Remote download for offline viewing not working

revengineer

revengineer

Just a quick report on issues with download for offline viewing. When offline mode was introduced a few weeks ago, I reported problems with downloading content for offline viewing away from home. It seemed to work when when connected to my home network so I thought it was the mediocre hotel internet. These days I am again on travel and have exactly the same issues. The transcoding seems to work fine, and the transfer start after completion of transcoding. However, the download never finishes. I also find that the download notification keeps flashing constantly when I pull down the android notifications window, which is rather annoying. I also tried downloading the original without transcoding. This download did not complete either. On the other hand, I have been streaming TV from emby for the past hour without interruption, so the connection works and the internet is decent. I conclude that downloading content from emby to android devices is buggy.

revengineer

Luke,

I have trouble finding the logs. I found a folder /data/data/com.mb.android/files but there is no logs folder inside. Do I need to enable logging?

I noticed that the synced content path in offline sync settings is empty again, but on attempt to set it the app crashes every time. This is on the latest beta.

not sure how to proceed.

Edited by revengineer

• 2 weeks later...
zeyoner

I too have experienced this issue. But I have also had this issue when I used Plex. So I think neither side has really figured it out. It's spotty which sucks because this is one of the features I really want to use. Have there been any updates?

revengineer

I would liked to provide input but cannot locate the logs. I have asked for help with respect to this but not received an answer.

I would liked to provide input but cannot locate the logs. I have asked for help with respect to this but not received an answer.

It would be in your device's pre-defined external storage folder for apps (not the same as SD card). It might be a good idea to display this in the app so that you can easily locate it, because it will vary per device and that's probably what's going on here.

revengineer

It would be in your device's pre-defined external storage folder for apps (not the same as SD card). It might be a good idea to display this in the app so that you can easily locate it, because it will vary per device and that's probably what's going on here.

I did find the com.mb.android folder, but there is no logs folder anywhere inside this. Displaying this in the app would help indeed so I can say for sure whether or not the folder exists.

• Like 1

revengineer

Please try the next release of the app, thanks.

I am on the beta track and did not find any updates today or the past days. Will keep looking.

revengineer

Selecting sync folder still crashes app, still cannot find log file. Submitted crash report through android.

revengineer

I also notice that on the settings screen, the playback and offline sync are just as plain green circles without an icon inside. Not sure whether this is a bug or work to go.

revengineer

This is a Moto X (2nd gen) with Android 4.4.4. I am running a rooted stock rom. It's an older device but still works well and I used to be able to select the sync folder.

guynamedbilly

I am also getting this on my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 on android 4.4.2 on the factory rom, not rooted.

I tried to find the error message, but it does not generate an error log file.  The folder is empty.  

Anytime I try to set the offline path, it crashes immediately.  I did report it from that little window that pops up.

revengineer

Glad to hear there is someone else with the same issue. Maybe it is Android 4.4.x issue. 

I would like to help with the issue in the OP. I am going on travel again next week, and crappy wifi seems to be common to US hotels so I am sure I won't be disappointed. However, I will need the logs to work. For this, the first step is for the app to display where the logs are stored. I am pretty sure no logs are generated on my device but I cannot say for sure until the emby app tells me where they are supposed to be. If we fix the logging, I can run some tests next week.

revengineer

@Luke: i updated the Android app to v2.9.51 and it fixed both the crash with setting the path and creation of the log file. This means that I will be able to supply log files for instances where the sync over internet fail. THANK YOU!!!

revengineer

I tried syncing another movie. Upon selecting download in the Android app, the movie starts transcoding. When transcoding finishes, I select the gear icon next to  "My Downloads" on main screen it the movie is listed "ready to transfer". But it never transfers. I see the error below in the server log.

2017-09-02 15:05:36.259 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.1.70. Time: 2ms. http://192.168.1.50:8096/emby/Sync/Jobs?TargetId=c1f796b6bac2f7e2 
2017-09-02 15:05:36.737 Error App: Error sending web socket message SyncJobs
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.30.0
	Command line: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.FormatException: Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
	   at System.Guid.GuidResult.SetFailure(ParseFailureKind failure, String failureMessageID, Object failureMessageFormatArgument, String failureArgumentName, Exception innerException)
	   at System.Guid.TryParseGuidWithNoStyle(String guidString, GuidResult& result)
	   at System.Guid.TryParseGuid(String g, GuidStyles flags, GuidResult& result)
	   at System.Guid..ctor(String g)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.UserManager.GetUserById(String id)
	   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncRepository.GetJobs(SyncJobQuery query)
	   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManager.GetJobs(SyncJobQuery query)
	   at Emby.Server.Sync.Api.SyncJobsWebSocketListener.<GetDataToSend>d__11.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Sync.Api.BasePeriodicWebSocketListener`2.<SendData>d__19.MoveNext()
	System.FormatException
	   at System.Guid.GuidResult.SetFailure(ParseFailureKind failure, String failureMessageID, Object failureMessageFormatArgument, String failureArgumentName, Exception innerException)
	   at System.Guid.TryParseGuidWithNoStyle(String guidString, GuidResult& result)
	   at System.Guid.TryParseGuid(String g, GuidStyles flags, GuidResult& result)
	   at System.Guid..ctor(String g)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.UserManager.GetUserById(String id)
	   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncRepository.GetJobs(SyncJobQuery query)
	   at Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManager.GetJobs(SyncJobQuery query)
	   at Emby.Server.Sync.Api.SyncJobsWebSocketListener.<GetDataToSend>d__11.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Sync.Api.BasePeriodicWebSocketListener`2.<SendData>d__19.MoveNext()