Status on official LG app

jhs

unisoft
On 27/11/2021 at 18:55, CBers said:

Needs repeating for new people. 

I have an LG OLED TV and have a Shield connected to it. 

Reason is, the Shield is the best device for watching what I want to watch on my TV. 

Best TV and best playback device. 

Result? A happy Emby user. 

Thanks. 

I'd love to get a shield or even better, a Sony Google TV. Unfortunately, the emby Devs insist that the horizontal theme is not available or coming to it. Without this theme its dead in the water. LG does support this theme/view. 

Vertical is OK for tablet and mobile but prefer horizontal for TV. The vertical theme does look OK on the Apple TV client though as the GUI is in proportion properly and animation of library tile movement is good. On Roku its horrible. 

Edited by unisoft
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, unisoft said:

Without this theme its dead in the water. LG does support this theme/view. 

You can sideload the standard Android app on your Android TV device which will give you basically the exact same interface as the LG app.

6 minutes ago, unisoft said:

The vertical theme does look OK on the Apple TV client though as the GUI is in proportion properly. On Roku its horrible. 

What, exactly, does that mean?  The Roku and Android TV are virtually identical now and follow pretty much the same layout as Apple TV too.

• Like 1

unisoft
12 hours ago, ebr said:

You can sideload the standard Android app on your Android TV device which will give you basically the exact same interface as the LG app.

What, exactly, does that mean?  The Roku and Android TV are virtually identical now and follow pretty much the same layout as Apple TV too.

The ROKU app is no way as elegant as the Apple TV app???? The vertical theme home screen doesn't look bad on Apple TV - the library tiles are sized in proportion to the graphics below and your eyes are correctly drawn to the importance of the library tiles first. The animation and the way the tiles move is more polished and professional too. I could actually live with the Apple TV polished UI of the vertical theme.

I'm using the GA release of the Roku app, and the ROKU is generally (functionally) not bad, just the vertical UI is poor compared to say Apple TV or LG app. The big square frame around the selected item and very small spacing between items and continuous scrolling with no decent gaps to denote end of list and repeat of list when scrolling. I wonder if its a platform limitation though in which case it would explain it?

Emby doesn't have themes as such, so don't see why you can't simply support vertical and horizontal as 2 choices for users throughout the apps (at least the TV apps). It helps standardise the family across the TV's with same interface too.

I really was going to ditch the LG next year in favour of Google TV on a Sony but the Emby Vertical view only was stopping it. Even Google TV on the Sony uses a horizontal theme for Google's content display :)

I suppose I may have to look at side loading the normal android app. Just wondering if there are any "TV" specific settings that could be missing from that app or specific media player support that may only be on the TV app version as its normally meant for mobiles and tablets?

Edited by unisoft

9 hours ago, unisoft said:

I'm using the GA release of the Roku app, and the ROKU is generally (functionally) not bad, just the vertical UI is poor compared to say Apple TV or LG app. The big square frame around the selected item and very small spacing between items and continuous scrolling with no decent gaps to denote end of list and repeat of list when scrolling. I wonder if its a platform limitation though in which case it would explain it?

None of that is the case anymore in the beta.  It looks just like Android TV.

However, scrolling and animation fluidity is a function of the platform and the Roku's do tend to scroll pretty slowly.

9 hours ago, unisoft said:

Even Google TV on the Sony uses a horizontal theme for Google's content display

Exactly.  That is the current modern interface for pretty much every media platform out there.  What you are requesting was always specific to Microsoft and even they have abandoned it everywhere except the Xbox.

Ronstang

I am not familiar with this TV OS that much.  I have an LG that runs a version of this OS upstairs that I bought almost 2 years ago and I was able to install the emby app on and it plays all my content perfectly.  On this newer TV I can't even find the app.  I assume this OS is based on Apple TV.....I hate all things Apple so I suppose this is payback LOL!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  The downside to this TV is only 2 HDMI ports and I need one for my cable box and one for my Blu-Ray player since I in my office and sometimes need the player to peruse TV Show collections on disc to make sure I am naming them correctly in emby....so that means I cannot just plug in my Firestick and bypass all this BS.

Thanks

Edited by Ronstang
  • Like 1

Nostradamus1973

Good morning everyone,

Has anyone had a look at the following?

Root My TV:

https://github.com/RootMyTV/RootMyTV.github.io

https://github.com/webosbrew/webos-homebrew-channel

https://github.com/webosbrew/dev-manager-desktop

Looks like a *.ipk can be loaded via the device manager, however, if we could get one of the devs to submit the ipk to the HomeBrew Channel/Repository then this should be an easy alternative. No?

I know this is a little more than most people are willing to do, however going the SDK route would limit TV time(50hrs) and looks like it's a heavier lift to install.

IMHO this looks like it may do the trick, I'm just wondering if anyone had a go with it or not because every time the 2yr old Emby for LG app crashes I wanna vomit in my own mouth from the disgust.

Thx 🙂👍💪

Edited by Nostradamus1973
Needed to hammer a few points home... :)
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ronstang said:

I am not familiar with this TV OS that much.  I have an LG that runs a version of this OS upstairs that I bought almost 2 years ago and I was able to install the emby app on and it plays all my content perfectly.  On this newer TV I can't even find the app.  I assume this OS is based on Apple TV.....I hate all things Apple so I suppose this is payback LOL!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  The downside to this TV is only 2 HDMI ports and I need one for my cable box and one for my Blu-Ray player since I in my office and sometimes need the player to peruse TV Show collections on disc to make sure I am naming them correctly in emby....so that means I cannot just plug in my Firestick and bypass all this BS.

Thanks

Hi.  The app  has not been approved for the newer TV models yet.  We are working on it.

HolyGigi

That's such a disingenuous way of stating the truth. 

The app has last been updated 2 years ago. So, the use of "yet" in that sentence is either a mistake, or a deliberate attempt to mislead new users into thinking that any day now we'll get an app that works on LG TV's, just like the Emby homepage falsely indicates. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Spocks_Logic
39 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The app  has not been approved for the newer TV models yet.  We are working on it.

Are you able to share why it isn't passing the LG requirements? It's really interesting as on the C1 series they have a lot of questionable apps on it that have somehow been approved. I made the switch to EMBY a year ago from Plex (only was paying Annually as I wasn't sure) and I very quickly snagged the life time subscription.

1 hour ago, Spocks_Logic said:

Are you able to share why it isn't passing the LG requirements? It's really interesting as on the C1 series they have a lot of questionable apps on it that have somehow been approved. I made the switch to EMBY a year ago from Plex (only was paying Annually as I wasn't sure) and I very quickly snagged the life time subscription.

I have multiple times in this thread.  Even if some users decide not to believe it here are the reasons in a nutshell:

1.  They and their testers have no idea what we are or how we are supposed to work.  Add a language barrier in many cases to that and getting them to properly test the system is quite difficult.
  2. They have so many different models and versions of TVs and OSes it is impossible for us to test each of them, but they do, and any tiny thing they find will cause a rejection
  3. They have an onerous approval system where, if your app is rejected 3-5 times, then it will not be re-tested for approval for a period of 3 months.

We have been caught in that stupid loop forever it seems.

• Like 4

xdwarfx

Thanks EBR for clarifying.

Perhaps in that case it would be interesting to seek a company who develops apps for LG and work through them, to be able to have a steady stream of updates?

Im not in the software business but if that is possible, it would greatly improve the amount of users of Emby. Same with Samsung...

Spocks_Logic
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I have multiple times in this thread.  Even if some users decide not to believe it here are the reasons in a nutshell:

1.  They and their testers have no idea what we are or how we are supposed to work.  Add a language barrier in many cases to that and getting them to properly test the system is quite difficult.
  2. They have so many different models and versions of TVs and OSes it is impossible for us to test each of them, but they do, and any tiny thing they find will cause a rejection
  3. They have an onerous approval system where, if your app is rejected 3-5 times, then it will not be re-tested for approval for a period of 3 months.

We have been caught in that stupid loop forever it seems.

EBR - thank you, I know that it has been indicated previously in this thread over the last 2 years, I was just interested if it was the same issue(s) or not. Is there anything that paying subscribers can do or a contact to LG to reach out too for LG to take this more seriously?

Ronstang

Then PLEASE put a sticky in the GENERAL server forum telling people about this and to avoid LG TVs if they care about emby.  I only bought these pieces of junk because I have an LG I really like that is running emby perfectly so I made the false assumption these TVs would also.  If LG is that difficult to deal with then everyone needs to know to avoid their products.

• Like 1

Nostradamus1973

Holy Macaroni Batman....I'm elated!!!😂

I'm going to check it out on my TV(and blog) shortly just to make sure I'm not having a psychotic break because this moment is way to surreal for me.

Thanks for the great news Luke👍, now I can focus on my other post in the Live TV forum, progress never sleeps, but I'll take the HUGE Win for now.🥳

rbjtech
35 minutes ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

Holy Macaroni Batman....I'm elated!!!😂

I'm going to check it out on my TV(and blog) shortly just to make sure I'm not having a psychotic break because this moment is way to surreal for me.

Thanks for the great news Luke👍, now I can focus on my other post in the Live TV forum, progress never sleeps, but I'll take the HUGE Win for now.🥳

🤣

I don't even use this client now - but I'm gonna install it just because I can ! ... 

165182164_20211216_105721(Medium).jpg.d28affa94f0d6a18ab893e6174b0c819.jpg

1239130893_20211216_105756(Medium).jpg.719073eb85e2dfd672b4444629bef6e3.jpg

2087790143_20211216_105842(Medium).jpg.194cf026750d8e511b468c80419cc930.jpg

Yay !!!

Edited by rbjtech

Nostradamus1973

Well, I take that back, it's a win with a lower case "w", and I think there's a huge disconnect I'm having at the moment.

For starters(and I've only used the app for about 20 minutes):

Live TV is buggy, interface is sluggish and not responding like the previous old and dilapidated Emby-for-LG version I've been using, so, there's no improvement there, and I THOUGHT this update was going to follow the "Flow" of Android TV with the Live TV Guide available at the bottom of the screen(while watching any streams) along with other options on the bottom. Also, the live TV bar is blank at times if/when there's no guide info which looks pretty strange compared to previous version. On top of that, the Theme sounds are still not working like the other  platforms Emby runs on.

My big question is this:

Is this the SAME update that was filed 2 yrs ago? Because this mess I'm looking at is completely disappointing with features and etc.

I hate to say this, if this is what we can expect in the future as far as delayed updates and etc from LG, I think we need to revisit the whole TV-Rooting/Homebrew-repo where we can have updates within hours not years.

Devs, PUH-LEEZE tell me this is not what we are going to settle with, Emby excels in so many areas and platforms since I've been using it, THIS is not one of those moments, given that the other apps look and perform well I have to say this problem persists because LG has some issues with Emby, of course we have tons of posts theorizing the reason why LG is slow with releasing Emby vs other apps, but it won't change the fact that the submission process is beyond slow, deliberate or not. I know the Emby devs have a certain sense of pride and this has to be bothering them.

I'd like to see a Fork, maybe continue this song and dance with LG to keep submitting apps officially and the other prong where some devs offer us updates through the Homebrew Repo.

Adding a 4K device to my 4K LG TV isn't gonna work because my AVR is 1080p and I use ARC...yada...yada...yada..

rbjtech

I guess lets wait for the official Release info to see what has been included - but I highly suspect this is a 'release' from a significant time ago and thus 'old' by comparison to the current Apps.  

I think the key functionality that is now included is DTS being transcoded to DD (as LG TV's newer than 2018 no longer have DTS) and LG TV's newer than 2020/2021 actually being able to load the Application at all.    If both of those are now available - then I think it's a worthy update for those where this is a problem.  I'm unable to test for these conditions, as my C8 has DTS and being a 2018 TV I can obviously load the App.

tbh, I tested it for 15 seconds - I played a 4K DV, it played it as HDR - at that point I closed it and remembered why I abandoned it 2 years ago for the Android client... 🙄

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
42 minutes ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

Adding a 4K device to my 4K LG TV isn't gonna work because my AVR is 1080p and I use ARC...yada...yada...yada..

You will never get HD Audio out of the internal LG App anyway - connecting a Shield Pro directly to your LG will give you 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision and all the non HD Audio codecs via ARC - PCM, DD,DTS etc assuming your AVR can decode these  ?

Edited by rbjtech

Nostradamus1973

@rbjtech Damn nice to see you're still kicking around here in this thread, you always add some levity to my Emby stress and I thank you for that, your glass-half-full approach sheds a nice light on this situation.
You are right, the DTS conversion is a very nice feature and also the original reason for me joining this thread. I did test it a few minutes ago and I can finally watch a few encodes that have DTS.

So, I was wondering that exact same thing about adding a 4K device to my TV and then using ARC, I was told by someone that they were unable to use their ARC out on their TV unless it was paired internally with an application(within the TV OS), I didn't test it on my TV, but, I will SOON. I'll have to look and see if it handles pass-through, however, my AVR(Pioneer SC-1222-K) doesn't seem to decode AAC despite claiming it can, where the LG OS mux's them into AC3.

Sometimes I can be stubborn because I just want my "stuff" to work, I think I need to start accepting defeat, cut my losses and move on like you have done, if I can get ARC to play nice I'm outta this thread like a bad habit for my own sanity's sake.

I think I will try one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Stream-4K-Streaming-Plug/dp/B089655HQV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=4K+tivo+stream&qid=1639658193&sr=8-2

I've set up a few of my Emby users with that TiVo device and it's pretty solid for the price and quite feature rich. Thanks for bringing that up, I'm going to bite-the-bullet and try one out.😁👍

I'll keep you posted on my endeavor.

Thx @rbjtech

• Like 1

rbjtech
41 minutes ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

I'll keep you posted on my endeavour.

I'm not familiar with the Tivo device - but as it's AndroidTV based - I'm assuming it can run the AndroidTV Emby Client ?  It's looks like a capable device - it even has DV (but not sure what profiles).   You may find it has some tricks to convert AAC into something your AVR can use.

My recommendation is to get a Shield Pro - as this simply plays anything you throw at it (incl full remux 4K from UHD Media) and continues to be fully supported by Android for the foreseeable future. (but they are $ ..)

When connecting to your Amp (Nice Amp btw!) - Just remember to use the specific TV 'ARC' HDMI Port - I think only one of them will pass ARC, so be sure to use the right one. !

Edited by rbjtech

He instalado la actualización v1.0.31 y tengo un gran disgusto porque la anterior la v1.0.24 tenia mi biblioteca  de música ordenada por carpetas, por grupos de música y en esta nueva versión no aparece la opción de carpetas, si pulsamos en la pantalla de inicio en música si se puede activar la opción de carpetas, pero en la pantalla donde esta la música que me aparece una pestaña donde dice "OBTENER EMBY PREMIERE" y no da opciones a colocar por carpetas, lo cual significa que es imposible encontrar las discografías musicales de los grupos ordenadas, esto en la versión anterior era perfecto. Adjunto fotografías de las diferencias entre las dos versiones ya que tengo dos Tv lg y cada una tiene una versión y desde luego no tengo intención de actualizar a la nueva versión si no se corrige este problema. Como podeis observar en las fotografías la opción de carpetas en este menú no existe y si pulsas vas a la pantalla de "OBTENER EMBY PREMIERE". Decirme si es posible volver a instalar la versión anterior de alguna manera. Gracias, espero una pronta respuesta ya que ahora es un completo desorden mi música sin la opción de carpetas activada. 

20211216_194412.jpg

20211216_194438.jpg

20211216_194458.jpg

20211216_194520.jpg

20211216_194941.jpg

Edited by boss63
actualización v1.0.31