Live TV Recording Features

ewalkersc

ewalkersc

1.  It would be nice under the active recordings to be able to cancel from that screen.  The only place I see to cancel a recording is in the guide.

2.  It would be nice if you are watching something and tell it to start recording that it would include the portion you have already watched and not just start at the time you hit record.

3.  Also, my old cable tuner had 2 tuners in it.  If you were watching one show and then switched to another, it would keep tuning the first channel so if you went directly back to the previous channel you could still rewind, pause, and fast forward for both channels.  It would only stop doing this after tuning to a 3rd channel and you would lose the first channel.

• Like 2

maegibbons

With regards to #1 - yes there should be a cancel option

With regards to #2 and #3 - Yes - I have written before that emby needs to become more intelligent.

There should be an option to enable "Auto Background Record".  When any client requests a TV channel the Server should automatically start recording the stream in the background.   If you choose to subsequently record the program it should move the Background recording to Active recording etc.  If some other device tunes to the same channel it should check with the server and if already being watched/background recorded also picks up the partially recorded stream and could seek to the start if needed.

This is very much how sky set top boxes operate.

I know we are a long way from this at the moment and for the concept of "background record everything" you need capable server hardware so this option would not be for everyone but it is the direction that I think emby should eventually go for its Live TV/DVR functionality.

Krs

Mark

• Like 2

BAlGaInTl

Those seem like good ideas for sure.

I would say that 2 and 3 should definitely be optional toggles.  I could see 3 getting out of had if you had a lot of active tuners.  I have 4 currently, although they aren't all used at the same time very often. 

Guest asrequested

Remember that all tuners are shared with all users, not just one user on one screen. 2 and 3 would be a nightmare. Can you imagine what it would be like in a house with family of 4? Not to mention remote users.

maegibbons

No different to now.   User changes channel, tuner changes channel unless it is being used by another user.  If no tuners then advise "No Tuners".

STB boxes do all this stuff now.  Its just a case of working out the Logic in emby.

Krs

Mark

Guest asrequested

Yeah, but the new DVRs have 6 or more tuners. I think the dish hopper has 16. HDHR devices don't have that many, and most people only have one device. I guess there could be something like, "this feature is only available with X amount of tuners". I just think it would cause more problems than it would solve. But, I've been wrong before. Don't tell anyone I said that :)

Spaceboy

2 and 3 would be great, I have almost unlimited tuners available and lots of disk space. Emby would need to clean up temporary files a lot more regularly but we should be setting the bar high in terms of longer term objectives

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

As for 1, that's a big problem and needs to be fixed. Since the detail page got removed, it's made things like this, very difficult. I couldn't do it in Theater and I had to dig into the server to find a way to stop a recording.

Edited by Doofus