Emby for NetGear ReadyNAS

Luke

Hi all on here.

I find my readynas 314 is not powerfull enough for a good experience.

What are others using ?

Are the new readynas boxes fine for transcoding ?

So I installed this latest version and it wiped out ALL of my settings.  I had to start at scratch.  I turned OFF Emby, then Installed the new version, and then turned it back on and there I am once again at the setup wizard.  I do this when upgrading PLEX all the time and I don't lose all my settings.   So now I have to fix everything.  Pretty annoying!

I never lost settings as well even if I remove emby and then install the update. 

Just installed the new update and it works in edge now. 

Edited by denz

So I installed this latest version and it wiped out ALL of my settings.  I had to start at scratch.  I turned OFF Emby, then Installed the new version, and then turned it back on and there I am once again at the setup wizard.  I do this when upgrading PLEX all the time and I don't lose all my settings.   So now I have to fix everything.  Pretty annoying!

@@JBDragon, this is because we have changed a few things from one version of this package to the next. Remember, we're just testing right now. Once it gets announced and goes up onto the website, then at that point you can depend on it for daily use.

So with that in mind, thank you for being a part of this testing group.

Ok, that makes sense.  I'm still using PLEX.  I've been testing EMBY  as I have a change.  There's Pro's and Con's with both.  The new version at least installed without any hickup's other then redoing the setup.  But for a new user, that would have been fine.  So it wasn't the end of the world as no one else was set up to use it anyway.  

Thanks to everyone who helped test. The installation instructions as well as a new update are now moving to the download page of our website, under NAS devices.

Going forward, the server will notify you when an update is available, just like the other operating systems do.

Thanks.

@@denz

@@vaise

@@KaptSlo

@@ruoverrated2

• 2 weeks later...

@@denz

@@vaise

@@KaptSlo

@@ruoverrated2

Your Emby Server will notify you of new stable releases, but if you'd like to try beta builds you can grab them from github: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases

The latest build comes with an exciting improvement - VA API hardware transcoding support.

Important - when enabling this you may need to update the the VA API device setting to it's new default value:
/dev/dri/renderD128
Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Emby Server 3.2.33 for ReadyNAS is up for download on our website. As part of our promise, ReadyNAS builds are immediately available following the new release. 

Enjoy.

Viperhansa

Emby Server 3.2.33 for ReadyNAS is up for download on our website. As part of our promise, ReadyNAS builds are immediately available following the new release. 

Enjoy.

Hi and thanks for the great work you guys do!

1 question, is it possible to run Emby as an different user?

I have 1 user already running stuff in the folders that emby updates and when that happen, emby will take ownership on all items and hence blocking my other "user"...

Regards

// Hans

alucryd

Hi and thanks for the great work you guys do!

1 question, is it possible to run Emby as an different user?

I have 1 user already running stuff in the folders that emby updates and when that happen, emby will take ownership on all items and hence blocking my other "user"...

Regards

// Hans

Unfortunately there's no way to run as another user from netgear's web interface. Changing the user would involve manually modifying the systemd service and change permissions on /home/emby via SSH, and you'd need to do that after every upgrade.

• Like 1

Viperhansa

Unfortunately there's no way to run as another user from netgear's web interface. Changing the user would involve manually modifying the systemd service and change permissions on /home/emby via SSH, and you'd need to do that after every upgrade.

OK, thanks for the answer..

Have to find a workaround somehow..

// Hans

• 3 weeks later...

Emby Server 3.2.34 for ReadyNAS is up for download on our website. As part of our promise, ReadyNAS builds are immediately available following the new release. 

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Emby Server 3.2.36 for ReadyNAS is up for download on our website. As part of our promise, ReadyNAS builds are immediately available following the new release. 

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
JBDragon

So, I don't know what's going on, but I didn't remove EMBY, just had it turned off for now.  But looking in my apps installed, it doesn't show up.  It's missing?!?! So I downloaded the newest update, and try to install and I get the message "Cannot install emby-server"  This is on my ReadyNAS 516.  

alucryd

@@JBDragon The app survives a reboot here, even if turned off. Could you ssh over to the NAS and run the following command?

dpkg -l | grep emby-server

If it is still installed, you should get something like this:

ii  emby-server                    3.2.36.0                   amd64        Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.

Then can you try downloading the deb manually onto the nas and install it via SSH?

dpkg -i emby-server-netgear_3.2.36.0_x64.deb

Thanks.

JBDragon

@@JBDragon The app survives a reboot here, even if turned off. Could you ssh over to the NAS and run the following command?

dpkg -l | grep emby-server

If it is still installed, you should get something like this:

ii  emby-server                    3.2.36.0                   amd64        Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.

Then can you try downloading the deb manually onto the nas and install it via SSH?

dpkg -i emby-server-netgear_3.2.36.0_x64.deb

Thanks.

So I SSH into the NAS, copy and pasted the line and hit enter and nothing happened.  It just went the next line like just hitting return with nothing on the line.  So I tried to just install and I get this.

root@READYNAS:~# dpkg -i emby-server-netgear_3.2.36.0_x64.deb
dpkg: error processing archive emby-server-netgear_3.2.36.0_x64.deb (--install):
 cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
 emby-server-netgear_3.2.36.0_x64.deb

JBDragon

First you have to copy the .deb to your nas, did you do that?

Ops, missed that, so I tried again, and still not working.  I'm getting this.

root@READYNAS:~/downloads# dpkg -i emby-server-netgear_3.2.36.0_x64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package emby-server.
(Reading database ... 31831 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack emby-server-netgear_3.2.36.0_x64.deb ...
Unpacking emby-server (3.2.36.0) ...
Setting up emby-server (3.2.36.0) ...
chown: changing ownership of '/apps/emby-server/data/.ssh/ssh_authorized_keys': Operation not permitted
dpkg: error processing package emby-server (--install):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 emby-server
root@READYNAS:~/downloads# 

I'm missing something.  Past install screwing things up?!?!

JBDragon

Ok, what I did was use a program called WinSCP, which allows me to access my NAS like it was a Windows directory.  I ended up Deleting the emby-server directory and when done I rebooted my NAS.  I was then able to actually install the software the normal way without SSH.  I did notice there's no EMBY showing in my Installed Apps.  Which would be nice.  Also nice if I could also easily turn it on/off like the other apps.  But it is running.  Knowing my NAS and the port EMBY uses, I can now log in and I'm not at the setup wizard page.