Status on official LG app

jhs

Hi,

I've been noticing changes in the YouTube LG App without the TV actually asking to install an update so in the YouTube app I went to the Settings/About/App version and realized that there it states the version is: web_20210803_10_RC00, pay attention to the version that it has a date in it... while in the LG Content Store the YouTube app says it was updated 23/07/2021.

I think this might be a solution to the Emby app LG approval problem... make an Emby app that is just like "a skeleton", and within that skeleton pull the updates, the code or the build what makes the app transparently from the Emby Server, just like YouTube is apparently doing.

YouTube App and Lg Content Store pictures attached.

20210807_123659.jpg

20210807_123634.jpg

Edited by K-O-K
pictures uploaded
  • Agree 1

SamES

That’s the difference between a hosted web app (ie: your Netflix example, which downloads the app from the server, possibly on every launch) and a packaged app which gets installed directly on your tv. 

While a hosted web app seems like an appealing option given the current delays, it has limitations which in normal circumstances are not ideal. At the very least it requires an internet connection to load and run as the app is not cached on the TV. That’s fine for Netflix as all their content is in the internet, but for many Emby users their content is local and may not want to be dependent on a constant internet connection.  

Nostradamus1973

Well, I've been disgusted with LG for months now, their lackadaisical attitude AND stealthy discriminatory actions towards Emby is palpable.

Would someone be able to point me to a thread/tutorial that explains how to side-load the latest stable revision of the Emby app for LG WebOS?

I'm tired of fulfilling the definition of insanity by expecting different results with no change in our course-of-action, this madness has to stop because it's seriously messing with my "Happy Place."

I know many of the Emby members are still holding out for an official release and I totally understand why you are doing so and I commend that. For my own sanity I can't let this situation rent out any more space in my head.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by Nostradamus1973
Punctuation
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SamES said:

At the very least it requires an internet connection to load and run as the app is not cached on the TV.

You're right, that's why I said to pull the rest of the app from the Emby Server, meaning your Emby Server, the one you control and must be reachable from your TV to serve your content.

• Agree 2

SamES
18 minutes ago, K-O-K said:

You're right, that's why I said to pull the rest of the app from the Emby Server, meaning your Emby Server, the one you control and must be reachable from your TV to serve your content.

I believe it's only possible to pull the app from an internet based server, not local.  You still have to deploy a basic app to the store which has a hard-coded hostname to download the app.

macnb
On 08/08/2021 at 00:29, SamES said:

That’s the difference between a hosted web app (ie: your Netflix example, which downloads the app from the server, possibly on every launch) and a packaged app which gets installed directly on your tv. 

While a hosted web app seems like an appealing option given the current delays, it has limitations which in normal circumstances are not ideal. At the very least it requires an internet connection to load and run as the app is not cached on the TV. That’s fine for Netflix as all their content is in the internet, but for many Emby users their content is local and may not want to be dependent on a constant internet connection.  

Great to hear from you on this topic.

Thanks for telling us what CANNOT be done.

Can you please tell us what CAN be done ?

I think many Emby supporters will be looking to Emby for some leadership to move forward.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

SamES

Unfortunately I can only give you context, reason and opinion on your suggestions.  We are listening, and if it was easy it would be done.  Unfortunately, as Luke as explained, our options are somewhat limited, and those are beyond my control.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered an G1 and understand that the app is not in the store yet.

Just wondering, if it's possible to side load it like we do with the APK on Android?

7 minutes ago, neik said:

I just ordered an G1 and understand that the app is not in the store yet.

Just wondering, if it's possible to side load it like we do with the APK on Android?

No, unfortunately that is not possible.

• Thanks 1

My LG TV just updated. Does the Emby app have to go through another round of testing/verification with every tv update, delaying it even further?

• 4 weeks later...
Daicon
56 minutes ago, ASMITH84 said:

Welcome october! Any news?

None, nor is it expected.

It seems to me that we are definitely running out of emby updates.
Dep.

• Sad 1

e2zippo

I never realized Emby and LG had these problems before buying an LG TV a couple of weeks back.

It's kinda sad and I haven't followed the story from the beginning so I'm not sure what to make of it.

I've ordered an Odroid N2+ and will run Coreelec with Emby's Kodi plugin, so I don't really care anymore, still sad about the current state of it all though.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Daicon said:

Hello?

:(

Hi, we are working on getting an update for this app released. Thanks.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we are working on getting an update for this app released. Thanks.

Luke, it is commendable that you are still regularly replying to posts and I believe people here appreciate the fact that Emby doesn't simply ignore the thread. Still, after 19 months of being told you are waiting for LG to approve the update, it is difficult to buy into the narrative. "We are working on the update but LG won't let us" is not a sufficient answer any longer. I remember installing an absolutely awful application 7-8 month ago called AdriaTelekom. Terrible glitchy interface, crashing every few minutes. I didn't remove it right away and what do you know, it received an update a few days later (not that it made it any better). I looked it up it just now, it had the most recent release yesterday. Can you please explain to me how is it that they are getting past the rigorous LG testing who knows how many times, yet Emby is still unable to do it once after 18 months?! And no, they are not a hosted web app.

No offense but I don't think at this point a single person here buys the story about LG holding things back. We would all prefer if you would just level with us. If Emby doesn't intent to support the webOS any longer, so be it. Be straight with us and save us the trouble of coming back to this thread every so often. I still find the Emby setup (when it comes to QNAP / LG) better then anything else out there, updated or not and will still appreciate the effort that went into building and supporting it. Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

12 minutes ago, senad said:

Luke, it is commendable that you are still regularly replying to posts and I believe people here appreciate the fact that Emby doesn't simply ignore the thread. Still, after 19 months of being told you are waiting for LG to approve the update, it is difficult to buy into the narrative. "We are working on the update but LG won't let us" is not a sufficient answer any longer. I remember installing an absolutely awful application 7-8 month ago called AdriaTelekom. Terrible glitchy interface, crashing every few minutes. I didn't remove it right away and what do you know, it received an update a few days later (not that it made it any better). I looked it up it just now, it had the most recent release yesterday. Can you please explain to me how is it that they are getting past the rigorous LG testing who knows how many times, yet Emby is still unable to do it once after 18 months?! And no, they are not a hosted web app.

No offense but I don't think at this point a single person here buys the story about LG holding things back. We would all prefer if you would just level with us. If Emby doesn't intent to support the webOS any longer, so be it. Be straight with us and save us the trouble of coming back to this thread every so often. I still find the Emby setup (when it comes to QNAP / LG) better then anything else out there, updated or not and will still appreciate the effort that went into building and supporting it. Thank you.

+1

We just wanna know what the issue is, we don't need specifics but getting a sense of what is going on.
Sorry, but it's ridiculous that the top notch LG TV's (probably best OLED's out there) do not have direct Emby support.
This must be frustrating for you guys as well, just share a bit with us so we understand what is going wrong. 😉 

@SamES, if I see this correctly you are developing (or at least part of the team) this app, just wondering if development is still ongoing besides the release issue?

On 8/6/2020 at 5:33 PM, Luke said:

Yes we're in process of submitting. Thanks.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:00 PM, Luke said:

We have an update in review with LG.

On 3/14/2021 at 10:20 PM, Luke said:

LG generally takes about 4-6 weeks to review (which is fine), however, they will fail submissions for the most minor of reasons - for example, imagine a minor defect that only occurs on one model year, that sort of thing. And other times they won't take the time to understand how things work and they'll fail the submission because they think something isn't working. On top of that they also have a policy that after a certain number of consecutive rejections, they will remove your app from the store altogether. So it's that threat that makes it a stressful and delicate process and it is the primary reason why there are sometimes gaps in updates. But I an assure, we are working on it.

On 3/31/2021 at 11:02 PM, SamES said:

No, as soon as LG release it

On 4/24/2021 at 3:18 AM, Luke said:

The border will be a little thinner following the next app update.

On 4/28/2021 at 2:05 AM, SamES said:

It will be available when the next version is released

Yap....

On 10/19/2021 at 3:17 AM, neik said:

We just wanna know what the issue is, we don't need specifics but getting a sense of what is going on.

We have provided this a number of times.

1 hour ago, Daicon said:

LG generally takes about 4-6 weeks to review (which is fine), however, they will fail submissions for the most minor of reasons - for example, imagine a minor defect that only occurs on one model year, that sort of thing. And other times they won't take the time to understand how things work and they'll fail the submission because they think something isn't working. On top of that they also have a policy that after a certain number of consecutive rejections, they will remove your app from the store altogether. So it's that threat that makes it a stressful and delicate process and it is the primary reason why there are sometimes gaps in updates. But I an assure, we are working on it.

(that's actually a quote from Luke)

If we take the wrong step you won't have the app at all.  Believe us - this is more frustrating for us than it is you :).

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ebr said:

We have provided this a number of times.

(that's actually a quote from Luke)

If we take the wrong step you won't have the app at all.  Believe us - this is more frustrating for us than it is you :).

After one year?

One year?

Are you telling me that in 1 year you haven't had time to test the new app update?

Come on ....

Besides, it's a lie what you say, or someone has lied to you.

There are comments from Sam or Luke, saying that the app was already under review.

I mean, either you've already been banned for life from LG and don't want to say it, or the app has never been in review for a year and you don't want to say why.... Which is more likely

Edited by Daicon

veehexx1

ive only just caught on to this thread since i've been having some long standing bugs on my 2019-2020 model. it's a cheap 32" used in a bedroom so very much tertiary-tier in my home.

theres clearly a lot of frustration from various angles, and tbh while webOS is a supported platform, the way LG handle updates sounds poor and a big void between expectation and reality.

like others i bought LG and into emby because they provided a native app. If i knew the reality of updates with LG apps then i've of gone a different route and thats (based on the dev responses here) squarely on LG. Based on people using app availability and the expectation its frequently updated till they stumble on this thread, and until the issues are resolved, a caveat should be placed on the download page to notify potential users of limitations outside of Embys control. Like i say, it certainly would've swayed my route on what TV i'd 've purchased.

now the question is do i buy another sheild, or upgrade my primary tv and repurpose my current shield to this LG to actually get a stable experience.

• 2 weeks later...