Can't connect to server using SSL

echoxxzz
Go to solution Solved by echoxxzz,

echoxxzz

How do you get Emby Theatre to connect to the server using SSL?

I've tried manually adding the server using both the IP address and DNS name and port 8920 and it never works.

I can logon using a web browser using SSL just fine.

Right now I'm using the self-signed cert generated by the Emby install.

Do I need a legit cert?

Tur0k

If your Emby Theatre client running on windows/Linux/OS X? If so you should be able to import the self-signed certificate into your system's trusted certificates store. I would attempt doing this from a browser first. I would do this while on the local LAN to limit the possibility of a MITM attack compromising your your import.

Some smart phone and tablet OS's don't give you the option to import self-signed certificates.

The cleaner solution would be to pickup a domain and publicly trusted ssl certificate. This normallt has extra costs. If you go this route I would recommend namecheap and Komodo for ssl certificates.

Here, I run a google Domain ($12 annually) for my house, and use Let's encrypt SSL certificates (free) for my SSL needs. Personally, I do a lot of OTHstuff with my domain so I don't mind the extra costs. I have heard that you can get a free DUCKDNS DDNS domain and get that subdomain to work with a free Let's encrypt subdomain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

echoxxzz

I use Let's Encrypt for my other servers so I'm planning on getting a cert of my emby server. I'll let you know if it works and solves the problem.

• Solution
echoxxzz

Confirmed, once I got a valid cert from LetsEncrypt, I can now logon to the Emby Server using SSL from Emby Theatre.

• Like 1