Roku 7.7 software issues

Happy2Play

We'll see.  :-)

Will still never forget this, even if they fix it.

True as is seems every other update breaks it again.

• 5 weeks later...

This is a "for your information" update:

4 weeks after the last post on this thread, the firmware on both of my Roku 3 devices remains at version 4135.  I don't know what the "4144 is publicly available now" post was referring to exactly, but Roku certainly isn't rolling it out universally.  I check for firmware updates every 3 days or so, and 4135 remains the latest available to me through normal channels (ie. through the normal user interface).  The Emby app is still broken.  All other apps are working, or had issues but pushed updates that corrected them.  Only the Emby app does not work correctly, both the 'release' version and the latest available beta.  Everything else (about 30 apps) seems to work fine, or had issues but were updated and now work again.

Has there been any progress on the Emby side to figure out why the app is broken, or is the current stance still to be baffled as to what's going on with no idea why there are problems or a path to resolve them?  Just wondering.

Jdiesel

This is a "for your information" update:

4 weeks after the last post on this thread, the firmware on both of my Roku 3 devices remains at version 4135.  I don't know what the "4144 is publicly available now" post was referring to exactly, but Roku certainly isn't rolling it out universally.  I check for firmware updates every 3 days or so, and 4135 remains the latest available to me through normal channels (ie. through the normal user interface).  The Emby app is still broken.  All other apps are working, or had issues but pushed updates that corrected them.  Only the Emby app does not work correctly, both the 'release' version and the latest available beta.  Everything else (about 30 apps) seems to work fine, or had issues but were updated and now work again.

Has there been any progress on the Emby side to figure out why the app is broken, or is the current stance still to be baffled as to what's going on with no idea why there are problems or a path to resolve them?  Just wondering.

What do you mean by "Broken", different devices seem to have different issues and they updated firmware has only been rolled out to certain devices. Are you experiencing the 4GB bug mentioned above or something else?

Happy2Play

It may take Emby creating a workaround for Rokus issues but it is a Roku firmware issue that will be fix but it is a question of it they will roll that fix to all Roku versions.  I currently have firmware 4154 on my Roku 4 and don't have any issue with the app.

See the post that started this thread.  Nothing has changed.

(My first attempt at reply didn't show up in the thread or in my profile->posts, so reposting.  Apologies if I double posted.)

@@AurGlass can you please describe the issue you are having? thanks.

What do you mean by "Broken", different devices seem to have different issues and they updated firmware has only been rolled out to certain devices. Are you experiencing the 4GB bug mentioned above or something else?

I haven't seen anyone else report this same behavior which obviously makes it tough but can you tell me exactly what the version number is at the top of the screen?

Jdiesel

See the post that started this thread.  Nothing has changed.

(My first attempt at reply didn't show up in the thread or in my profile->posts, so reposting.  Apologies if I double posted.)

Sorry I didn't realize you were the original poster.

I currently have a mix of Roku 2, 3, Premiere, and Premiere+'s on 7.6, 7.7, and 8.0 firmware and all are able to connect and play fine. Initially when 7.7 was first rolled out I had issues like you described but I requested a rollback to 7.6 on all devices. Since then some of my devices updated to newer build of 7.7 (I will have to check which ones) while some remained on 7.6. I expect the devices still on 7.6 will update right to 8.0 once it is officially released. I run the beta Emby app on all devices.

Edited by Jdiesel

I haven't seen anyone else report this same behavior which obviously makes it tough but can you tell me exactly what the version number is at the top of the screen?

Currently 3.0.50 for the 'regular' app, 3.0.51 for the beta.  Both still sit and show the spinner forever when I attempt to manually connect to my local emby server.  As mentioned in the first post, this only happened with the 7.7 firmware.  Back when I could roll back to the old firmware, it worked perfectly.  All connections are ethernet (no wifi).  All other Roku apps work fine.  Emby server works fine for all other connection methods (web interface, Emby for Kodi, EmbyCon, DLNA).  I can see the Emby server and stream from it via DLNA on both Roku devices using the Roku native media app.  Only the Emby apps (regular and beta) are unable to connect.  So there's something about how the Emby app goes about initializing a connection to the server that is being affected by the new firmware.

Jdiesel

If it is not to much of an inconvenience I recommend trying a factory reset on your Roku device. I had some connection issues a while back and a factory reset seemed to help. 

If it is not to much of an inconvenience I recommend trying a factory reset on your Roku device. I had some connection issues a while back and a factory reset seemed to help. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  Normally I would agree with you as a last resort, but it's pretty clear that the issues are specifically due to some weird interaction between the Emby app and this particular version of the Roku firmware.  Rolling back to the previous version of the firmware on 2 Roku devices (back when that was possible) restored normal behavior.  Upgrading to the 7.7 firmware causes the problem to reoccur and it's exactly the same each time.  All other functionality on the Rokus is normal.  Given that and the fact that this firmware update has caused problems for many other users and is acknowledged by Roku itself, I don't have much confidence that a factory reset would do anything but waste time.  I fully expect that when a more recent update is made available, the issue may be fixed.  If so, I'll report back here for the sake of completeness.

Currently 3.0.50 for the 'regular' app, 3.0.51 for the beta.  Both still sit and show the spinner forever when I attempt to manually connect to my local emby server.  As mentioned in the first post, this only happened with the 7.7 firmware.  Back when I could roll back to the old firmware, it worked perfectly.  All connections are ethernet (no wifi).  All other Roku apps work fine.  Emby server works fine for all other connection methods (web interface, Emby for Kodi, EmbyCon, DLNA).  I can see the Emby server and stream from it via DLNA on both Roku devices using the Roku native media app.  Only the Emby apps (regular and beta) are unable to connect.  So there's something about how the Emby app goes about initializing a connection to the server that is being affected by the new firmware.

Do you have the Debug Options turned on? If so, try turning them off.

Do you have the Debug Options turned on? If so, try turning them off.

Can't access those settings in the Emby app because they are only available once you have a connection to an Emby server ( I just tried).  Otherwise I just see the Emby Connect option or manually connect to a server.  Can't get past that, so no debug options available.  Catch 22.

Look, before this turns into a long thread about what obscure things I didn't try to get things to work, I've tried everything and have since moved on to alternative approaches (Emby for Kodi) so my interest is mainly academic. I rolled back the firmware when I was able.  The problem goes away.  I rebooted the Roku multiple times (hard reboot by pulling the power cord). Uninstalled/reinstalled the Emby apps thrice, beta and regular.  Switched the location of my Roku devices to verify the problem wasn't specific to a device or network cable/location.  Swapped my ethernet cables.  Turned on detailed debug logs on my Emby server, found nothing of interest.  Made sure my electricity was on and the Roku was plugged in.  Tested my ability to access and use my Emby server in every way imaginable from a variety of devices (it works in all other instances).  Manually configured network settings on my Roku devices to rule out weird DHCP issues.  Yada yada.  I've tried everything reasonable to rule out systemic errors unrelated to the Emby app itself.  It's the Roku firmware update that's the culprit.   That's pretty clear, I think.  So I can fiddle and jigger all I want, but that doesn't address the fundamental fact that Roku changed something in their firmware update that broke a lot of stuff, the Emby app was affected, and whatever the problem is it's fixable since other apps that broke due to the firmware upgrade have since been fixed by their developers and seem to work now.  Since I'm not the developer of the Roku app, don't have access to the source code, a testing environment or whatever information Roku provides to their app developers, I can't really do much else.  That's why I reported this in the first place, so you guys would know there's something going on that might be worth looking in to.  It seems to me that it's worth figuring out from your end because you probably have no idea how many people might be trying to use Emby on Roku and just gave up because it didn't work.  I'm stubborn, persistent, have worked with technology for over 30 years and am accustomed to making things work when they don't want to.  I'm usually successful or understand why I'm not.

Here's an interesting anecdote since I was playing with this earlier today:  After I load the Emby app and configure the settings to initiate a manual connection to the local Emby server, I hit the connect button and get the endlessly spinning progress icon in the middle of the screen that won't go away until I kill the app and go back to the home screen.  While I'm in the Emby app, though, I can still blindly access all the parts of the "manually connect" user interface.  The screen never changes from the spinning progress icon, but I can use the Roku remote to change the server name/ip, change the port.  The dialogs to change those settings pop up when I use the up/down arrows on the Roku remote to scroll around then hit Ok.  So the underlying user interface is still active and navigable though I can't actually see that screen.  The secondary dialogs do pop up though, and can be edited.  The user interface of the Roku app seems to get hung on the progress dialog and won't display anything else once it gets wedged.  Seems like there might be some tweaking to be done there so the UI doesn't get stuck on a non-productive screen.  Might not fix the underlying issue, but at least the user can see the screens they are clearly able to navigate through.

All right.  Back to work.

Do you know for sure that you had the debug options turned on?

If so, uninstalling and re-installing the app would put you back to defaults which would have them off.

Do you know for sure that you had the debug options turned on?

If so, uninstalling and re-installing the app would put you back to defaults which would have them off.

I definitely have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Thrice.  6 times if you count the Beta, since I have been trying both.  I have 2 Roku devices, so I actually could tell a more complex story, since I was more aggressive in resetting/reinstalling with one than the other.  I thought that would just confuse things.  The bottom line is that neither work properly with Roku 7.7.

Back when I was able to shift between firmware versions (early August 2017) I had debug settings on so I could try to figure out what was going on (or provide a log).  THe logs didn't help.  Once the new Roku firmware was the only option and fallback to previous firmware was disallowed, I couldn't access settings any longer, so I honestly don't know what my settings are.  Maybe they persisted across reinstalls, maybe they were wiped.  I honestly don't know.

The problem with troubleshooting in a proprietary forced update environment is that I can't control the environment I'm running in (hence being a Linux user for a few decades).  I can't control the Roku environment.  I can't install different versions of the firmware.  I can't build from github code.  I can't debug it, provide detailed logs or a patch to fix the problem.  I can only react to it and report what happens.  Not very effective.

Edited by AurGlass