DVB and Teletext SUBTITLES (UK)

afullmark

Spaceboy

Are we talking at cross purposes then ??

i don't know? isnt all live tv played back trans/i currently so that we can pause and then catch up? and .ts recorded tv is now always played trans/i for better transport controls. although this change is causing the issues with active recordings, another thing outstanding...

CBers

i don't know? isnt all live tv played back trans/i currently so that we can pause and then catch up? and .ts recorded tv is now always played trans/i for better transport controls. although this change is causing the issues with active recordings, another thing outstanding...

My Live TV is Direct Stream, unless I turn on the pause/rewind functionality manually.

Spaceboy

Well, mine would be too but I choose to have pause rewind automatically. I don't think we are talking about different things, just the solution doesn't seem to fix the situation for server played PGS subs

Spaceboy

My Live TV is Direct Stream, unless I turn on the pause/rewind functionality manually.

so... are you saying this is working for you? No-one has said anything either way in response to the update

mini__me

Is anyone else using a HDHomeRun in the UK with FireTV 1 as a client and is unable to play HD channels?

I've reported on various threads but this one seems pretty active so hopefully should get a yes or no :)

On topic, I cannot view subtitles with FireTV 1 as a client when viewing DVBT with HDHomeRun as source.

CBers

so... are you saying this is working for you? No-one has said anything either way in response to the update

I haven't updated as yet. Will do it tomorrow.

Spaceboy

I haven't updated as yet. Will do it tomorrow.

I am pretty sure that update is for something else. PGS subs are to do with blu-ray I believe

maegibbons

Is anyone else using a HDHomeRun in the UK with FireTV 1 as a client and is unable to play HD channels?

I've reported on various threads but this one seems pretty active so hopefully should get a yes or no :)

On topic, I cannot view subtitles with FireTV 1 as a client when viewing DVBT with HDHomeRun as source.

Yes - Bit hit and miss.

103 - ITVhd   plays reasonable

Generally HD channels from HDHomerun are stuttery for me and not a good experience.  Not really tracked it down.

If I want better than SD I choose to use an HD IPTV channel that comes straight in as H264 and is smooth playback.

Krs

Mark

mini__me

Yeah, got the firmware update message directly on the HDHR interface today and they upgraded themselves without having to download an install package. Will give it another go with the latest firmware.

It almost feels like it's struggling for bandwidth, but using the kodi add on the channels stream perfectly.

Also if I start to record and playback the recording in progress the picture is perfect. Though I have enabled the option to transcode the recordings to MKV rather than TS.

• 2 weeks later...
mini__me

To try and see if the problem is bandwidth or Emby I installed NextPvr......HD channels play perfectly now on all devices. I think I'll just leave it as it, as nice as the direct integration is if it's unusable it doesn't fly. Now I have a usable solution.

maegibbons

Just as a slight aside. If you record transcode to mkv with keep original audio and video selected then you loose the DVBSUBS stream in the destination mkv.

Krs

Mark

afullmark

You can try out PGS subs in the latest beta version of the app (on Google platforms) 1.4.37.

@@ebr I have been impressed with the support from Emby on these forums – I can post logs and samples and screenshot to the plex forum and hear nothing from anyone at plex, or nothing gets fixed: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/282096/pms-1-8-1-does-not-capture-any-uk-subtitles-on-any-programme-yet-the-hdhomerun-software-does or here https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/258188/nvidia-shield-tv-mis-rendered-vobsubs-mkv-mpeg2 – so I think I going to pay respect and buy lifetime premiere.

I want to move to Emby and all Im really looking for is:

1. Direct play of vobsub and pgs; which now Emby can do.
  2. Be able to record the DVB subtitle stream for UK TV broadcasts 
  3. Be able to play back TV Recordings and have DVB subtitles show if they are selected (and Direct Played if possible)
  4. Be able to view DVB subtitles why watching live TV

Admittedly, I have no actually tested the above, but I am now certain that if I did have issues that Emby would do their best to help and resolve the issue.

For example, I have one recording that plex simply cannot playback and if it transcodes rather that direct stream then all sorts of issues happen: 

A uk stream contains sources of varying framerate and sounds, and if plex has to transcode that recording it causes all sorted of trouble: for example, prior to a movie starting the previous show will be in one frame rate with 2.0 sound, but when the movie starts plex keeps sound at 2.0 and the wrong framerate. 

Watching in kodi, the audio output will switch from 2.0 to 5.1 happily and with correct framerate.

Yes, I could very well just use plexkodiconnect for everything but I would rather use the plex app, so I'm going to see what emby is like on the shield and go from there. 

@@afullmark

Be able to record the DVB subtitle stream for UK TV broadcasts 

We can do that as long as you don't enable on the fly recording conversion.

• 2 years later...