Android TV - Live TV - No Audio/No Video Just a spinning circle

kanipek
Go to solution Solved by kanipek,

kanipek

I haven't ever really used Emby for watching Live TV before. So I don't know if this is a recent problem or not. Emby doesn't seem to have any other issues recording any of these channels.

I am attaching a server log and several ffmeg (transcode) logs.

So what I am seeing on an Nvidia Shield is this:

For an mpg2 channel a spinning circle for a few seconds then channels play

For mp4 channels just a spinning circle, black screen no audio/video

Sony Bravia XBR55x850d:

Same as the NVIDIA Shield

Web client:

Plays Everything I have tried to tune

So with the Sony and Nvidia both being Android TV am I missing a setting some where?

Should Live TV be working normally on these clients?

On the Nvidia I did try to use an external player (which ended up using KODI) but there was a lot of buffering.

Emby Server is Version 3.2.26.0

I have rebooted server/network to try and fix.

I have seen no error messages.

Thanks for reading and any help you can provide!

server-63638039827.txt

ffmpeg-remux-658ee994-d307-4e15-b010-ff206a026995.txt

ffmpeg-remux-48161535-d1db-469c-8889-cbb75f94b9d6.txt

ffmpeg-remux-2d9c9ce5-dca8-4007-85f3-3fc1b53e11b5.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-2aab3d6e-cdb1-4f2d-876e-eae47c184313.txt

kanipek

@@Luke My last post was incorrect. I see some change, I can tune a few channels but then goes back to spinning circle.

We need to see some new logs with those options disabled but it sounds like either weak signal or not enough horsepower on the server end to process the stream.

kanipek

I am uploading a new set of logs.

2 ffmpeg and server.

1 ffmpeg is an mpeg2 channel - played successfully for a few minutes

1 ffmpeg is an mp4 (h.264) channel - just a spinning circle for a few minutes

The issue(s) I am having are slow tuning (10+ secs is fast when it does work), No Audio/Video, just not reliable for use at this time.

Can't get anything to direct play from Android TV on a Shield or Sony Bravia

Using Emby Theater Direct Plays on Windows 7.

I do appreciate that Live TV is experimental, just trying to get a solution.

Thanks for any help!

server-63638256388.txt

ffmpeg-remux-c60cb232-1c2a-4a91-9cb0-f5ef64f1f135.txt

ffmpeg-remux-81135545-de59-4631-8173-1e4469378ac6.txt

One of those ffmpeg logs is riddled with errors coming from the stream.

Can't get anything to direct play from Android TV on a Shield or Sony Bravia

Are you still just talking about Live TV here?  Have you enabled the option in the app to attempt to direct stream?

kanipek

Yes I am just asking about Live TV. I have not enabled direct stream in the app yet - It sounded like that would force it to stream which was opposite of what I wanted.

Just adding in other things I have done to see if I can direct play (and hopefully speed up channel tuning) so I tired ET on Windows 7 and in was direct playing channels.

Issue I am having is getting Live TV to direct play (which will speed things up?) from Android TV devices - specifically an Nvidia Shield and a Sony Bravia.

Attached a SS of what I see in the dashboard when watching Live TV on the shield - I see this when ever I use Live TV on the Android TV app, even though the majority of the time I never actually get to watch the channel I tuned to - just the spinning circle.

I hope I am being clear. I am ready to try whatever you guys suggest to get direct play working or even just speeding up the streaming process.

The server I am using is fairly high end Windows 7 Pro box, it's an i7 X980 @3.3Ghz with 12GB RAM I don't think it is related to the hardware. A setting? or perhaps the Android TV clients can't direct play?

The Android clients DO direct play all my recorded files (MP4/AAC).

Anyway I appreciate the help and I am willing to do anything to fix it - if that is possible.

post-127390-0-03723400-1502821348_thumb.jpg

kanipek

I have set the app to direct stream there was no change.

Emby does seem to tune the mpeg2 channels(a few HD most SD but it is slow 10-12 secs) but it never plays the mp4 channels - though it appears in the dashboard that is is playing them.

I have looked at the specs for the Nvidia Shield and it appears mp4/ac3 is supported.

It is not a signal strength issue - see attached

post-127390-0-90136300-1502829001_thumb.jpg

Just got an mp4 channel to tune. It was slow 20 seconds.

Saw attached in the dashboard.

Also noted the log for this one is an ffmpeg-transcode not an ffmpeg-remux.

This one worked because it transcoded due to unsupported audio.  What is the Shield hooked up to?  Just straight into an older TV that doesn't support DD?

kanipek

It's hooked to a Samsung ln40a750 from 2009/2010 via HDMI. I hadn't thought about that end of the equation. I am unsure about audio codec support. I know when I tune it tune an mp4 channel I get only the audio. I guess I could try hooking the shield up to the Sony Bravia as a test.

kanipek

@@ebr Which latest beta are you referring too?

Server? Emby for Android TV?

Thanks!

@@ebr Which latest beta are you referring too?

Server? Emby for Android TV?

Thanks!

Of the app (1.4.41).

kanipek

@@ebr Seems to be functioning the same.

No direct playing. Some mp4 channels play, some do not.

@@ebr Seems to be functioning the same.

No direct playing. Some mp4 channels play, some do not.

Can you please play a channel that works for a few seconds, then stop and play one that doesn't work and then send the log from the app?  Then come back here and tell me when you sent the log and what you played and the name of the Emby server.  Thanks.

kanipek

@@ebr I can do that. Do you want Hardware acceleration on or off on the server? And Direct Stream checked or unchecked on the app?

kanipek

Can you please play a channel that works for a few seconds, then stop and play one that doesn't work and then send the log from the app?  Then come back here and tell me when you sent the log and what you played and the name of the Emby server.  Thanks.

Okay logs sent @2:49pm Eastern.

Server Name: Delta-Vega

Played channel 652 - The Convenient Groom - Played good

Played channel 653 - Criminal Minds - spinning circle

This is with Hardware Acceleration off on the server and Direct Stream unchecked in the App.

Also attaching server logs.

Thanks again!

server-63638576212.txt

ffmpeg-remux-a43473ee-e988-4f3f-b329-73830addd05a.txt

ffmpeg-remux-0a4133b7-1f61-48d5-97f2-5064e351c0b8.txt

kanipek

Okay logs sent @3:00pm Eastern.

This is with Hardware Acceleration off on the server and Direct Stream checked in the App.

Thanks again!

server-63638576212.txt

ffmpeg-remux-cccd6c82-1950-4c0d-a168-6d281de9ce64.txt

ffmpeg-remux-285a8040-e53b-4d6e-a407-00f334446b73.txt

kanipek

Okay logs sent @3:05/6 pm Eastern.

This is with Hardware Acceleration on - on the server and Direct Stream checked in the App.

Thanks again!

server-63638576212.txt

ffmpeg-remux-b0838e0b-a359-4423-a47a-b7808b90f855.txt

ffmpeg-remux-329caf3a-ff20-4d82-b15a-a08431b85124.txt

I'm kind of lost because, on the app side, everything for both of those channels looks pretty much identical - just that the stream never gets going on one of them.  There are no errors.  All log entries just stop for the 40 or so seconds you were waiting for it to start.

The ffmpeg logs look pretty much the same too (they both have a lot of errors though).

These items will never direct stream because it appears you have some headphones plugged into the jack on the Shield remote.  This will cause the app to downmix to stereo so that the sound is produced correctly.  Just for kicks, can you try unplugging that?

• Like 1

kanipek

I'm kind of lost because, on the app side, everything for both of those channels looks pretty much identical - just that the stream never gets going on one of them.  There are no errors.  All log entries just stop for the 40 or so seconds you were waiting for it to start.

The ffmpeg logs look pretty much the same too (they both have a lot of errors though).

These items will never direct stream because it appears you have some headphones plugged into the jack on the Shield remote.  This will cause the app to downmix to stereo so that the sound is produced correctly.  Just for kicks, can you try unplugging that?

Wow! That is all I can say. WOW!

This was not a headphone plugged into the remote, but a Bluetooth speaker I use (shows up in Kodi as Headphones - not sure about the Shield)

I am direct playing right now!!

Did not solve the channels that don't play, but this is progress! I would never have even considered this a problem.

Direct play tuning is faster too 5 seconds or so.

Not sure how to proceed further. New sets of logs?

Well done @@ebr !!