...which is how I discovered this issue.

When I run ffmpeg to IVTC (inverse telecine) it removes the extra frames that are repeated so the videos are all 24 fps now, as they were originally filmed.  Here is where another problem can arise.  On TVs that have a refresh rate of 60hz you get 24p judder as 24 fps does not divide into 60 evenly....it does in a TV with 120hz refresh rate though.  To combat this some TVs have a feature to remove the judder but there are 4 cases....24p (dvds and BRs), 60p (streaming devices like the firestick), 60i (cable and satellite boxes) and native apps (playing netflix from the TV itself)

Many TVs can handle cases 1 and 4 but mostly high end TVs handle all four cases.  Some Samsungs do NONE.  That is why my TV search got more complicated yesterday when I learned about the judder.....and it explains what I see even watching TV.  I have cable and Firesticks, so even if the TV supports 24p judder removal natively it does not on my cable box or my firesticks if I decide to run them for continuity.

Edited by Ronstang

unisoft
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Because your analysis is incorrect :).  It would take significant effort for very little benefit (most people do not want this type of interface at this point).  But, again, we've already told you how to get basically the exact same interface you have in the LG app on an Android TV device - just use the standard Android app.  So that makes it make even less sense to spend time with this in the other app.

I don't know how you assume most people? Google TV uses horizontal as does Xbox and that is millions of people? 

I've been with Media Browser before Emby and that supported quite a few themes and you are saying you can't support two? You also previously refused a view option so that customers could keep previous behaviour of showing genres by artist with albums then shown. Basically the albums by an artist tagged in that genre. You changed it to blindly follow Spotify when you had it correct to start with. The family expect to go into GENRES then see a list of Artists then the albums and that is all decided by what is tagged for the genre. This is for Music, Music Videos and Audio books and another reason why these top menu options in vertical layout view don't work as you changed to GENRE > ALBUM.

The option was a simple extra menu option under view that could be sticky (remembered). It would have satisfied both types of user and not force one limited set of thinking on another. Inclusive.

*Frustrated* other customers ask for more significant changes and a lot seem to get delivered. I remember you quoted an analogy between a simple fire stick remote and a usual remote with more buttons. In reality, both Amazon and Apple remotes have more buttons on them now because they got it wrong originally :)

Edited by unisoft