Kodi not using cache when video is transcoded

tojo2503

tojo2503

Thanks for clearing that up...

So increasing is not an option. But if Kodi does not cache the HLS streams, then who does it? Is it cached at all in Kodi? Does ffmpeg do the caching (or is it supposed to do so)? Maybe increased segment sizes would help here?

When starting a transcoded stream the RAM does not even fill for 8 seconds (or 8 MByte with an 8 MBit stream), the RAM usage is kept constant...

Andy777

Thanks for clearing that up...

So increasing is not an option. But if Kodi does not cache the HLS streams, then who does it? Is it cached at all in Kodi? Does ffmpeg do the caching (or is it supposed to do so)? Maybe increased segment sizes would help here?

When starting a transcoded stream the RAM does not even fill for 8 seconds (or 8 MByte with an 8 MBit stream), the RAM usage is kept constant...

If I understand it right, It uses a separate post-demuxer cache which is _maximum_ of 8 seconds. It used to be configurable (within the 8 seconds) with advancedsettings.xml tag <minvideocachelevel>. That tag was removed in Kodi 17.

tojo2503

Hi,

it seems that "peak3d" implemented the hls-inputs with inputstream 2.0.8, which is currently only available for Kodi 18 Leia (https://github.com/peak3d/inputstream.adaptive).

Are there any plans to use this to pass the videos to Kodi? If I got it right this would mean that caching works fine and the streams would be handled as "normal" Kodi videos concerning buffering etc.?

I'd be willing to test it on my Pi3 system to check if it works fine with the Kodi 18 nightly. Thanks a lot for all the development for the addon!