Advantages of using plugin (TVheadend, NextPVR) versus built in?

hstamas

hstamas

Got recordings set up using the built in Emby features and it’s working pretty well. Since I use Kodi exclusively for my front end I’m also experimenting with NexPVR so I can have timeshifting.

I notice that there are plugins available (assuming these were created before the built in features were available hence why they exist?).

Not having played with the plugins at all, I’m curious what the advantages/disadvantages are in using the plugins versus just using the built in features?

To be honest I’m not even sure what the plugins do? Do you they provide the same feature set as the built in stuff or something different?

Thanks a lot for any input.

Tur0k

So, I just added cable tv to my Emby server and tied it in to emby's native live tv feature. I had a little trouble that I am working through. To the best of my understanding, with media browser you have to run an independent server process for the DVR service then use a plugin to connect to it from Emby. I suspect nextpvr works the same.

I suspect that you can use the same guide provider for all three services. Also, the way I understand it, nextpvr doesn't support DRM encryption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

arrbee99

From my point of view, as far as I know, the built in TV feature only works with HDHomeruns, and they won't make any DVB-S tuners, so I have to use a plug-in (NextPVR in my case) to get my pci-e dvb-s card to talk to Emby.

BAlGaInTl

I transitioned to Emby for all of my media needs from a cobbled together setup of Plex, TVHeadend, and Kodi.

As far as native Emby Live TV vs a separate application (TVHeadend in my case)

Pros

- Much easier to set up

- I now have a single interface for everything

- Simplifies streaming Live TV to multiple client OS (I use PC, Android, Android TV)

- Easier to keep up to date

- It's much more spouse-proof

Cons

- Only supports HDHomerun (not really a con for me since that's what I had)

- Emby still takes a long time to tune channels even when direct streaming

- TVHeadend handled noisy signals better (although this is now much improved in Emby)

- Emby is missing basic information about what was recorded vs what was scheduled.  Although I believe that is coming.

I gave up a few features for ease of use/setup.  The fact that my wife can now easily schedule recordings is a big plus.  With my previous setup, if there was a series she wanted to record, I pretty much had to log on to the TVHeadend interface to set it.  She no longer has to remember that Plex is for movies... Kodi or some other app is for TV.

I'm extremely happy with the development pace of Emby at the moment.

Also, the way I understand it, nextpvr doesn't support DRM encryption.

Just to be clear, DRM is not supported in any of the TV options available via Emby. 

Edited by sub3

Hi,

I have tvheadend running on the same linux server and until now I used kodi as a frontend ( on Raspberry or TV shield ). and emby as an extension of kodi. i works great.

but I have tried Emby on Roku and it's very easy to use especially for non geek people, 

so I realized there's a main issue with emby+tvheadend plugin, I can only set one login for tvheadend per emby server, so whatever the user of emby he has access of all the channels.

So is there a way of setting a separate user for tvheadend per user, or as I have never used the live tv capalibities of emby, is it possiible with the embbeded features of emby ?

Thanks .

Spaceboy

As other have said in Europe tv pci cards are much much more popular than the hdhr and these are not currently supported. Plus I have to say functionality is still a lot better with external severices. And also I still like that's it's a separate service so when Emby has been crashing, as it has lots in the last couple of weeks due to the blurn and Radeon plugins, I still get my programs recorded

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

I agree with your comments, but do you have a trick to have a different setup in tvheadend for different users in emby ?

What do you mean by a "different setup?"

What do you want to be different between users?

There are tricks to get users to see different channels, but I don't believe you can separate recordings.

Spaceboy

I'm using media portal. Was on dvblink but the plug in never seemed to work consistently. Still can't get hd channels to play nice on android tho

What do you mean by a "different setup?"

What do you want to be different between users?

There are tricks to get users to see different channels, but I don't believe you can separate recordings.

the tvheadend configuration allows one user on the server, so whatever the user in emby, he will use this configuration.

my goal is to have different TV channels depending on the emby user ( ie each user in emby connects on tvheadend with a different account)