[SUPPORT THREAD] Embuary - A Emby Kodi Skin

sualfred

sualfred

Embuary != other skins

info = info of the currently playing media

video osd = video osd

Please understand that I won't change anything to fit to someones personal opinion. The main benefit of Kodi is to switch to a UI that fits you best and there are dozens of available and custimzable skins out there. So you have the freedom to choose if you don't agree with a skinners decision.

Edited by sualfred

Zodler

Exactly. I completely agree with you. You shouldn't do that and you are exactly doing that.

What that command does in Embuary is that it fits to someones personal opinion, to only one person's opinion. It shouldn't. What I'm saying does not fit into someone's opinion. It's a universal standard that everyone else uses. Stop should always stop. Play/Pause should always Play/Pause.

Info should show the progress bar with some extra info. The current info screen fits perfectly if you hit info on a stopped file name. If you hit Info on a non playing file, it would be perfectly adequate and great. I actually love that you show the complete file path. I propose that screen on a stopped file.

Edited by Zodler

sualfred

As I said, It will stay as it is. And this is not the only skin which uses those information there. 

Edit:

A few benefits of the info screen:

- "Oh cool movie that you are watching right now. What is it about?" -> Press info

- "I know this artist.. who the f is it?" -> Press info

- "I know him from a other movie, which was it?" -> Press info -> Select character

- "Oh, he plays in another movie that I don't know. Let's see if it's interesting for me" -> Press info -> select character -> select movie 

And it always was the default behaviour for PVR -> Info -> Info screen about the currently playing show. 

Most skins simply don't care about it and don't use the options of the available info types of the player. Even Estuary is very very limited.

Edit:

But I have a small idea as a comprise. Wait for the next version

Edited by sualfred

chjohans

I really like the info function as it is - very informative and I don't use it to see the progress of whatever is currently playing, there are other ways to do that.

And I have no issues with the "pause" function either. For me it pauses whatever I'm playing and shows the current progress of the playback, it does not "stop", I'm using my "stop" button for that.

I'm using Embuary with EmbyCon on a Raspberry Pi2 btw, I used to use Emby but switched to EmbyCon since my limited RPi ran out of memory too often when I used Emby. EmbyCon made the memory situation a bit better, but I still get an OOM crash every now and then.

I think we should thank sualfred for his hard work on this skin, for supporting it the way he does, and for sharing his hard work for free (which I assume was made for his personal use in the first place). Arguing with him over how his skin should work is not the same as showing gratitude in my book :)

Edited by chjohans

feerlessleadr

Hi sualfred - first, thanks for creating this skin, it is really cool.

I know that it isn't officially supported on Leia, however as I need to use Leia for an unrelated video playback fix, I figured I would download the embuary zip and give it a shot. Everything seems to look and work great, with the exception of the widgets on the various hubs.

Specifically, I'd like to modify the TV Hub widgets to just show next up and recently added. However, no matter what I select in the TV Hub section of the skin settings, the default widgets remain (continue watching, next up, etc.). Additionally, I've tried to un-select 'genre' & 'search' from the shortcuts section of the TV Hub settings, and both of those shortcuts remain, even after a skin reload. 

As I said, I know that Leia isn't officially supported, but here is a log, in case this is something that you would like to look into.

Thanks

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/R73gpwN8WS/

sualfred

It's a Kodi issue and works on my end with the nightly of today.

This PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13754 reworked a lot of the GUI stuff and something is broken or not completely merged in CoreElec yet.

It seems that this issue https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=330696&pid=2725643#pid2725643 is still present in your build.

Please check if a one week older LE/CE build solves your problem. 

Edited by sualfred

feerlessleadr

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll wait for another version bump and will report back if I notice anything else.

sualfred

If the next build won't solve your problem I suggest you to send your issue to AdamG/Raybuntu (or whoever is responsible for CE. It's too new to be aware of all contributors). It's definitely not skin related. Leia is buggy as hell atm.

horstepipe

Any reason why you removed the A to Z shortcuts in list view?

Any chance to add those at the top in the famous slide view? :-)

sualfred

I haven't found any good place without making the view ugly or overloaded yet.

• Like 1

horstepipe

@@horstepipe

Yes, ExtendedInfo works on my side. Please post your issue in Phils thread in the Kodi board, it's not skin related. But feel free to post a debug log so I can you take a look into it. Maybe it's a small issue and I also can assist you.

mhh I suspect that this problem is related to TVOS(Apple TV)

13:15:28.833 T:6168932352   DEBUG: script.extendedinfo: version 5.6.0 started
13:15:28.833 T:6168932352   DEBUG: script.extendedinfo: extendedactorinfo
13:15:28.833 T:6168932352   DEBUG: script.extendedinfo: {
                                                "handle": null,
                                                "name": "Denzel Washington"
                                            }
13:15:28.917 T:6168932352   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
                                            Error Contents: dlopen(/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/.python-eggs/Pillow-3.0.0-py2.7-macosx-10.4-x86_64.egg-tmp/PIL/_imaging.so, 2): no suitable image found.  Did find:
                                            	/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/.python-eggs/Pillow-3.0.0-py2.7-macosx-10.4-x86_64.egg-tmp/PIL/_imaging.so: file system sandbox blocked mmap() of '/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/.python-eggs/Pillow-3.0.0-py2.7-macosx-10.4-x86_64.egg-tmp/PIL/_imaging.so'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/addons/script.extendedinfo/default.py", line 63, in <module>
                                                Main()
                                              File "/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/addons/script.extendedinfo/default.py", line 37, in __init__
                                                listitems = process.start_info_actions(info, self.params)
                                              File "/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/addons/script.extendedinfo/resources/lib/process.py", line 348, in start_info_actions
                                                name=params.get("name"))
                                              File "/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/addons/script.extendedinfo/resources/lib/WindowManager.py", line 155, in open_actor_info
                                                from dialogs.DialogActorInfo import DialogActorInfo
                                              File "/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/addons/script.extendedinfo/resources/lib/dialogs/DialogActorInfo.py", line 11, in <module>
                                                from kodi65 import imagetools
                                              File "/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/addons/script.module.kodi65/lib/kodi65/imagetools.py", line 9, in <module>
                                                import PIL.Image
                                              File "build/bdist.macosx-10.4-x86_64/egg/PIL/Image.py", line 66, in <module>
                                              File "build/bdist.macosx-10.4-x86_64/egg/PIL/_imaging.py", line 7, in <module>
                                              File "build/bdist.macosx-10.4-x86_64/egg/PIL/_imaging.py", line 6, in __bootstrap__
                                            ImportError: dlopen(/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/.python-eggs/Pillow-3.0.0-py2.7-macosx-10.4-x86_64.egg-tmp/PIL/_imaging.so, 2): no suitable image found.  Did find:
                                            	/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/.python-eggs/Pillow-3.0.0-py2.7-macosx-10.4-x86_64.egg-tmp/PIL/_imaging.so: file system sandbox blocked mmap() of '/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/.python-eggs/Pillow-3.0.0-py2.7-macosx-10.4-x86_64.egg-tmp/PIL/_imaging.so'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--
13:15:28.930 T:6171799552   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogNotification.xml) ------
13:15:28.930 T:6171799552   DEBUG: Window DialogNotification.xml was already loaded
13:15:28.930 T:6171799552   DEBUG: Alloc resources: 0.00ms
13:15:28.997 T:6168932352 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(30, /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/addons/script.extendedinfo/default.py): the python script "/var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/F38D6CD9-D75C-4BE4-A068-89F66CBDE0A9/Library/Caches/home/addons/script.extendedinfo/default.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: N9XBMCAddon7xbmcgui10DialogBusyE
13:15:28.997 T:6168932352    INFO: Python script stopped

sualfred

Yep. But you can report this issue to Phil in his thread of the kodi.tv board.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
evensteven

Seems like poster view for movie boxsets is broken after the update to 17.0.3. I saw a commit about view availability. Is that intented? Because it's what I was using until it now disappeared.

evensteven

Thanks for the fast response. I fixed it myself for now. 

Two other things I observed:

When you set up the skin on a fresh install. So no EmbyCon, Emby DB and anything in the Kodi DB yet, the main menu entries (I think it were Addons and another one) go bogus and start to flicker like hell. Not sure how to describe this better, it looks weird. It stops as soon as the databases get filled. In my case after the initial Emby for Kodi run.

And there is a small issue with the cast I observed. I'm still trying to find a pattern. Sometimes It's the first one in the cast, sometimes it's someone in the middle of it. But the picture isn't displayed. Everything I can tell for now is. If it's the first one you have to scroll in the cast until he gets out of sight. If it's somewhere in the middle you just have to scroll one cast member further. Then the picture is shown. Afterwards if you back out of the info screen and open it again, everything is fine from then on. If I can help somehow to pin this down, tell me. It's not with every movie or show and I haven't found a real pattern yet. But it's always exactly one cast member affected, when it happens.

Edited by evensteven

sualfred

Thanks for the flickering issue. WIll be fixed.

And the missing picture of the cast is a Kodi bug. Sometimes the caching is like... how can I say.... out of sync? It's working as soon as the images is cached in textures.db and won't happen again.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

First of all, this skin has come so far since I last used it! I went away from using Kodi for a while but now I am back to needing it since moving all my computers and such over to Linux.

Anyway, I am running into one issue when exiting Kodi after installing the skin. It is taking anywhere from 20-30 seconds to close. I have done some of my own testing to see if it is the skin and I think it is, or at least one of the plugins it uses.

I am running Kodi Krypton on the Nvidia Shield and running the Kodi/Emby addon (the stable version).

If I re-install it then install any other skin or plugins I don't have the issue and exiting is instant.

I looked through the logs (which are attached) and it looks like it may be one of the plugins that are installed with the skin. This line leads me to that conclusion: 19:36:27.935 T:138395522128   ERROR: CPythonInvoker(3, /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.service/service.py): script didn't stop in 5 seconds - let's kill it

I tried reinstalling kodi and then installing the skin helper addon without installing embruary and exiting is still instant for me. May the default kodi skin doesn't use that plugin so it's not causing any problem?

Anyway, here is one of the logs generated just after exiting:

kodi.log

sualfred

I'm facing such long exists since years and haven't found out what's causing it. The funny thing is, if I choose "shutdown" it works almost instantly, just the application quitting without shutting down the machine takes longer sometimes.  And this was happening in all of my skins in the past.

As far as I understand the commits of the Kodi Leia development it's going to be improved for the upcoming v18.

Some people reported me that updating the skin helper scripts and it's modules from the GitHub sources also helped in some cases.

Edited by sualfred

jasonmcroy

I'm facing such long exists since years and haven't found out what's causing it. The funny thing is, if I choose "shutdown" it works almost instantly, just the application quitting without shutting down the machine takes longer sometimes.  And this was happening in all of my skins in the past.

As far as I understand the commits of the Kodi Leia development it's going to be improved for the upcoming v18.

Some people reported me that updating the skin helper scripts and it's modules from the GitHub sources also helped in some cases.

Ok, thanks for the response. That would be awesome if it gets fixed as Leia comes along. I haven't actually tried it in Leia. Maybe I will check it out in a day or so to see if it does it there too.

I may also try updating those scripts from GitHub and see if that does anything.

Thanks.

jasonmcroy

@@sualfred - Just some additional experience with this slow exiting time, I installed Leia today on my Shield device to test it out. The exit time went down to about 10 seconds from the usual 30-40 I was experiencing before. I haven't tried updating the skin helper from github yet, but will try that out tomorrow as well.

andre3030

hey sualfred!

Thanks for keeping us updated on the skin. It's by far the best in my opinion.

I recently switched from using SMB to an emby server and I'm wondering if it's possible to add a music party mix function. (random playlist).

You added this earlier to the local Music library, and now that I'm using Emby it would be great if this also would be possible under the Music (EmbyCon library).

Another thing: On the main page of Kodi there's a section of Live TV channels when a PVR is enabled.

Is it possible to configure this to the recent channels that I've used or to add some favourite channels?

Is seems they are added from the top of the TV list.

Keep up the good work.

I'm so looking forward to Leia final with your skin!

sualfred

Party mode is already available if you use Emby for Kodi. It's not available for EmbyCon, because it's a Kodi core feature.

Recent channels are also available. Just add/change it in the skin settings via the widget configuration dialog. You also can add your Kodi favourites as usual.

• Like 1

geotux

Hi folks,

would installing this Emby skin be the way to make Kodi more Emby friendly? I find it frustrating that after Kodi has parsed my Emby server for media sources, I actually have to go to "Add-Ons" to access the media where I find the same folder structure I have on my EMby server i.e. under "Movies" in the main Kodi Home menu, it's empty and it says "if you want to add media to your library, .... then ....".

Thanks