Interpreting log - Transcoding w/ Quicksync

ThermoDust

ThermoDust
/usr/bin/ffmpeg -ss 01:34:18.000 -i file:"/srv/b2e24e20-856e-4b9e-9fa5-c504efb2b7cc/Media/Movies/Ratatouille (2007)/Ratatouille (2007).mp4" -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -threads 0 -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map -0:s -codec:v:0 libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset veryfast -crf 23 -maxrate 2871711 -bufsize 5743422 -profile:v high -level 4.1 -x264opts:0 subme=0:me_range=4:rc_lookahead=10:me=dia:no_chroma_me:8x8dct=0:partitions=none -force_key_frames "expr:gte(t,n_forced*3)" -vf "scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,1920)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -copyts -vsync -1 -codec:a:0 copy -f segment -max_delay 5000000 -avoid_negative_ts disabled -start_at_zero -segment_time 3 -segment_time_delta -5658 -individual_header_trailer 0 -segment_format mpegts -segment_list_type m3u8 -segment_start_number 1886 -segment_list "/var/lib/emby-server/transcoding-temp/3b94f4fbda40e23c54cb9833a1b959d6.m3u8" -y "/var/lib/emby-server/transcoding-temp/3b94f4fbda40e23c54cb9833a1b959d6%d.ts"

I am trying to figure out if my system is using quicksync. If I am reading that line correct, it isn't telling FFMPEG to use hwaccel. Is that normal for the transcoding with hardware acceleration?

Emby Version 3.2.26.0

Logs: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtItXRNac1nKhfBw9ih_VuIY2XJFJA

Emby Version 3.2.26.0

Edited by ThermoDust

Unfortunately the server log is only a snippet and exludes everything that came before, including the server startup sequences. Please recall from how to report a problem that we ask:

• Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. When you attach the log, please also discuss what actions you took, and what the results were.

Thanks !

ThermoDust

Unfortunately the server log is only a snippet and exludes everything that came before, including the server startup sequences. Please recall from how to report a problem that we ask:

• Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us. When you attach the log, please also discuss what actions you took, and what the results were.

Thanks !

Updated with a full boot up seq.

Ok so your system installed ffmpeg build is very old and does not have quicksync libraries, so that is why it's not being used. So you could try updating that.

ThermoDust

You(@Luke) or anyone else know of a Debian Jessie repo that is running the newer version of ffmpeg and is maintained? As I don't want to manually install this kind of stuff. 

Jdiesel

You(@Luke) or anyone else know of a Debian Jessie repo that is running the newer version of ffmpeg and is maintained? As I don't want to manually install this kind of stuff. 

I don't have any experience with Quicksync but this is how I got vaapi hardware transcoding enabled and working on my Intel GPU. 

Try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install vainfo i965-va-driver

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
sudo reboot

After the reboot run 

sudo usermod -a -G video emby
su - emby
vainfo

You should get a list of supported codecs.

Go to your Emby Dashboard and enable VA API and for the VA API Device enter:

/dev/dri/card0

and change your ffmpeg path to:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg

Reboot Emby server and you should be good.

Edit: Just noticed you were on Debian not Ubuntu, not sure if that repository will work or if there are any Debian repositories with ffmpeg complied with vaapi or quicksync enabled.

Edited by Jdiesel

ThermoDust

I tried VAAPI. Doesn't even load the video and vainfo gives an error. From what I have been reading today is it is a Kaby Lake issue.

SkyBehind

/Dev/dri/card0 used to work, but once I updated ffmpeg this last go around, it stopped working. I checked permissions, groups and all that to no avail.

I switched device to /dev/dri/renderD128 and it works fine now. In fact, I dare say it actually works much better, though time will tell.

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm not extremely familiar with the various devices under dri