Emby for NetGear ReadyNAS

Luke

alucryd

Ok, what I did was use a program called WinSCP, which allows me to access my NAS like it was a Windows directory.  I ended up Deleting the emby-server directory and when done I rebooted my NAS.  I was then able to actually install the software the normal way without SSH.  I did notice there's no EMBY showing in my Installed Apps.  Which would be nice.  Also nice if I could also easily turn it on/off like the other apps.  But it is running.  Knowing my NAS and the port EMBY uses, I can now log in and I'm not at the setup wizard page.

The app doesn't appear after installation, it's a netgear bug, you have to hit the refresh button for it to appear, at least that's what I've always experienced here.

Emby Server 3.2.40 for ReadyNAS is up for download on our website. As part of our promise, ReadyNAS builds are immediately available following the new release. 

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
x2desmit

I'm on ReadyNAS 6.9.1 and cannot install Emby. I know I've had it running before on this same NAS, but an older firmware.

I'm trying to upload the .deb file I downloaded from the downloads section and it fails to install at all.

I also remember this app being available in the app store, but it's not listed anymore. Any ideas on what to check?

I'm on ReadyNAS 6.9.1 and cannot install Emby. I know I've had it running before on this same NAS, but an older firmware.

I'm trying to upload the .deb file I downloaded from the downloads section and it fails to install at all.

I also remember this app being available in the app store, but it's not listed anymore. Any ideas on what to check?

What exactly does it say when you try to install it?

By the way guys, our latest release is now in the Netgear ReadyNAS app store. You're welcome to install via the store if you prefer that instead.

The store releases will generally run a little behind while it goes through the Netgear review process. Thanks !

x2desmit

What exactly does it say when you try to install it?

The error that shows up in the GUI log says nothing but this....

Mon Dec 18 2017 22:55:23

System: Cannot install application emby-server.

If you can point to a local log to check through SSH, I can look through that. THANKS for the help!! Love the app!

Edited by x2desmit

x2desmit

I think I figured it out.

There was a lingering user called emby from the other installation, and it had an ssh_authorized_key file that could not be deleted, therefore the home directory could not be deleted.

Once I cleared this directory out, the install completed and the service is now running.....

Strange.  :)

• 1 month later...

I am having trouble getting the latest update to install.  This is my first install on a 516 with firmware 6.9.2.  I downloaded emby-server-netgear_3.2.70.0_amd64.deb, went to Apps, and Upload.  After I hit Upload nothing happened.  Normally you get a popup with the status of the install.  I checked the NAS and nothing had been created in the apps folder.

Since I knew Emby was available through the Available Apps tab on the ReadyNAS, I went there and installed version 3.2.50 with no problem.  I then tried installing 3.2.70 again, but with the same result.  Any idea what is wrong?  I'd like to get the latest version installed.

Thanks...Brian

Perhaps just give it some time? It could just be moving slowly. Aside from that I'm not quite sure. Is that the latest firmware?

We have submitted our latest version to Netgear so hopefully not too much longer.

So I had an update for another app on my ReadyNAS and it installed fine.  Then I decided to try installing emby3.2.70 again and it worked this time.  Weird.

So I had an update for another app on my ReadyNAS and it installed fine.  Then I decided to try installing emby3.2.70 again and it worked this time.  Weird.

The manual install process from Netgear does have some issues and quirks. Throughout our process of releasing this package we had to file a defect with them and wait for it to be resolved. So it's happened before.

• 4 months later...
SisyphusBond

I created a forum account specifically to report on this. I've never actually used Emby before, and was just notified that an app for ReadyNAS had been created so I thought I would try it out.

I can't get it to install at all. I have tried many times, and the best I managed to get seemed to result in the app appearing on the interface, but it wouldn't turn on. Most of the time I just get a message saying that it has failed to install.

I have a ReadyNAS 214 with OS 6.8.0 and a few other apps installed without problem. I'm trying to upload the ARM version via the web interface in Chrome from a Windows 10 laptop.

Right. Quoting myself from a loooong time ago, as I suspect now that trying (and failing) to install Emby last year is what is now blocking me from being able to install, remove or update other apps.

There was, early on, a file marked as an ARM version and that is what I was trying to use. It never installed properly, and I gave up and moved on. Since that time though, I haven't been able to install other things properly either, and some playing around this evening suggested that my ReadyNAS 214 seems to think that emby is installed despite nothing useful appearing anywhere. There's nothing at all in the web based interface, and if I try to use SSH to remove it, I get this message:

Removing emby-server (3.2.26.0) ...
Failed to stop fvapp-emby-server.service: Unit fvapp-emby-server.service not loaded.
dpkg: error processing package emby-server (--remove):
 subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 5
Errors were encountered while processing:
 emby-server
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I only know a little of what I'm doing here and don't want to break anything important. Can anyone here help me to resolve this?

Edited by SisyphusBond

Hi, why not try to install from the netgear app store? It will be a little bit behind the latest version but you might have better luck with that.

SisyphusBond

Hi, why not try to install from the netgear app store? It will be a little bit behind the latest version but you might have better luck with that.

There isn't an ARM version available yet though, is there?

Or are you saying I should just try to install the other version?

Sorry, my mistake. Yes you are right. Unfortunately I'm not quite sure about that error message.

• 4 weeks later...
smithd77

So on the .NET bug holding up arm support they suggest there's been a new release of the platform that may not have the issue, has anyone tried building with the new release?

No update for you yet, but we are now building mono-based packages for platforms that can't run .net core so either way we can produce something. We will get to it. There's just a lot of platforms and we're going as fast as we can to build for them all. Thanks.

Alex3111

So I seem to be having the same problem.  And I am beyond mad at myself, as I always tell others:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... well, it broke trying to fix it.

ReadyNAS 314 running 6.9.3, was running "emby-server-netgear_3.4.1.0_amd64.deb"  looking into the Dashboard regarding subtitles that are not working for some movies, and see the Update to 3.5.0.0!   WHY... WHY... on a Friday night, WHY!  

Well, first tried doing the typical upgrade from the ReadyNAS Apps Upload, since I downloaded the "emby-server-netgear_3.5.0.0_amd64.deb".  That lead me to doing the install, but as soon as it came to the 'Configuring..." the alert screen closed, and a new one came up, that the application was not installed properly.  Refresh within the ReadyNAS screen, and nothing.  Well, tried installing the old/working 3.4.1.0 file, and same thing.  Tried from the app store, same thing.  SSH into my ReadyNAS and wget 3.5.0.0 link, download, apt install 

dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.5.0.0_amd64.deb as per the instructions that I found to install manually, and gave the following error: 

Setting up emby-server (3.5.0.0) ...
usermod: warning: failed to completely remove old home directory /home/emby Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/emby-server.service →/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service.
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10.netgear1) ...

Well, searched and the folder /home/emby has some .ssh file; can't erase due to permissions.  the /etc/systemd/system/multi....   /emby-server.service doesn't exist, and neither does the /usr/lib/systemd....   

Read on some other posts just above about  /var/lib/dpkg/info/emby-server.prerm   but that file wasn't there, 2 other emby-server.list and emby-server.postrm, I was able to erase both, but still can't install.  Also tried deleting the emby user, to see if it would remove anything to with emby; and nothing.  Can't get rid of them folders with .ssh files inside; permission not granted, yet I am logged in as root.

Please help!  Thanks in advance.