Move some defaults to server

arrbee99

arrbee99

Just so it doesn't get lost, as mentioned on post #120 (and others nearby) here

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49217-just-a-little-fun/page-6

It would be nice if a few settings, such as remembering themes, selecting/defaulting to thumbs (or banners etc) instead of posters in movie, TV, etc libraries could be saved in the server and not web pages, where they can be forgotten if caches are cleared.

• Like 1

Cheeseburger

I like this idea. If I want to show a new user how to set things up, and I adjust things for them, the moment they get on another browser/device it's just gone. For instance backdrops. I always want that on but I bet few of my users have ever switched that on themselves, even if they would have liked it. Same thing with always using poster card over poster.

Besides - backdrops, I think that could be a device-wide setting, and maybe also default to on upon user creation? Or do people overall prefer the less cluttered view more?

People generally want less clutter, but no matter what the default is, you might need a different setting on a slower device vs. a faster device.

Cheeseburger

I guess the poster card seems to slow things down a lot on some systems, but would the backdrops have a noticeable effect for most users?

Yes it can take time for the browser to download a big backdrop like that, and for the server to scale it if need be.

Cheeseburger

Unfortunate, as I really like both poster card and backdrops, in a few years time perhaps as devices have improved.

• 4 weeks later...