Chromecast Playback Issue

ewest1220

ewest1220

I've been having a Chromecast playback issue the last few weeks.  Whenever I try to play my movies from my Emby server to my Chromecast using either my computer or Android phone the video flickers, glitches and freezes almost immediately.  When this happens I lose the ability to control what's playing and even commands from the Google Home app have a massive delay.  If I just do nothing the audio will eventually cut out and the video will either freeze or my Chromecast will crash.  The only fix I've found is to go and switch the audio from AAC to AC3 5.1 right as I play the video.  This makes the video play without issue.  This happens for me with both the Chromecast 1 and 2.  I have also tried two different servers to see if that was causing the problem.  However this did not work for me either.  Any idea what might be causing this?  I should note that it worked flawlessly prior to the last few weeks.  Not sure what information would be most helpful but here is the info on what file type I'm using.

VideoCodecH264
Codec tagavc1
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution720x480
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760227
Bitrate1367 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAAC
Codec tagmp4a
ProfileLC
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate197 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleEng AAC stereo Default
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAC3
Codec tagac-3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate448 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
TitleEng Dolby Digital 5.1
Embedded ImageCodecPNG
Level-99
Resolution400x578
Framerate90000
Pixel formatrgb24
Ref frames1
DefaultNo
Containerm4v

In this example, by switching to the secondary audio track (ac3), it is going to force transcoding. So it is probably the transcoding that is curing whatever the issue is with the original file.

Can you provide a sample video for testing? thanks.

ewest1220

Sure thing, I'm sending a PM now with a link to one of the files that's causing the issue.  Thanks for the help!

ewest1220

So after doing a bit of digging I found this bug reported to Google.  It's technically a bug found in Plex however I think that it may have a lot to do with what's happening here.  Apparently that specific audio configuration is causing issues with all Chromecast devices after some recent updates. (Aren't I lucky?)  I'm not sure if this is an issue that Emby can solve or if it will just have to be solved on Google's end.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/63117638