Media Playback Issues XBox One and ET on Windows 10

UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Hello,

I normally playback using the Xbox One but have experienced difficulty with audio and video.  Randomly, the video will skip back and repeat the last ten or fifteen seconds.  Randomly, the video freezes frame and audio continues play back.  If the video starts again, the audio is out of sync and often the subtitles are out of sync with the audio.  If I stop playback, return to the menu, and then resume it usually corrects itself, but not always.   On other occasions, the audio randomly makes a rapid whirring or buzzing sound for several seconds.  It will not recover if I skip back.  I have to stop playback to correct.

For one video, I repeated the symptoms with Emby Theater on Windows 10 but did not troubleshoot further.

Some symptoms are similar to a post from CBers linked below.

I provided a link to the recent log files, please let me know if you need additional information to troubleshoot.  Also let me know if there are any setting I can make to reduce the transcoding and help the situation.

Thanks.

Log files

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnfmLnbQksWOhBQkg7k5lqTIts79

CBers post

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46346-xbox-one-creators-update-issues/?p=450770

Edited by UnderMiner

Hi there, there are a lot of log files there. Can you please indicate exactly which one corresponds to the example you're describing? thanks.

UnderMiner

Hello Luke,

The errors occurred consistently the last three days over two different movies.  I deleted all but today's log which should contain an example of the video freezing and then the audio continuing.  I also restarted the movie and tried other subtitle tracks.  I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
UnderMiner

Hello,

We played a movie with no skipping back or audio issues with the latest version of server and XBox app.  I believe this is fixed.

There were issues with the subtitles, at first they were not being recognized and then they were out of sync.  Note the the subtitles worked well for a while but when we came back to resume the movie, I could not get them back in sync.  This issue also existed before on a variety of movies.

I have some hearing impairment and improved subtitle sync would be appreciated but I am probably in the minority.  I will keep testing and learning.

Keep on improving!

Thanks,

UnderMiner

Hello,

I have played back several files this week and report that many issues have much better.

Twice we experienced the skip back (on two different files) but very different this time: it only repeated less that two seconds of video and it recovered very quickly as well as keeping the video and audio in sync after the recovery.

UnderMiner

Hello,

We record TV programs daily using the HDHomerun.  For the last four or five days we have audio issues on all the files we record.  Approximately twice per half hour recording we will have random points where the audio is a static hum for three to ten seconds.  For similar duration, we have instances where the audio is not recorded at all.  We also have experienced the audio out of sync.  For one program we recorded the descriptive audio track for vision impaired viewers but I have not had a repeat occurrence.

The files were all recorded by Emby and I placed additional log files at the following link https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnfmLnbQksWOhBRWQBDKooQwLC11

The recent improvements have been appreciated and we generally have much better seek and load times.

We still have issues with audio and some with subtitles, hopefully the team will have an opportunity to address soon.

Thanks.

UnderMiner

Hello,

Today we also experienced similar issues on a movie file.  I placed another folder at the same link as my previous post (dated Sep 1).  Refer to the file "ffmpeg-remux-4b798258-f2c8-4285-9f2a-20a95da9f8bd" at 9:59 P.M. as the latest example.

The same audio hum and and also video pause and pixelation while the audio continues.  It is then out of sync and cannot recover.

UnderMiner

Hello,

I continued to use Emby and based on testing, the issues with audio sync are based on Playback only.  Every video I playback on the Xbox One S will have an audio sync issue twice within a 30 minute video.

Because we watch and record TV daily, we are hoping you and the team will be able to resolve soon.

If we stop video playback and then resume, the audio and subtitles return in-sync 80% of the time.

I tested that the recorded files are not the source of the audio sync issues because playing back the same portions of the recording I cannot repeat the issues (they playback flawlessly).

• 3 weeks later...
UnderMiner

We record TV daily and every day the audio is replaced with a static hum that is very annoying.  It occurs on most files approximately once per 30 minutes but at random intervals.  The static hum is loud and lasts for approximately ten to fifteen seconds.

I posted today's example logs and the playback incident was at approximately 8:30 PM.  Please let me know if there is something we can do to address this issue.  I have mentioned this in previous posts, we playback on Xbox One S and we use an HD Homerun device.

Thanks,

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnfmLnbQksWOhBRWQBDKooQwLC11

UnderMiner

I have the following enabled and use the mkv format to allow playback and recording at the same time.

"Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format

Recordings will be converted on the fly to MKV for easy playback on your devices."

I have the H264 encoding CRF set to 25.

• 2 weeks later...
tobias-tobin

I haven't been watching Emby on my xbox one every day so I don't know when to say it started.  But I noticed yesterday and today, content will gradually lose audio sync.  This should be direct play since it is on my lan.  If I change the playback bitrate in xbox one gear icon, the playback will return to sync'd audio.  I will keep an eye on it today and see if I find any pattern or anything.  I will also see if I can match the audio sync loss with data in the logs for quicker review.  Mostly I just wanted to let you know I am seeing this behavior myself.  Emby server is at Version 3.2.33.0.  Thanks, tobias.

UnderMiner

Hello Tobias,

I still experience audio issues daily and I posted a related topic at this link https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51229-recorded-tv-audio-cuts-out-replaced-with-loud-hum/

In my experience, I will skip past the audio drop out area when we have silence or a hum.

If we stop the playback and then resume, the audio usually comes back into sync, but not always.

Our system is also directly wired to the LAN.

This happens on a variety of file formats but our main use is for recorded TV programs.

I have left all settings at default but I could try changing settings.

You mentioned changing a bit rate, was that in the Emby gear icon or in the Xbox native settings?

UnderMiner

Hello,

We continue to experience the hum during playback on Xbox One S.  The audio issues seems to be the playback on the Xbox software.

If we skip back and play over the area with the problem, it will not repeat.  It seems to be a random audio playback issue and not in the source media.

My other issue related to this topic is linked at https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49657-media-playback-issues-xbox-one-and-et-on-windows-10/