4K movies play intermittent on Sony Smart TV

Hauzz

I have Emby for Android TV installed on a Sony kd-65xd7505 smart TV.

On Windows 10 I have installed Emby Server 3..2.26.0

My movies are on a NAS and all devices are in the same gigabit network.

When I start the app on my TV and select a 4K movie, playing starts but stops after a few seconds. Then, some 6 seconds later, the movie continues to play for about 10-15 seconds and stops again.

This goes on for as long as I keep watching.

HD movies play without any issue, it looks like the app is buffering all the time although the network speed is good.

When I transfer a movie from my PC to the NAS, transferring rate is more or less 50 MB/s.

I hope anyone has a solution to correct this strange behavior.

Thanks in advance,

Hans

Jdiesel

I have Emby for Android TV installed on a Sony kd-65xd7505 smart TV.

On Windows 10 I have installed Emby Server 3..2.26.0

My movies are on a NAS and all devices are in the same gigabit network.

When I start the app on my TV and select a 4K movie, playing starts but stops after a few seconds. Then, some 6 seconds later, the movie continues to play for about 10-15 seconds and stops again.

This goes on for as long as I keep watching.

HD movies play without any issue, it looks like the app is buffering all the time although the network speed is good.

When I transfer a movie from my PC to the NAS, transferring rate is more or less 50 MB/s.

I hope anyone has a solution to correct this strange behavior.

Thanks in advance,

Hans

Is the video direct playing? Can you post server logs and transcode logs is there is any?

I'm not sure what you mean by "direct playing" can I change that in the app or do I have to make changes in the server?

I would post the logs if I knew where to find them, sorry for my ignorance. 

OK, when I start the movie I see this on the dashboard

5980ce6d32392_DirectPlaying.jpg

Then, when the spinner ends, I see this

5980ceb86e65f_Transcoding.jpg

When I click on info this window pops up

5980cefec08db_TranscodingInfo.jpg

I've attached 2 log files that were created when I started the movie, I hope this is of use.

Thanks

ffmpeg-transcode-bc2e0635-b22a-4177-9c7b-ebe88e966deb.txt

server-63637214171.txt

Jdiesel

It appears that the file is being transcoded from h265 to h264 which is very resource intensive and is likely more than your NAS can handle. Hopefully @@Luke or @@ebr can see why the file isn't direct playing as the Sony TV should support h265 videos.

You may wish to try increasing your in-app quality settings which the video may be exceeding causing the server to transcode.

Thanks for your answer @@Jdiesel. Am I right that @Luke or @ebr are also looking into it?

I've looked for settings in the app itself but did not find anything else then changing the maximum bit rate....

What should I look for?

regards.

Edited by Hauzz

It is transcoding because the app is requesting only stereo audio.  Is that all the TV can handle or did you set the app Audio setting to "Mix down to stereo"?

Jdiesel

Is the video also being touched? It appears that it is going from 40Mbps h265 to 80Mbps h264.

I've just changed that, it was set to "compatible", now it is set to "direct".

The sound is via SPDIF connected to my receiver.

The sound is OK, but the movie is still playing intermittently and I still see transcoding in the dashboard.

Edited by Hauzz

Jdiesel

I'm sorry @@Jdiesel, English is not my native language, what do you mean by "Is the video also being touched"?

My apologies, that was directed towards @@ebr. I was simply asking if video needs to be converted or only the audio.

Edited by Jdiesel

OK  :D .

As far as I can see from the info window, it's only the audio..... but then again, I'm not the expert ........

I've just changed that, it was set to "compatible", now it is set to "direct".

The sound is via SPDIF connected to my receiver.

The sound is OK, but the movie is still playing intermittently and I still see transcoding in the dashboard.

Was a new ffmpeg log produced?

Are you referring  to server-63637214171.txt or the ffmpeg?

The server-63637214171.txt contains also data from the movie I was watching on my PC and that is stereo

The last transcode log you posted still is requesting 2 channel audio.  It may be that is all your hardware setup supports.

Well, when I play a HD movie, I hear perfectly 5.1 sound and the dashboard shows "direct" playing..... so imho that could not be the problem.

I'll remove the log files and do a fresh start, hang on....

Edited by Hauzz

So, I deleted all log files and started first a HD movie, it played without any problems with 5.1 sound, the dashboard showed this

5980efa61d79f_Directstreaming.jpg

Thereafter I played the 4K movie and the dashboard showed "transcoding" again  :(

Attached are the log files, I really hope you can find the issue.....

regards,

Hans 

ffmpeg-remux-37339e71-59d9-43e5-9186-8b7e9a344eff.txt

ffmpeg-remux-dc92ab3a-97cf-4508-9b83-2eb7ee0e254a.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-a9d1e808-428b-4292-82b6-f161f15561d4.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-bd7fb0b1-cf2f-49d3-9020-2e1f9b4015ae.txt

server-63637214171.txt

Your HD movie was converted to stereo as well.  What this means is your system is reporting it can only accept a 2-channel input.  We are feeding it that and your receiver is then expanding that to 5.1 using one of the Dolby algorithms more than likely.

OK, but should the TV be able to play 5.1?

And why don't I see transcoding with the HD movie?

I really don't get it

Thanks for your effort

Edit

Here https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-65xd7505/specifications are the specs for the TV..... what can you make of it?

Edited by Hauzz

Jdiesel

The Sony's implementation of Android TV does not use the standard API's therefore passthrough audio does not work. This is the same issue with Kodi when they switched over to the standard Android audio APIs and one of the reasons I don't recommend the Sony Androids TVs. They also don't use the Android Display Mode API which allows apps to utilize dynamic refeshrate switching but that is another kettle of fish.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16I2L2dKm3NGVkAilSOxO6i6fuylp2UEUi-DwE7CUPc8/pub#h.ajd2e8v8nm6a

Something funny is still going on though as a Windows PC should have no problems downmixing DTS to 2-channel aac audio. The issue lies in the decoding of the hvec video which the Android TV should play directly. Is it not possible to stream copy the video while downmixing the audio?

Edited by Jdiesel

We're looking into why the video doesn't stream copy in this case.  The audio issue is just a tangent and is not the cause of his performance problem.