Status on official LG app

jhs

goenngoenn
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I did not recommend buying a Shield.  I simply asked why they didn't want to use it.  Their answers were valid.

I actually think he's trolling. Atleast I did not think you meant it as an recommendation and of course it was valid to ask why anyone would use the WebOS over my 2017 Shield.

You got me an idea actually that I might hook up the shield and check if there's an autostart application so it will always start emby wenn booting. That way is would still be a single menu choice, choosing the shield input which I could name emby, so even my wife finds it.

But that's offtopic. 

Although that's definitely my favored choice before I'm getting orange ;)

neik
16 minutes ago, goenngoenn said:

You got me an idea actually that I might hook up the shield and check if there's an autostart application so it will always start emby wenn booting

There is: Llama 

It is quite old though so there might be something more modern out there.

Nostradamus1973

Let me offer a different perspective for all of you to ponder.....

I've been following this convo just in case there's a eureka moment where LG decides that's it's finally time to push an update. It upsets me to think that LG has completely left the Emby Community in the wind; I STILL feel strongly that we need an operative within LG to advocate for us. I'm not sure where the Emby Legal Department stands on the matter, however, throwing a few Emby Premiere Subs at some LG WebOS developer's/staff  might be something that brings them onto Team-Emby.

Furthermore, it looks like all conventional means have been exhausted and now it may be time to start trying unconventional methods.  We keep hoping and wishing that someone will listen to our issues, BUT, it behooves them(LG) not to, we are being maligned, mistreated, and quite possibly discriminated against by LG(You get where I'm going with this??).  Maybe Emby's legal team could bring a law suit, just the mere filing would require LG to respond; I would imagine Emby has a lawyer or two on retainer and this might be the fight we need to be in.

We've been doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, we are fulfilling the definition of insanity....Anyone with me on this one?

And there's one more thing I'd like to note; I'm aware of the frustration that the Emby User's have with the Emby Staff, they are the people we come to when we have problems and they typically get those problems fixed within a timely fashion, and whenever something doesn't get fixed or attended to, we keep asking them to until there's an acceptable resolution, in this case, there isn't. I can tell you with assurity that the staff is comprised of individuals who are TRULY dedicated to helping the Emby community, so, any in-fighting with them would be counterproductive, especially when many of them are volunteer's and obviously end-user's themselves. I've been part of other software endeavor's that I've paid more than my Emby Premiere subscription cost me and gotten nothing from those said dev's and moderator's. I'm not trying to come to ebr's or Luke's defense as I know they are more than capable of handling themselves, what I'm trying to say here is we need solidarity with this cause and going at them is not the way.

So, IMHO, I feel we need to be united, formulate an unconventional plan, and implement it. I know some of the things I mentioned might not fit neatly in any of the boxes we've been trying to fill, but, it's time to change our tact and bring our fight to LG and not within the Emby community.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox. Does this resonate with anyone? If not, maybe this repetitive BS with LG has truly driven me insane and I need a padded room and one of those fancy white jacket's that everyone tries to get out of.

Edited by Nostradamus1973
Grammatical error

macnb
3 hours ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

I've been following this convo just in case there's a eureka moment where LG decides that's it's finally time to push an update. It upsets me to think that LG has completely left the Emby Community in the wind; I STILL feel strongly that we need an operative within LG to advocate for us. I'm not sure where the Emby Legal Department stands on the matter, however, throwing a few Emby Premiere Subs at some LG WebOS developer's/staff  might be something that brings them onto Team-Emby.

Furthermore, it looks like all conventional means have been exhausted and now it may be time to start trying unconventional methods.  We keep hoping and wishing that someone will listen to our issues, BUT, it behooves them(LG) not to, we are being maligned, mistreated, and quite possibly discriminated against by LG(You get where I'm going with this??).  Maybe Emby's legal team could bring a law suit, just the mere filing would require LG to respond; I would imagine Emby has a lawyer or two on retainer and this might be the fight we need to be in.

We've been doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results, we are fulfilling the definition of insanity....Anyone with me on this one?

And there's one more thing I'd like to note; I'm aware of the frustration that the Emby User's have with the Emby Staff, they are the people we come to when we have problems and they typically get those problems fixed within a timely fashion, and whenever something doesn't get fixed or attended to, we keep asking them to until there's an acceptable resolution, in this case, there isn't. I can tell you with assurity that the staff is comprised of individuals who are TRULY dedicated to helping the Emby community, so, any in-fighting with them would be counterproductive, especially when many of them are volunteer's and obviously end-user's themselves. I've been part of other software endeavor's that I've paid more than my Emby Premiere subscription cost me and gotten nothing from those said dev's and moderator's. I'm not trying to come to ebr's or Luke's defense as I know they are more than capable of handling themselves, what I'm trying to say here is we need solidarity with this cause and going at them is not the way.

So, IMHO, I feel we need to be united, formulate an unconventional plan, and implement it. I know some of the things I mentioned might not fit neatly in any of the boxes we've been trying to fill, but, it's time to change our tact and bring our fight to LG and not within the Emby community.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox. Does this resonate with anyone? If not, maybe this repetitive BS with LG has truly driven me insane and I need a padded room and one of those fancy white jacket's that everyone tries to get out of.

What you seem to be missing is the fact that Emby themselves have NOT stated CLEARLY the problem they are having with LG.

Emby have NOT being transparent with us the Community.

You are assuming it's LG who is holding things up BUT what we have NOT seen is Emby telling us honestly why LG are delaying.

If there are legal issues, all Emby have to tell us is that "...we are in discussion with LG and for legal reasons we cannot discuss the matters on open forums".

That is, we (the community) cannot possibly help if we do not know the root cause of the problem between Emby and LG.

Edited by macnb
typo
  • Like 3

Daicon
16 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, sorry if it wasn't clear. He wasn't trying to recommend that you go out and buy a Shield. He was saying that to the user who happens to already have one. Like for example, I have pretty much every device on hand for testing, including a 2020 LG TV. Ignoring the Emby app for a moment, I would pretty much rather use any other device's menu system over that of LG, but that's just personal preference.

Yes, of course, if what you say is true.

But it is also true that the thread is not about that topic.
And of course, it is curious that when people are complaining and asking for months what is happening with emby in webos, they give "recommendations" to use another option....

People have been asking for months for a valid (or at least meaningful) explanation and more information about the reasons why we are the way we are.
If you are asked directly, you don't answer, and when someone comes complaining about having to use their SHIELD, there are replies from administrators asking why not to use SHIELD...

Anyway...
Trust isn't really being conveyed, frankly.

Yes, I'm sorry, I'm frustrated and disappointed.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Daicon
52 minutes ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

Another user has already answered you, but I reiterate in case it is not clear.

If the problem was the one you mentioned, I would give all the encouragement in the world to the EMBY team.
But the EMBY team has said nothing of the sort.

They are just withholding information and stretching the answers.

There is nothing official about what is going on, and the only thing that is clear, is that this is not a problem of revision of the application.

chef

Hey, check this out,

Web Engine

From webOS TV 3.0, webOS TV uses the Blink-based LG browser engine. The browser engine for the previous versions of webOS TV was based on WebKit. LG Web browser engine provides an app programming environment for content providers and aggregators. The following table shows web engine versions depending on webOS TV versions:

webOS TV Version

Release Year of webOS TV

Web Engine

webOS TV 6.x

Chromium 79

webOS TV 5.x

Chromium 68

webOS TV 4.x

2018~2019

Chromium 53

webOS TV 3.x

2016~2017

Chromium 38

webOS TV 2.x

WebKit 538.2

webOS TV 1.x

WebKit 537.41

• webOS TV v1.x and 2.x used WebKit as a web engine; however, the browser app of webOS TV v1.x and v2.x used Chromium. 

So.....all the tv is, is a glorified web browser? 😳 

Nostradamus1973

macnb and Daicon thanks for filling me in on what you're looking for, and making some very valid points, all of us LG users on this thread share in the same frustration that you do. My heart was in the right place when I said we should do this together instead of being divided. But, after reading what both of you said, maybe we need to break this down before we can build it up. You both have some valid points that should be addressed.

Asking for transparency isn't too much to ask for.

This is what I know from reading this thread, the Emby Dev team submitted the app to LG, it got kicked back for some reason and then it was resubmitted and accepted by LG, however, now we have to wait for LG to release it on their own end.

That's sounds pretty transparent to me, however, I think what you're seeking is proof, and that's a messy subject, questioning another person or persons integrity is a touchy thing. I think we certainly have the right to ask, however, this should be done with dignity and poise. Simply throwing around statements that they are hiding things and being disingenuous isn't going to get us anywhere, let's ask them specific questions for your proof you seek.

Let's ask a direct question.

I think what your looking for is rejection letters, correspondence, and submission paperwork, however, that might be prohibited by Emby Legal. I'd say join the submission team, but then you'd be subjected to the same gag-order IF one existed.

Luke, ebr, and chef: Can we please see any of those documents? Maybe redact impertinent and sensitive information?

Edited by Nostradamus1973
repetative use of a word
  • Like 1

chef

I don't have access to that stuff. But since I have an LG with WebOS, I'm in a position to help in anyway I can. 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech

I'm one of the lucky ones who's LG App is still working - but in all honesty, I have given up on the App and moved on about a year ago and rarely use it now.  With the magic remote, my personal view is it is (was) still superior to the current Android App in pure navigation (point and click) but of course it is now missing many bells and whistles the Android App has.

Again, my personal view is they should remove it as a 'supported' app - or at the very least clearly state this when it is installed and on the 'apps' page on the website (along with a 'this is not supported on 2021 LG TV's ...).

18 Months without an update on any software means it is no longer in active development - it may 'work' but you take your chances with it, and I agree Emby should be transparent about this.  I would much rather they say development is 'on hold due to circumstances outside of their control' rather than 'it's in the pipeline, repeated' for 18 Months. 

LG are not that slow - I've had multiple updates from many other apps in those 18 months.. 

• Like 2

macnb
32 minutes ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

macnb and Daicon thanks for filling me in on what you're looking for, and making some very valid points, all of us LG users on this thread share in the same frustration that you do. My heart was in the right place when I said we should do this together instead of being divided. But, after reading what both of you said, maybe we need to break this down before we can build it up. You both have some valid points that should be addressed.

Asking for transparency isn't too much to ask for.

This is what I know from reading this thread, the Emby Dev team submitted the app to LG, it got kicked back for some reason and then it was resubmitted and accepted by LG, however, now we have to wait for LG to release it on their own end.

That's sounds pretty transparent to me, however, I think what you're seeking is proof, and that's a messy subject, questioning another person or persons integrity is a touchy thing. I think we certainly have the right to ask, however, this should be done with dignity and poise. Simply throwing around statements that they are hiding things and being disingenuous isn't going to get us anywhere, let's ask them specific questions for your proof you seek.

Let's ask a direct question.

I think what your looking for is rejection letters, correspondence, and submission paperwork, however, that might be prohibited by Emby Legal. I'd say join the submission team, but then you'd be subjected to the same gag-order IF one existed.

Luke, ebr, and chef: Can we please see any of those documents? Maybe redact impertinent and sensitive information?

I am not questioning the integrity of anyone from Emby. That's is not what I said.

What I said is that we have not seen any clarity of the issue.

Let's do an analogy. If you deposited some money in your bank account and your bank told you they received it. BUT you do not see the amount in your monthly statement, then you do not wait over a year and assume that the bank will eventually deposit the actual amount. No, you would start a discussion immediately with your bank and ask them what is the problem and try to resolve the problem. If I then came to ask you "hey what happened to that money you deposited", all you have to say is "thanks MacNB for asking but I am in discussion with my bank to resolve the problem and that is all I can say at the moment and thanks for asking". Now, did I question your integrity ?

• Like 1

Nostradamus1973

macnb,

I see your point and understand your analogy fully and can't disagree with any of it, however, we are looking at it from very different view points, allow me to offer my analogy so you understand where I was coming from.

• Your stock advisor Mr. Emby opens an account at the same bank that you do. You are a paying members to the same IRC Stock Trading Advisement Team(Yes, it's a real thing, LOL) that he runs and both of you like discussing your personal financial portfolios for certain tips and advice.
  • You would be okay asking about the broader points of investing, however, asking him(or the bank) to look at his person financial transactions and signed documentation would be considered inappropriate.
  • In this situation asking Mr. Emby to verify his assets because you don't believe him would be questioning his integrity.

It's my understanding that your analogy is more akin to a personal nature where the person opening the account would get a receipt for their deposit or request a receipt which is again is evidence/proof. I can further narrow this down by saying if you submitted the application to the LG WebOS team, then it would be completely appropriate for you to request that info from LG, because you personally did it; where if I simply expected to look at the details of your WebOS submission that would be out-of-bounds. But, that's just my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right, and like I said before, I get what you're saying.

I understand tensions are really tight over this whole LG thing, I'm sure my opinions are different than other's(that's what makes us unique), if I've misunderstood anyone, I apologize, let's move forward to a resolution.

Are we good macnb? Same team right?

rbjtech has a good point. Should we consider this app dead and move on? Or, should we push forward? I'm so aggravated over this whole LG thing I have enough contempt to keep pushing on for a little while, however, we need to have a plan.

David Patt
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I'm one of the lucky ones who's LG App is still working - but in all honesty, I have given up on the App and moved on about a year ago and rarely use it now.  With the magic remote, my personal view is it is (was) still superior to the current Android App in pure navigation (point and click) but of course it is now missing many bells and whistles the Android App has.

Again, my personal view is they should remove it as a 'supported' app - or at the very least clearly state this when it is installed and on the 'apps' page on the website (along with a 'this is not supported on 2021 LG TV's ...).

18 Months without an update on any software means it is no longer in active development - it may 'work' but you take your chances with it, and I agree Emby should be transparent about this.  I would much rather they say development is 'on hold due to circumstances outside of their control' rather than 'it's in the pipeline, repeated' for 18 Months. 

LG are not that slow - I've had multiple updates from many other apps in those 18 months.. 

Same thing. When it works i am happy. But i think more and more with LG TV updates something can get broken. And sometimes it is not wise to omit security updates. When i made decision to buy LG TV for my father it was on price of the tv and my information at the time that app is supported and updates are coming. I have some issues for time to time with LG TV and Emby app and i was promised that is fixed in new update. But as we all know no new updates for very long time. It generally works and its use is like once per week sometime once per month. Do i regret to buy LG TV ? Yes i do. If i buy more expensive with  Android i think i will be more worry free. It is bad it cant be sideloaded like on Android TV i think it will solve some problems. Knowing what is going on will be great. I believe team Emby that LG for some reason reject their submissions but a little voice in the back of my head whisper to me thats not all to that.  I can accept ugly truth that LG is not supported any more but we are still told that updates are coming.

In my country is proverb (in loose translation) :  trust but verify.

So Emby team please be honest with us. I think we all can accept truth whatever it is without bad emotion.

Thank you and remember we users are on your side.

• Like 2

macnb
3 hours ago, Nostradamus1973 said:

macnb,

I see your point and understand your analogy fully and can't disagree with any of it, however, we are looking at it from very different view points, allow me to offer my analogy so you understand where I was coming from.

• Your stock advisor Mr. Emby opens an account at the same bank that you do. You are a paying members to the same IRC Stock Trading Advisement Team(Yes, it's a real thing, LOL) that he runs and both of you like discussing your personal financial portfolios for certain tips and advice.
  • You would be okay asking about the broader points of investing, however, asking him(or the bank) to look at his person financial transactions and signed documentation would be considered inappropriate.
  • In this situation asking Mr. Emby to verify his assets because you don't believe him would be questioning his integrity.

It's my understanding that your analogy is more akin to a personal nature where the person opening the account would get a receipt for their deposit or request a receipt which is again is evidence/proof. I can further narrow this down by saying if you submitted the application to the LG WebOS team, then it would be completely appropriate for you to request that info from LG, because you personally did it; where if I simply expected to look at the details of your WebOS submission that would be out-of-bounds. But, that's just my opinion and I'm not saying I'm right, and like I said before, I get what you're saying.

I understand tensions are really tight over this whole LG thing, I'm sure my opinions are different than other's(that's what makes us unique), if I've misunderstood anyone, I apologize, let's move forward to a resolution.

Are we good macnb? Same team right?

rbjtech has a good point. Should we consider this app dead and move on? Or, should we push forward? I'm so aggravated over this whole LG thing I have enough contempt to keep pushing on for a little while, however, we need to have a plan.

We are good no issues.

But I don't quite agree with your analogy.

We are not looking for proof/receipts/etc from Emby team that they have submitted their S/W - I'm confident they have.

What Emby are not telling us is what's happened since (apart from repeatedly telling us that they have submitted it) .

They (Emby) just need to stop this conversation by coming clean say that they intend to develop the LG App further or not. We then just move on.

I know I have.

• Like 1

Michael1952

Hi Everyone,

I haven't followed this thread for long but it has been long enough to see a pattern in the posts... Emby good, LG bad... I can sympathize with this feeling. I recently had a reason to call LG tech support because I was trying to simply download an app to my LG Smart TV. Their website was malfunctioning and I wanted to find out if there was another way to get the app I wanted. I was not surprised to hear an obviously non-English speaker on the other end of the phone, but hey, I can deal with that. I explained my problem and the person on the LG side of the conversation was completely stumped. Not by the language barrier but by the lack of a good answer to my problem. I came at the situation in another direction and the Tech lost all séance of what I was asking and decided to pass me on to a higher authority. I proceeded to again explain my problem to the new Tech and was again met with a verbal blank stare. After a bit more dancing around the question I was again passed on to a higher authority. This process was repeated two more times before I lost all hope of achieving any resolution to my problem. What was really a minor problem and should have been easily answered, even if the answer was that they could not do what I was asking, by the first Tech. I spent an hour and a half on the phone and hung up disappointed and pissed off. I decided then and there that I was divesting myself from the 70in LG smart TV I now have and that I would never buy another LG TV and in fact I will never buy another LG product of any kind.

All of this is to say... It is no surprise to me that the EMBY team has been waiting for over a year for an answer concerning, or acceptance of their app by the LG software People. The way that I perceive the functioning of the LG corporate mission, It is not unconceivable that the EMBY team will wait tell hell freezes over for acceptance of their app.

But that's just me.

Michael1952

Just a thought , a bit more solidly on topic, Has anyone considered that EMBY may be the victim of counter-advocacy by another web based media server Like I don't know... PLEX perhaps? This could be way off base and far fetched but, well the thought just occurred to me.🤨

David Patt
36 minutes ago, Michael1952 said:

Just a thought , a bit more solidly on topic, Has anyone considered that EMBY may be the victim of counter-advocacy by another web based media server Like I don't know... PLEX perhaps? This could be way off base and far fetched but, well the thought just occurred to me.🤨

I have too too many "theories" on whats going. But they are merely speculations from my part so i didnt voice them. I believe we get some kind of annoucment from Emby team soon on the matter.

goenngoenn

For example Jellyfin has a working Webos app for two years now but you can only install it via developer mode because they, too, are kinda "scared" to submit it to LG. Or atleast that's the vibe I get from the information they give. There's a Issue on github about that on their webos jellyfin github.

I don't know if it's OK to post this link but for the sake of sincerity here it is:

https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-webos/issues/28

Everyone says the app works fine when installed via developer mode but they still are hesitant about submitting it.

So I think the emby team here definitely has a point.

I also think, that you don't get a hang of a specific person at LG working with these evaluations, that's more an underlying problem but with a specific person you could work something out. If you need to explain everything every other day to another person that's just a mess.

zellonatious
17 hours ago, goenngoenn said:

For example Jellyfin has a working Webos app for two years now but you can only install it via developer mode because they, too, are kinda "scared" to submit it to LG. Or atleast that's the vibe I get from the information they give. There's a Issue on github about that on their webos jellyfin github.

They have already submitted recently but were rejected by LG.

@ emby team

Any plans to release an updated ipk on the download site so that people can sideload the web os app? I have a rooted 2019 tv.

• 4 weeks later...
unisoft

Whilst I get that new TVs don't have the Emby app, and there has been no update, I am against the suggestion of pulling it.

If you have it available in the store for < 2021 TVs, then it does work with 4.6.4 server.

Support for LG App was the main reason I purchased an Emby license.

I also wanted to do away with extra plugin devices (all using extra power) and the hassle of switching AV inputs for any Tv that was "smart".

I even chose another 2 LG TVs (one for us, one for mother) because Emby was supported.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:13 PM, unisoft said:

Support for LG App was the main reason I purchased an Emby license.

Same reason for me and I suspect more people. Sadly, that support hasn't been here for the past 12+ months. Yes the client works, but just barely, and with my new 2021 model TV I can't even use it. It is time for me to move on from emby I guess. 

arst06db
39 minutes ago, Pan. said:

Same reason for me and I suspect more people. Sadly, that support hasn't been here for the past 12+ months. Yes the client works, but just barely, and with my new 2021 model TV I can't even use it. It is time for me to move on from emby I guess. 

Unfortunately, apart from the woeful in-built LG app, the only alternative on 2021 models is Plex.

neves000
2 hours ago, Pan. said:

Same reason for me and I suspect more people. 

I agree.

On 7/4/2021 at 4:08 AM, zellonatious said:

@ emby team

Any plans to release an updated ipk on the download site so that people can sideload the web os app? I have a rooted 2019 tv.

Any news about this? Maybe just a negative answer, but at least an answer?

bpbenich

My introduction to this forum was the first week of July after my brother and I bought an LG tv, having verified (via Emby’s homepage) that they had an LG WebOS app. When I couldn’t find Emby in the App Store, I found this forum and have since read every post dated since January.

I’ve since waited patiently hoping that “soon” meant about 5 months.

Takeaway: YES. Take down the LG WebOS page on the Emby website. If LG is a shit company who doesn’t support Emby, then let’s not give our Emby community a reason to buy their TVs. And, more LG users is just going to make this problem worse.

Today, I stood up a Plex instance to run beside my Emby instance. Thought I would try it out, see how their service works, and my brother can be the pilot user since he doesn’t have Emby on his TV.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:33 AM, arst06db said:

Unfortunately, apart from the woeful in-built LG app, the only alternative on 2021 models is Plex.

Yes, this is true; but sadly, Plex I’ve found to be garbage (sadly because as users we have only one option, one hope). While their apps can be polished and some functions might work better than Emby, Plex is just not as functional for self-hosters. Plex is going the way of Pluto tv and other free-Ad-based services. Also, when grandpa forgets his password, I’d like to be able to reset it for him (local accounts, LDAP support, etc). I think Emby has the capability of building us the features we want while Plex has other motives.

Takeaway: Emby is the best platform for self-hosted content out there. Yes, it has it’s quarks and areas for improvement, but it’s the only platform that will ever give it’s users the freedom, features, and cohesiveness our community is looking for.

Note to Devs: Don’t copy the bad parts of Plex!

That being said, I think we need to support our Emby Devs more regularly (I prefer using a donate button over subscriptions). Because I want to see continued support, new features, etc.

To note; I don’t know how much staff Emby has, and when I visit forums, I can tell how much work it is to keep up with all the posts, questions, etc. We get what we get, but we can only get it from them. @Luke, @ebr, @chef Thank you for all the work you do to keep the community around for another day; It’s a lot of work and I/we truly appreciate it. DM me anytime for coffee.

Looping back around to the topic at hand; while I too want the Emby app on the LG App Store, I’m not sure there is anything we can do but wait and support our Emby staff in the meantime. I’m just hoping the Emby team has our best interest at heart and knows that if they need our support (i.e. building leverage in the LG forums, money to support more dev time) that they communicate that to us effectively.

Edited by bpbenich
Slight typo; reword after self-review
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

chef

I have a good feeling about upcomming releases of the LG app. I know Sam is aware of the current issues.

In the mean time, I ended up buying a fire tv stick 4k for my LG tv. Not that the LG tv  Emby app was bad (it was fine), but overall the LG tv is bad. I complained about the lack of DTS to LG, and they responded with "yes LG tv's don't handle DTS".

Wow!  Okay...

Anyway, now the fire stick 4K direct plays all the HDR stuff and it is just fine. 

Now for that Xbox so I can play Destiny 2 at 4k... Hmmm....

Edited by chef
  • Like 1