DLNA error when playing codecs found in CodecProfiles or not in a DirectPlayProfile

lol

Hi all,

Emby refuses to play videos encoded with codecs I've entered into the <CodecProfiles> portion of the DLNA profile.

This one for example...

Media Info
VideoCodecMPEG4
Codec tagDX50
Level-99
Resolution720x388
Aspect ratio1.85:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate25
Bitrate698 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1

This also happens if there's no DirectPlayProfile for the codec. For example, trying to play this to my Sony Bravia causes the error...

Media Info
VideoCodecVC1
Codec tagWVC1
ProfileAdvanced
Level3
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate20679 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1

Worth mentioning, I was getting this error on version .26 too. I've rolled back as I found DLNA unreliable and the wife wasn't happy :(

Log with error, and my DLNA profile are attached to this post.

Thanks,

server-63637574412.txt

Sony Bravia (2014) Custom.xml

Codecprofiles are not used to trigger direct play. They are use to define limitations to trigger transcoding.

To reproduce my problem:

Remove a codec from a DirectPlayProfile, so change this...

<DirectPlayProfile container="mkv" audioCodec="dca,ac3,aac,mp3,mp2" videoCodec="h264,mpeg4,vp8" type="Video" /> 

to this...

<DirectPlayProfile container="mkv" audioCodec="dca,ac3,aac,mp3,mp2" videoCodec="mpeg4,vp8" type="Video" /> 

Now if I try and play an MKV file with h264 video codec, nothing happens and I get the error logged as attached earlier.

Thanks,

Have you verified the transcoding format being delivered is something the TV is capable of handling?

Yes. I probably should have said - this all worked on previous versions of Emby. Couldn't tell you which though.

Do you have links to older versions I can test?

Ok, since you're not running the latest version anyway, I would probably start by updating. Thanks.

I've narrowed this error down to being caused by setting the protocol to "HTTP Live Streaming" in the video transcoding section of my DLNA profile.

I had to change the protocol from HTTP as I couldn't pause or seek when a video was being transcoded.

So for now I have changed back to HTTP as the videos at least play, albeit with no useful controls.

Could this error be looked into so I can go back to using HTTP Live Streaming?

Cheers,

P.S. I'm now running the latest version.

Sorry we have not done any testing up to this point with Dlna and HLS.

Part of what makes Dlna difficult is here you are assuming there is some problem with Emby that needs to be fixed, but what you should understand is that Dlna requires device-specific testing. You're asking me to fix a problem with HLS, well I'm not currently aware of any problems with it. More than likely, the Bravia has specific requirements that we need to learn about, and the only way to figure out what those are is just trial and error unfortunately. And then rinse and repeat for any other device we want to support over Dlna.

I do have a Bravia for testing, and the idea of testing HLS with Bravia Dlna is a possibility for a future update. Thanks.

Hi Luke, 

Thanks for the swift responses. Remember, post #6 I said the HLS setting was working on my Bravia previously. This is why I asked for links to old Emby versions so I could go back and test.

If I could find the latest build that this HLS function worked on, we'd be a step closer to fixing this.

Cheers,

EDIT: Found the previous releases. I'll see if I can find the last build this worked on.

Edited by lol