DVB and Teletext SUBTITLES (UK)

afullmark

afullmark

I use a Nvidia Shield TV and I am considering a move from Plex and wondered if someone could answer a few questions regarding DVR and Live TV:

1. Can the Emby app on the Shield TV display DVB and Teletext subtitles for Live TV, and can they be toggled on and off? 
  2. DVR related, does Emby capture DVB and Teletext subtitles in a recorded stream? I ask because plex (PMS 1.8 does not).
  3. For both Live TV and recorded TV, will files Direct Play with DVB and Teletext subtitles selected or will the Emby server have to transcode?

I hope I do not cause to much bother; I'm considering a move to Emby, so I may pop up on this forum with other questions. Please do forgive me if the answers are obvious. I do search the forum for answers prior to posting.

Spaceboy

At the moment dvb subs aren't working in the atv app. Add your support here Live TV With Subs Doesnt Play

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=77624&share_tid=49527&url=https%3A%2F%2Femby%2Emedia%2Fcommunity%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F49527-Live-TV-With-Subs-Doesnt-Play&share_type=t to get them prioritised [emoji16]

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1

afullmark

Ah, bum. That's probably because of exoplayer (the playback engine emby uses on android) but I thought they used VLC too? So, dvb and teletext subtitles cannot be direct played on shield tv for live or recorded tv but do work with pre-recorded streams via transcode (emby burns them in).

Ah, bum. That's probably because of exoplayer (the playback engine emby uses on android) but I thought they used VLC too? So, dvb and teletext subtitles cannot be direct played on shield tv for live or recorded tv but do work with pre-recorded streams via transcode (emby burns them in).

We do but libVlc is a secondary option because it won't give us hd audio passthrough.

afullmark

We do but libVlc is a secondary option because it won't give us hd audio passthrough.

Yes, I just discovered that emby on the shield cannot also direct play pgs subtitles (plex can); the husband is Catalan and likes to have subtitles up. My server might struggle with burn in of pgs and vc1 content, and, anyway, transcoding really defeats point of buying higher bitrate content.

Thanks so much for prompt reply.

Yes, I just discovered that emby on the shield cannot also direct play pgs subtitles (plex can); the husband is Catalan and likes to have subtitles up. My server might struggle with burn in of pgs and vc1 content, and, anyway, transcoding really defeats point of buying higher bitrate content.

Thanks so much for prompt reply.

Stay tuned because that is going to be changing quickly.

@@Spaceboy I apologize if you've previously provided one (point me to it if so) but can you provide a sample with these other types of subs?

afullmark

Stay tuned because that is going to be changing quickly.

@@Spaceboy I apologize if you've previously provided one (point me to it if so) but can you provide a sample with these other types of subs?

Thanks great to hear. Is that to do with moving from exoplayer; there is rumours that plex might too as they are beta testing their own playback engine on the android. But nothing official and certainly no timeframe. I'll pop back and check on emby in 6 months or so; I certainly prefer your dvr and live tv implementation, just a shame about direct play support for pgs, dvb and teletext subtitles.

Thanks for the prompt reply. In the past when I've checked on emby you've always been super helpful.

maegibbons

I keep coming across these threads.

UK DVB subs DO work on the F/ATV app.  I have tried it many times.

Also they ARE recorded together with the audio and video streams directly from HDHomerun.

Just tried it again with a recording of "Coachtrip"  - works PERFECTLY

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

afullmark

Also they ARE recorded together with the audio and video streams directly from HDHomerun.

Krs

Mark

I wonder what @@Spaceboy means then; those dvb_subtitles must definitely be transcoding and burning in the subtitles stream (we know already that the emby app on the nvidia shield cannot direct play those). 

maegibbons

Just to make sure that it was NOT JUST working on the Fire TV, i have just gone upstairs and tried it on my Xiaomi MI3 box which is pure ATV and it works exactly the same and just as expected.

@@Spaceboy is just nuts! :) :)

Perhaps this is purely a shield quirk?

Krs

Mark

Krs

Mark

Can you get me that file?

Thanks great to hear. Is that to do with moving from exoplayer; there is rumours that plex might too as they are beta testing their own playback engine on the android. But nothing official and certainly no timeframe. I'll pop back and check on emby in 6 months or so; I certainly prefer your dvr and live tv implementation, just a shame about direct play support for pgs, dvb and teletext subtitles.

Thanks for the prompt reply. In the past when I've checked on emby you've always been super helpful.

You can try out PGS subs in the latest beta version of the app (on Google platforms) 1.4.37.

afullmark

You can try out PGS subs in the latest beta version of the app (on Google platforms) 1.4.37.

I haven't moved over from plex yet, but considering. Could you update the wiki for supported formats as pgs isn't listed for android tv (shield). Strange that vobsubs is but not pgs.

afullmark

So, as it stands emby on shield tv has to burn in dvb and teletext subtitles but it doesn't quite work for live tv as per @@Spaceboy post. It is something that can be supported by exoplayer (I am guessing emby runs a custom version).

Spaceboy

yeah i realised i was wrong immediately after posting. wel;l not wrong but talking about different things. the example i have shown in the link above is for dvb-s subs whereas you are asking about dvb-t subs.

so its the OP's fault , he should have been more specific with his question  :P

maegibbons

Ok so I have to correct a few things!!

@@Spaceboy is not nuts!

Have just tested Live TV subtitles and see the "cannot play this video format"  :o 

This certainly was working some time back but have not used it recently.

the GOOD news is that subtitles DO WORK with recorded content - transoded.

Sorry if i muddied the water.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

Spaceboy

ok, maybe its not just DVBS then!!!!

i only noticed this because i am trying to get my mum to use the Fire TV and she is totally deaf so can't use it without subs.

also i did note its working fine with recorded tv, just not live tv...

afullmark

I'm no expert but as I understand it the uk uses dvb teletext or dvb subtitles which are bitmaps like pgs or vobsubs. I wanted to know how emby handled each of those. I'm not sure which is more common in the uk.

afullmark

ok, maybe its not just DVBS then!!!!

i only noticed this because i am trying to get my mum to use the Fire TV and she is totally deaf so can't use it without subs.

also i did note its working fine with recorded tv, just not live tv...

My partner also prefers subtitles. Wanted to make sure emby could display them on live or recorded be it burned in or direct played.

CBers

If it helps any, I have HDHomeRun subtitles working in the Emby web client (transcoding) and Android app (Direct Streaming), but not in the ATV app on my Shield.

No subtitles in any app with my IPTV source.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

If it helps any, I have HDHomeRun subtitles working in the Emby web client (transcoding) and Android app (Direct Streaming), but not in the ATV app on my Shield.

My subtitles in any app with my IPTV source.

exactly the same with subtitles from a dvb-s source. @@ebr seemed to have identified the problem in the thread i linked to, we are just awaiting a fix

• Like 1