SMB instead of HTTP

thejacer87
Go to solution Solved by thejacer87,

thejacer87

so here's my setup:

Media Server: shitty computer that runs sonarr, transmission etc. and the HDDs storing all the media are here. SMB server is here!

My Main computer: running the emby server

Rpi3 with Kodi: uses the emby for kodi add-on. obviously connects to the emby server at 192.168.1.X (emby server IP). No playback issues. But if i try to use smb. it tells me it can't connect to smb://192.168.1.X/path_to_file. Well that's obvious, my main computer doesn't have an SMB server. so in the network settings i add for the ip 192.168.1.Y (media server ip) and the network creds.

but when i go to play a video, i get the same error saying "can't connect to smb://192.168.1.X/path_to_file". So i guess my question is: What is the correct way to smb to a different server than the emby server? Or, is that even possible?

thanks 

thejacer87

You want it to play from a different server?

ya, the computer the emby server is running on is not the same computer as the server that holds the media

• Solution
thejacer87

I think this is what you want.

To have your clients play directly from your SMB server you need to set up Emby Server to use the SMB server as your library source.

Then in the client set the Emby for Kodi addon to use Direct Path playback.

This should allow you to browse your media from your Emby server and play back your media from your SMB server.

yep, that's what i want. i figured out the issue. on the emby server, for the "(Optional) Shared Network Folder" i had the emby server IP, not the samba server IP. I fixed that, flipped the switch in kodi, and smb playback is working as expected.

thanks guys

Edited by thejacer87
  • Like 1