Emby for NetGear ReadyNAS

Luke

Please try it out and report your feedback. We expect to be able to shorten and simplify these instructions following the upcoming Ready NAS 6.8.0 release.

Thanks guys.

JBDragon

So I downloaded the file onto my Windows PC.   The one for deb x86-x64 as I have a Upgraded ReadyNAS 516.  Yep, faster processor and more ram.  Basically turned it into a 716 minus the 10 gigabit ports.  

Logged into the ReadyNAS, went to the App section, did a Upload of the file.  Same thing I do with PLEX.  It installed successfully.  Thought all was well. Flipped the switch from off to on and waited for a number of seconds like normal, and then it pops up a window and says Emby Server failed to turn on.  It looks like a normal ReadyNas APP like the others I have.   It won't start up.

598aad7d94ac0_Emby.png

vaise

Whats with the mono thing, and the ssh thing ?  Will these be gone with the new O/S version as you said ?  They are extra steps over the plex (and many other) style of install.  Thanks.

It only needs to be done once. Please try it out and report your experience. thanks.

alucryd

@JBDragon: Did you scp the mono file before installing ? ReadyNAS OS up to 6.7.5 has an old mono (4.2) in their repo, which takes precedence over the one Emby is trying to install (5.0). The mono file is there to make sure the newest mono is used by assigning custom priorities to mono packages. I haven't tried running Emby with mono 4.2 but I expect it wouldn't run.

@vaise: See above. These steps are needed because of one limitation and one bug. The limitation has been lifted in ReadyNAS OS 6.8.0-RC1 so step #1 is definitely no longer needed on that version. The bug I faced needs steps #3 and #4 to make the installation possible, it is being investigated and I hope it will be fixed by the time 6.8.0 comes out. That said, you may not encounter it already, I've only tried on a Virtual Machine, so your mileage may vary.

You can already try 6.8.0-RC1 if you feel like it, Netgear has put it up in their forums for testing.

@@vaise

@@JBDragon

The 6.8.0 ReadyNAS update is now available, and as promised the install steps have been simplified and you can install just like any other app. Please try it out and report your experience. Thanks !

JBDragon

Right now I'm having issues. I upgrade the firmware on my NAS.  I installed the software, it failed to start. Did the same thing.  So I uninstalled it.  Then I tried again, and it looked like it was installing more stuff and taking longer and so I figured maybe this time it's working.   But it's been stuck on the configure libmono-system-windows4.0-cil  it's been spinning it's wheel for a while now in the same spot. I think it's stuck and I don't know how to stop it as I can't do anything else.

OK, what I did was hit the Reload Page and looks ok, and it started up.

Edited by JBDragon

alucryd

@@JBDragon You faced the bug I was talking about, I'm usually stuck on that exact same dependency as well. The package should install fine either way, refreshing was the right call. A ghost fv-app-install process might keep running in the background, which is why I suggested killing it via SSH, but you can also just reboot if you're not into SSH.

vaise

Hi,

My readynas says there are no updates for it at this time......  going to wait for that.

Vaise.

The installation was straight forward the only issue was this below I left it for over 40 minutes and then restarted the nas and it worked. 

I have managed to watch Live tv it was even transcoding live tv without any issues but only one stream at a time. Music plays fine overall great result for the basic ReadyNas I have.  

598eb0964f3a9_Capture.jpg

KaptSlo

I tried to install emby-server_3.2.26.0_armel.deb on a RN102 running firmware 6.8.0. It looked like it was going to load, but then I received the following error notification:

Sun Aug 13 2017 8:28:25  System: Cannot install application emby-server.

Rebooted the NAS and tried again. Same result.

Any ideas on a next step would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by KaptSlo

alucryd

@@KaptSlo Could you try to install it manually over SSH ? This way you could get some logs about what's going on. Make sure to replace %READYNAS_IP% with your actual IP.

scp emby-server_3.2.26.0_armel.deb root@%READYNAS_IP%:~/
ssh root@%READYNAS_IP%:~/
echo "deb http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian jessie main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mono-official.list
apt-get update
apt-get install emby-server_3.2.26.0_armel.deb

If you get an error saying the mono repo can't be verified, you'll also need to import their GPG key.

apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

I'd appreciate if you could post all the output on pastebin so I can investigate. Thanks.

Edited by alucryd

vaise

I gave it a go, updated to latest readynas.  Downloaded the intel version (Readynas 314), uploaded, it downloaded a heap of stuff, then said installing various things, hen seemed to freez - I should have taken not of which of then.  I left it another 15 mns, then rebooted the NAS - but the app never showed up......

It probably hadn't finished yet. That's one thing we've noticed is that the installer can take a bit of time and you can't tell if it's done or not.

And by the way, Netgear has been responsive to us in terms of getting developer support, so we let them know about this issue of the installer appearing to hang, even though it hasn't.

vaise

OK - tried again.  This time I caught the last screens it was 'stuck' on - 'Installed libmono-debugger-soft4.0a-cil'.

It also throws up a message 'too many events to display. Check logs' earlier on in the process - but after the reboot, nothing in the logs to say what this was.

I waited over an hour, cant click OK on the message and a browser refresh shown no new app.

I rebooted the NAS (that's 2 reboots in 2 days - I have never ever rebooted it before myself).

No app shown.

V.

SisyphusBond

I created a forum account specifically to report on this. I've never actually used Emby before, and was just notified that an app for ReadyNAS had been created so I thought I would try it out.

I can't get it to install at all. I have tried many times, and the best I managed to get seemed to result in the app appearing on the interface, but it wouldn't turn on. Most of the time I just get a message saying that it has failed to install.

I have a ReadyNAS 214 with OS 6.8.0 and a few other apps installed without problem. I'm trying to upload the ARM version via the web interface in Chrome from a Windows 10 laptop.

Edited by SisyphusBond