NextPVR for Live TV only

kanipek
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

arrbee99

As general points -

Quite like NextPVR feeding Emby as it works well, but would like it if possible to direct play or direct stream. NextPVR will direct play only to Ember for Emby, but Ember doesn't de-interlace. It transcodes to Chrome and ET. It will direct play to FireTV but with a green or static band down the right hand side of the picture.

Would like to play TV via DVB-S, which has more channels but is only SD resolution. Would also like to use IPTV which is slowly appearing in New Zealand, as some of them are in HD, but there are fewer channels for now than DVB-S. Using the plug-in, NextPVR transcodes for DVB-S and IPTV, but if i don't use the plug-in (as per your link above) it transcodes for DVB-S but direct plays for IPTV. Guess I should check this again.

The plug-in gets artwork for LiveTV, the direct (non plug-in method doesn't. I guess the IPTV m3u doesn't provide artwork.

We don't have DVB-T and can't use a HomeRun.

Have send logs here  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50144-32282-new-next-pvr-option/ and mentioned FTV thing here  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50180-firetv-live-tv-and-nextpvr/#entry479830  

Using the plug-in, NextPVR transcodes for DVB-S and IPTV, ....

Just to be clear - NextPVR is not transcoding anything. It always just passes the raw original stream to Emby. If it's being transcoded, that is something Emby is deciding to do. 

arrbee99

Just to be clear - NextPVR is not transcoding anything. It always just passes the raw original stream to Emby. If it's being transcoded, that is something Emby is deciding to do. 

Would that be in .ts form. You wouldn't happen to know if any Emby apps play .ts without transcoding ? (I know know you're not an Emby person, but nothing ventured, etc...)

Would that be in .ts form. You wouldn't happen to know if any Emby apps play .ts without transcoding ? (I know know you're not an Emby person, but nothing ventured, etc...)

Yes, it's always sending in the broadcast transport stream format. I don't know what Emby apps can play what type of content.

It could be that the player can't handle that type of content, or it could also be a limitation in Emby's NextPVR plugin which prompts the core Emby engine to transcode (like not being able to identify the type of codecs in the stream).

arrbee99

Yes, it's always sending in the broadcast transport stream format. I don't know what Emby apps can play what type of content.

It could be that the player can't handle that type of content, or it could also be a limitation in Emby's NextPVR plugin which prompts the core Emby engine to transcode (like not being able to identify the type of codecs in the stream).

Well, I remember looking through Emby server logs and seeing -

Cannot DirectPlay due to unknown content bitrate

Cannot DirectStream due to unknown content bitrate

Profile: Unknown Profile.....

but I know nowt about Emby and logs so no idea whether thats actually significant or not.

Well, I remember looking through Emby server logs and seeing -

Cannot DirectPlay due to unknown content bitrate

Cannot DirectStream due to unknown content bitrate

Profile: Unknown Profile.....

but I know nowt about Emby and logs so no idea whether thats actually significant or not.

I don't know anything about those - only the Emby guys would be able to tell you and fix if necessary. 

haroldmchugh

I would like to add some observations from a layman's point of view and information which I have read as I understand it.  The m3u internal nextpvr wrapper works great with actual directplay, but only allows one tuner to be used for me.  I have a Ceton tuner.  The nextpvr plugin works.  It allows multiple streams and a decent recording interface with nextpvr.  I have been using it for quite a while and still continue to use it.  The biggest problem I have found with it on the Emby side seems to be the inability to determine or pass through the mpegts container.  If I set the user permissions to allow video transcoding, then LiveTV will always transcode on all of my devices.  If I set the user permissions to not allow video transcoding, then LiveTV will always Direcstream.  Kudo's on the directstreaming.  It uses very little server side resources, unlike transcoding.  I believe that the same inability to pass through the mpegts container also results in very long channel changes.  The stream from nextpvr starts immediately, the Emby dashboard shows that it is playing, but I get a circle for 30 to 60 seconds for every channel selection.  I think that a very long process of trying to determine the stream container and codecs coming from nextpvr and trying to determine the destination player's ability to use containers and codecs is what causes the delay.  I am interested on thoughts towards allowing a pre-definition of the video stream for Emby coming from the nextpvr plugin.  If the problem is that Emby cannot determine what format the stream is in, then why make it try every time a channel is selected?  Next thought.  Ability to define the ability of the player, Emby Device.  I know that my device can handle the stream container and codecs from using the m3u interface, so why shouldn't we just tell Emby to send it without the long process it undergoes to reach the wrong conclusion.  I can see how this might need to be located under an advanced setting so that you don't get thousands of bug reports, but it would make the user experience so much better in a situation like I have.  You wouldn't necessarily need to set it to device, but you could include a global setting to disable the LiveTV stream probing function.  I am old and haven't written code in a long time and I don't know much about the logic Emby uses to get the stream from the nextpvr plugin to the the player, but I really do appreciate what you guys are doing.

arrbee99

Just wondering, you said 'If I set the user permissions to not allow video transcoding, then LiveTV will always Direcstream'. Is that with or without the NextPVR plug-in. Also, where do you do this, in the server or the app, if an app which app. Thanks.

haroldmchugh

Just wondering, you said 'If I set the user permissions to not allow video transcoding, then LiveTV will always Direcstream'. Is that with or without the NextPVR plug-in. Also, where do you do this, in the server or the app, if an app which app. Thanks.

The user permissions on the server side, dashboard.  I am using the nextpvr plugin.  I did try the builtin nextpvr and it worked great, but would only utilize one of my six possible tuners, meaning that it did directplay.

arrbee99

The user permissions on the server side, dashboard.  I am using the nextpvr plugin.  I did try the builtin nextpvr and it worked great, but would only utilize one of my six possible tuners, meaning that it did directplay.

Do you mean this  media playback section ? presumably thats for all media, not just Live TV ?

59a8aa93bd6e5_EmbyUserSettings.jpg

Might also go back to the plug-in. Only have one tuner but the no-plug-in method still transcodes DVB-S and with the plug-in I should get some artwork back.

haroldmchugh

Do you mean this  media playback section ? presumably thats for all media, not just Live TV ?

59a8aa93bd6e5_EmbyUserSettings.jpg

Might also go back to the plug-in. Only have one tuner but the no-plug-in method still transcodes DVB-S and with the plug-in I should get some artwork back.

Yes, that is the spot.  I have two users defined.  One is for the family library and for accessing remotely from outside the home network.  The other is for Live TV access from within my home network.  I only disable the video transcode for the Live TV user, not the full family access user.  If I access Live TV from the family user then it will transcode.  If I access Live TV from the Live TV user then it will direct stream.  Its a difference of 30% server cpu and 2% server cpu usage.  It allows me to have all six streams running at the same time easily.

arrbee99

Yes, that is the spot.  I have two users defined.  One is for the family library and for accessing remotely from outside the home network.  The other is for Live TV access from within my home network.  I only disable the video transcode for the Live TV user, not the full family access user.  If I access Live TV from the family user then it will transcode.  If I access Live TV from the Live TV user then it will direct stream.  Its a difference of 30% server cpu and 2% server cpu usage.  It allows me to have all six streams running at the same time easily.

Thanks. Thats interesting. Would never have occurred to do that :) . Works for direct streaming with the no-plug-in method. Will have a go using the plug-in soon(ish) and hope it does the same, then hopefully I can avoid transcoding and have some artwork....

BTW, pity it doesn't seem to speed up starting to play a channel though (its still way quicker in Ember, which I think Direct Plays).

Edited by arrbee99
  • Like 1

haroldmchugh

It's a little bothersome switching users to watch live TV, but it's worth it.  Good luck.  Maybe someone will look into the force transcoding issue now that it is obvious that the players can play the stream as is, even though Emby doesn't think that it can.  Cheers

arrbee99

Will play a bit me and hopefully see how it goes with SWMBO. Yep, would be nice if it the transcoding thing could be polished off. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

i like this idea for disabling trancoding for the user but mine fails to play.  It starts for about 2 seconds, i hear a blip of audio (no video) and then it hangs.  Here is a snippet from the logs:

2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info App: Transcoding kill timer stopped for JobId b13f1f0b775c460a99364a5a162de184 PlaySessionId 0e36e6e473ec4cc4acbf34409d569783. Killing transcoding
2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info App: Deleting partial stream file(s) C:\Transcode Temp\transcoding-temp\5f46fa93dd6a62085fd6065c888945e3.m3u8
2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info MediaSourceManager: Closing live stream 31137e308f44193358c2d4f40ee6b39e_2 with provider LiveTvMediaSourceProvider
2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info App: Closing live stream from Next Pvr, stream Id: 2
2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info App: [NextPvr] Closing 2

I do have the latest plugin installed so not sure what else i can do.  I also uploaded my logs for review.  Thanks.

server-63641090429.txt

ffmpeg-remux-2ce8ecaf-2206-4e56-a473-545d7beb0e29.txt

ffmpeg-remux-aa6506b6-3e01-449b-9b1a-caa8080b98c3.txt

i like this idea for disabling trancoding for the user but mine fails to play.  It starts for about 2 seconds, i hear a blip of audio (no video) and then it hangs.  Here is a snippet from the logs:

2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info App: Transcoding kill timer stopped for JobId b13f1f0b775c460a99364a5a162de184 PlaySessionId 0e36e6e473ec4cc4acbf34409d569783. Killing transcoding

2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info App: Deleting partial stream file(s) C:\Transcode Temp\transcoding-temp\5f46fa93dd6a62085fd6065c888945e3.m3u8

2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info MediaSourceManager: Closing live stream 31137e308f44193358c2d4f40ee6b39e_2 with provider LiveTvMediaSourceProvider

2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info App: Closing live stream from Next Pvr, stream Id: 2

2017-09-15 16:45:20.214 Info App: [NextPvr] Closing 2

I do have the latest plugin installed so not sure what else i can do.  I also uploaded my logs for review.  Thanks.

Unless I'm mistaken, you're playing from a web browser. There is no web browser that supports mpeg2video, so in response to:

not sure what else i can do

What you can do is use the default settings.

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken, you're playing from a web browser. There is no web browser that supports mpeg2video, so in response to:

What you can do is use the default settings.

Thanks Luke. I didn't know that about the browser so I'll try it with Android TV. However, it is curious why emby feels the need to transcode when it doesn't actually need to. I verified that with my android phone. I will be interested to see where this goes.

In the meantime I appreciate you taking the time to answer my dumb questions. I can't imagine what it's like to have to pour over the forums and respond to everything. You probably don't get recognized enough but I appreciate your help. Thanks again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

arrbee99

We don't transcode when not necessary.

Is trancoding related to de-interlacing ? Am pretty sure I've seen both views expressed in different Emby threads i.e. that you can deinterlace without tanscoding, or that transcoding is required to be done if de-interlacing is required.